Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
In my total ignorance, I actually thought that we'd lost when they took our 10th wicket with that runout. I didn't even know "super overs" existed. Never seen it.

That was probably the greatest sporting theatre I have ever seen. Utterly incredible.

Yup agreed Easy......up there with Torvill and Dean.....and that's not a p*ss take.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Also this. Without opening up other debates the idea that women’s football is free on the BBC and CWC and The Ashes isn’t is the wrong way round. At least the final was free on terrestrial. My son was riveted and now wants to play

If it was left to the BBC, they'd probably want him to play netball.

Glad he loved it. It was very much a 'where were you' moment that he'll treasure in the years to come.

Let's hope it encourages more kids, boys and girls, to put their phones down for a while and pick up a bat and ball instead.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Wow. Just Wow.

Imagine how those Kiwi boys must feel? The rule that they have to get more than the side that bats first in the super over seems a bit unfair. Still, I guess the game had to end somehow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's going to be a tie. Prepare yourselves!

Hi, I was just wondering whether you could tell me what the Euromillions numbers will be this week please.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If it was left to the BBC, they'd probably want him to play netball.

Glad he loved it. It was very much a 'where were you' moment that he'll treasure in the years to come.

Let's hope it encourages more kids, boys and girls, to put their phones down for a while and pick up a bat and ball instead.

Nice idea but no chance. Sadly.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Although I'm England, sport is cruel
Too painful for the losers as it is all about the winning which is everything and even worse when it is extremely fine margins
Really feel for the Kiwis who don't seem to have any tossers in their team
Think I would have enjoyed the after victory more if the margins had been wider
What a game though with the many twists and turns

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup agreed Easy......up there with Torvill and Dean.....and that's not a p*ss take.

Well, T and D didn't have my bumhole grinding diamonds like today.

Its absolutely astounding that 47 games played out this summer without coming CLOSE to the ridiculous drama of that Final. Thats it. It will never be topped. No cricket finale will ever be as dramatic as what we saw this afternoon.

Jerry Bruickheimer is already pitching screenwritings.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
In my total ignorance, I actually thought that we'd lost when they took our 10th wicket with that runout. I didn't even know "super overs" existed. Never seen it.

That was probably the greatest sporting theatre I have ever seen. Utterly incredible.
I think the rules should be changed so that’s the case.

But if that was the case, they would’ve stuck on the single and forced the super over. Wood was actually very slow getting back as the non striker and should have made it home.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Although I'm England, sport is cruel
Too painful for the losers as it is all about the winning which is everything and even worse when it is extremely fine margins
Really feel for the Kiwis who don't seem to have any tossers in their team
Think I would have enjoyed the after victory more if the margins had been wider
What a game though with the many twists and turns
Agreed but if we had missed that run out they would have won and deservedly. Fine margins but we were worthy winners of a very close contest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow. Just Wow.

Imagine how those Kiwi boys must feel? The rule that they have to get more than the side that bats first in the super over seems a bit unfair. Still, I guess the game had to end somehow.

No. They lost because they scored less boundaries in the match.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

To my embarrassment of my late dad who was Cricket mad, I barely follow it except the Ashes. He played, started teams, coached and dragged me into the nets at an early age. I was only really aware of the World Cup through some cricket mad people at work.

I decided to watch the last hour and was instantly absorbed. Struggling to remember a sports event that had all that, so I agree.

Pure theatre.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Wow. Just Wow.

There is no such rule.

Here are the rules:
Weather permitting, the Super Over will commence 10 minutes after the main match. Each team bats one over under the same restrictions as for the final over in a pool match.
The team batting second in the main match will bat first in the Super Over.
Each side has three nominated batsmen, meaning that the loss of two wickets ends the Super Over.
In the event of the scores being level in the Super Over, the first satisfied of the following criteria will determine the winner:
1. If the regular match utilised the Duckworth–Lewis method, criterion 4 immediately applies.
2. The team with the most number of boundaries combined from the main match and the Super Over is the winner.
3. The team with the most number of boundaries from the main match (that is, not including the Super Over) is the winner.
4. A count-back from the final ball of the Super Over shall be conducted. The team with the higher scoring delivery is the winner. Runs scored from illegal deliveries count towards the total for the following legal delivery.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Willow your country are an absolute pride to you, it was close, it could have gone either way, but feel proud mate.

Haha NZ, feel proud that you came second!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Phew. Got my breath back.

I feel so much for New Zealand, they were so unlucky with the 4 extra runs off Stokes's bat (and that after they should have had him out).

Should New Zealand have used Ferguson for the super over?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My sheer admiration and relief for Archer knows no bounds. Having to defend 15 runs off 6 balls is complete and utter brown trouser time for a bowler, and frankly, I'm AMAZED that the rookie was put in ahead of Woakes. The entire World Cup was in his right hand. A nation on his shoulders. And he bloody wobbled BIG time, but he got there. Imagine being in his shoes, knowing that for the rest of his career, his LIFE, he'd have been known as the guy who blew the 2019 World Cup. I don't know how he was selected, but I'm assuming he must've put his hand up in that dressing room and said "I got this".

Fair play fella.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely heartbroken. As a half New Zealander that was the bitterest of pills. Well done England, cricket, what a game it is.
It won't help, but you can consider yourselves unlucky. They didn't bottle it either, it just didn't go their way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here