Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex v Lancashire.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
These imbeciles are dragging the good name of our county down with them.

Show some fight lads

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Oh, I don't know. I remember the early to mid 70s when we had a top order containing Jerry Morley (av 23), Mark Faber (av 22), Jerry Groome (av 15), Simon Hoadley (av 17), Mike Buss (av 24) and Austin Parsons (av 26). Peter Graves with an average of 27 was probably the best of them. We finished in the bottom three for about six or seven years.
Yes... that mid-70s top order will hopefully never be surpassed for consistent ropiness. I am lucky in that, while I was present at the ground, I am just too young to remember their exploits with any clarity.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Salt and Rawlins showing some fight.

These are decent young cricketers. Maybe today will be a good day for them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Salt and Rawlins showing some fight.

These are decent young cricketers. Maybe today will be a good day for them.

Yep. And to draw parallels with the 70s, things changed when Mendis and Parker came through the ranks. Rawlins really does look the real deal

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This season is alarming proof that getting in (ostensibly) competent people in behind the scenes doesn't always translate into onfield success. At least not immediately.
It seems that Gillespie might be more suited to keeping a team of talents on an even keel than rolling his sleeves up and doing a year round coaching job if that is what is needed at Hove...?

But ultimately it is 95% about the players and not about coaches. The teams put out over the past six weeks or so haven't been good enough.

Why? Hard to say. Injuries and unavailability are factors but not excuses. They have combined with loss of form from key players.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Unlucky end for Salt but very tricky with Parkinson turning it out of the rough.

Won't last long this afternoon.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh, I don't know. I remember the early to mid 70s when we had a top order containing Jerry Morley (av 23), Mark Faber (av 22), Jerry Groome (av 15), Simon Hoadley (av 17), Mike Buss (av 24) and Austin Parsons (av 26). Peter Graves with an average of 27 was probably the best of them. We finished in the bottom three for about six or seven years.

Except that those guys had it harder batting on UNCOVERED pitches.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Except that those guys had it harder batting on UNCOVERED pitches.
Looking at those averages you'd certainly like to think so but actually they just weren't very good batsmen (by first-class standards) ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here