Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If we REALLY put some effort in, we can probably ensure that this thread stays on the first page of the board until the NEXT Cricket World Cup...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not arguing that England didn't win the match, they did, quite obviously! However, England were chasing a winning target of 242 and they failed to reach that total. Not ideal, is it? What I am saying is, the law is an ass. I would say exactly the same if the Black Caps benefited from the same daft boundary count ruling. Cricket matches should be won by the team that scores the most runs.

Yes the ****ing did.

Can we close this thread please, it's getting tedious. England are winners of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not arguing that England didn't win the match, they did, quite obviously! However, England were chasing a winning target of 242 and they failed to reach that total. Not ideal, is it? What I am saying is, the law is an ass. I would say exactly the same if the Black Caps benefited from the same daft boundary count ruling. Cricket matches should be won by the team that scores the most runs.

All I did was quote you. You said it was a draw. It wasn’t.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You think this thread hangs it out...go on to Facebook in any picture that england post and all it is full of is Indians and Pakistanis suggesting that we cheated and New Zealand are the real winners.

One chap got very animated and even Indian fans were ripping into him when it was revealed he was a Pakistan fan who hated every English person. Surprised Facebook didn’t shut his account down pronto!

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
No it wasn’t. England won by the rules of the game as set at the START of the game. At no point was it declared a draw.

England won the match as per the rules of ODI cricket. That’s the start and end of it, as much as you might understandably wish otherwise.
By the rules we lost by one run.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

No we didn't. We won on boundaries scored following a game where both sides got the same number of runs, then a Super Over where both sides got the same amount of runs. This was all in the rules BEFORE the game. We won.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Afraid not. The LAWS dictate that the umpires are the arbiters of what runs are scored. They made their decisions. The scores were tied. The super-over scores were then tied (but shouldn't have been - the incorrect wide call first ball cost England three runs). And England were thus awarded the match, courtesy of the pre-agreed tournament rules.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Is anyone else enjoying all the ANGRY Indians posting comments about how England are cheats and didn't win the World Cup? As soon as I see a post about it on Facebook, I'm straight into the comments to see just how wound up they are. It's brilliant.

India didn't even make the final. I can't imagine what it would be like if it was them we'd beaten in the same manner. I think they'd all explode.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is anyone else enjoying all the ANGRY Indians posting comments about how England are cheats and didn't win the World Cup? As soon as I see a post about it on Facebook, I'm straight into the comments to see just how wound up they are. It's brilliant.

India didn't even make the final. I can't imagine what it would be like if it was them we'd beaten in the same manner. I think they'd all explode.

Thank you. And thank you again. After reading your post I "followed" England Cricket on Facebook, and you;re right, some of the comments from non-English posters are hilarious :lolol:

My favourite so far....

#fakechampions foerver
#they robbed gentlemen
All world know that they are not real champion
What a shameful lesson given to the next generation.If I was in place of Morgan,I wouldn't accept the trophy but instead have shared with the opposition...#JusticeForNewZealand.

#JusticeForNewZealand :lolol: :tosser:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not a great surprise given how many angry English fans doing the same on here. :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
'ICC Cricket World Cup' on Facebook is quite a read. A lot of Hindu nationalist/Islamophobic/photos of shot down Indian air force pilots and Pakistani surface to air missiles shooting him down in response etc bile, among the general New Zealand were robbed/England are fake champions type comments. Of the actual cricket related stupid remarks on there, the below sums up the overall level of intelligence:

Check out Archer and Rashid during the terrible anthem of Santa save our Queen ! They aren’t their because they are proud to be British but proud to be paid to be British.

:facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the previous knockout situation, a semifinal between Aus and SA, Aus went through on their record in the previous group phase.
Oh what a disgrace, won't somebody think of the children :flounce:

I wouldn't call it count back. Like Duckworth Lewis Method, the team batting second had a target. In this case NZ knew at the start of the super over the tie was England's, they needed +1. It was what it was.
Exactly. They were told they needed 16 to win. 15 and they'd lose. They lost.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here