Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gardeners' World This Evening, BBC 2. Different to Usual.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I watch every episode, I can’t wait to see this special on iplayer.

After quite a bit of planting in our front and back gardens in the last couple of years, virtually everything done for pollinators, the results are amazing just now. A wide array of bees, hover-flies and the odd butterfly, the sound of the bees is very special.

The plant stars - Borage, Vipers Bugloss, Stachys, Pulmonaria, 2 types of Lavender, Nepeta, Salvia.

So many people are now interested in doing something.

Do you get more coming indoors?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
That looks remarkably like a wasp ........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweat bees are much smaller than wasps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halictidae

42F9000E-075C-42E4-9E04-F82E021AEC11.jpeg
B2B1629A-1DBD-4C59-A263-BCBCC5C30F2C.jpeg

Last edited:

IMG_20190611_191423934.jpg

...What other football forum could transmogrify to a gardening one :) Because of this I am now halfway through the episode of "Gardeners World" mentioned (no Percy Thrower anymore I note). Photo above is of our "bee tree" - no idea of its proper name but the bees love it - can anyone tell me what it is really called?

Went to Nymans today - in addition to the lovely formal gardens they have a fair amount of meadow with lots of happy insects therein.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
View attachment 112903

...What other football forum could transmogrify to a gardening one :) Because of this I am now halfway through the episode of "Gardeners World" mentioned (no Percy Thrower anymore I note). Photo above is of our "bee tree" - no idea of its proper name but the bees love it - can anyone tell me what it is really called?

Went to Nymans today - in addition to the lovely formal gardens they have a fair amount of meadow with lots of happy insects therein.

My money is on Cotoneaster "Cornubia", but nowhere near sure. Could you post a photo of the whole tree/bush? Is it evergreen or deciduous?
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/131692/Cotoneaster-Cornubia/Details
I'll also have an each-way bet on Viburnum lantana (Wayfaring Tree).

Attachments

• VIBURNUMLANTANA-3_1200_900_90_s.jpg
    VIBURNUMLANTANA-3_1200_900_90_s.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'd go with cotoneaster. Gives height and structure to a garden, but boring as hell

I'm now leaning towards the Viburnum. The leaves aren't ovate enough for Cotoneaster. I've seen Cotoneaster used in all sorts of situations, my favourite being horizontalis grown up a fence. Very unusual and effective. They're used a lot in Supermarket car parks as they're cheap and quick growing. It's Waxwings' favourite place to eat berries. They were part of a staple diet of cheap and cheerful shrubs used on housing estates built in Brighton in the 1960's. Very few people plant them nowadays. Why? They are quite unassuming, but great for birds and insects.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Gardeners' World was completely all about attracting insects in to your garden. No formal or vegetable stuff at all. Really interesting and informative. Will give you food for thought if you could give it a watch, no matter how small (if your lucky enough to have one) your garden may be.
We can all do a little bit, making a big bit!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006nz2/gardeners-world-2019-episode-18

We've done all we can on our allotment, in the way of attracting wildlife and insects.
Building nest boxes, bamboo stick insect boxes and nectar rich plants.
We do have an abundance of visitors throughout the warmer months, which is fantastic.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not v.lantana and not v. macrocephalum. Also, neither are evergreen. Maybe cotoneaster lacteus? Might just stick with cornubia......or frigidus
Horizontalis was the first shrub I ever propagated, way back when I had a 'thing' for berries

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here