Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gardeners' World This Evening, BBC 2. Different to Usual.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Inspired to try and do something myself, although have never gardened before so no idea what I am doing :D

Thinking of getting some sleepers to section off a side, maybe build it up a bit, stick in a water feature.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
View attachment 112909

Taken just now, evergreen and there are lots of berries waiting to ripen which the birds will guzzle and make a mess all over the decking :)

You've really posed a tricky one Norm!
Another possibility, and quite unusual, Diospyros (Japanese Persimmon)?

Attachments

• diospyros_jiro2.jpg
    diospyros_jiro2.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Norms plant.jpg
    Norms plant.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

You've really posed a tricky one Norm!
Another possibility, and quite unusual, Diospyros (Japanese Persimmon)?

Perhaps I should start a "Norman's Tree" thread with regular updates, perhaps even webcam :) Must come and have a look at the Rock Garden to see the efforts of those involved.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a bed of roses and have spotted this handsome chap several times. We had to look it up to find out what he or she was.
It turns out it is a rose chafer. It hasn't harmed our roses at all, can fly, so no point in removing it, as it will just fly back.

Rose Chafer 27.5.19.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We have an area at the back of the garden which is in shade after about midday and anything growing has to compete with tree roots. It is hardly meadow material. Do you have any suggestions - or as per Edna ?

There are lots of lists of plants on-line for all different situations. It would seem you have an east facing garden with dappled shade and limited depth of soil.
This web-site should help you get where you need.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/the-best-shade-loving-plants/
Virtually all plants will be of benefit to some sort of creature!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have a bed of roses and have spotted this handsome chap several times. We had to look it up to find out what he or she was.
It turns out it is a rose chafer. It hasn't harmed our roses at all, can fly, so no point in removing it, as it will just fly back.

View attachment 112975

It is indeed. They can cause minimal damage to all plants bar grass, but they're certainly no aphids so I would just enjoy seeing them, after all, they look amazing!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

View attachment 112975

We had that exact type of beetle in out back garden a couple of weeks bag. Have never seen anything like that before, a stunning colour.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
On the muckier side of gardening if anyone wants well rotted, (4 year old), horse manure then we have tons, (literally), of the stuff. We use very little straw so it is really fine and has no smell.

Anyone fancying a trip to the Gatwick area to collect then send me a pm and I’ll let you have directions.

EA06FCC7-8961-4DDA-891F-AA7E8F768D2E.jpeg
24714D08-6D88-4039-94EE-6B93E4D09669.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We had that exact type of beetle in out back garden a couple of weeks bag. Have never seen anything like that before, a stunning colour.

That's why we took a photo and then looked it up to find out what it was. It is a European rose chafer and only found in here in the SE of England, and on the continent.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
On the muckier side of gardening if anyone wants well rotted, (4 year old), horse manure then we have tons, (literally), of the stuff. We use very little straw so it is really fine and has no smell.

Anyone fancying a trip to the Gatwick area to collect then send me a pm and I’ll let you have directions.

View attachment 113053

View attachment 113054

That's good shit! Please excuse the pun, but I couldn't resist. . . . . When I was 16 I worked in a mushroom laboratory, growing spores on cooked sterilised rye grain, for planting commercially, we used manure as a base for masters (it's used for commercial growing too) . . . .one of my jobs in the lab, for master strains and mushroom type 'tuning' was to soak/wash and spin dry horse manure, which was then potted, sterilised, and then planted with a bit of mould. . . .its extremely likely those strains are still going!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 113053
View attachment 113054

This stuff is gold dust! If anyone can arm themselves with a shovel and a pack of rubble bags, this needs to be taken advantage of.
Nice one Creaky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here