Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gardeners' World This Evening, BBC 2. Different to Usual.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Gardeners' World was completely all about attracting insects in to your garden. No formal or vegetable stuff at all. Really interesting and informative. Will give you food for thought if you could give it a watch, no matter how small (if your lucky enough to have one) your garden may be.
We can all do a little bit, making a big bit!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006nz2/gardeners-world-2019-episode-18

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I watch every episode, I can’t wait to see this special on iplayer.

After quite a bit of planting in our front and back gardens in the last couple of years, virtually everything done for pollinators, the results are amazing just now. A wide array of bees, hover-flies and the odd butterfly, the sound of the bees is very special.

The plant stars - Borage, Vipers Bugloss, Stachys, Pulmonaria, 2 types of Lavender, Nepeta, Salvia.

So many people are now interested in doing something.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I watch every episode, I can’t wait to see this special on iplayer.

After quite a bit of planting in our front and back gardens in the last couple of years, virtually everything done for pollinators, the results are amazing just now. A wide array of bees, hover-flies and the odd butterfly, the sound of the bees is very special.

The plant stars - Borage, Vipers Bugloss, Stachys, Pulmonaria, 2 types of Lavender, Nepeta, Salvia.

So many people are now interested in doing something.

You won't be disappointed.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ive got two hebes in full bloom, several lavenders, and hollyhocks all smothered in bees of various kinds, hover flies and butterflies.
I must watch this on IPlayer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I grow a wide range of fruit and vegetables up my allotment, they already attract a wide range of insects and molluscs. so, I'm doing my bit.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Borage doesn't seem to be optional in my garden. It grows where it likes, and it seems to like it everywhere.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Really interesting, we are going to seed half our lawn with wild seed.... it will also save us mowing it. ps it’s only 40 foot square.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why would you want to attract molluscs to your fruit and veg?

I don't think vegster wants to - he probably has the same issue as me that he has no choice. I have less in my garden now thanks to my chickens but they bring a whole load of other problems !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think vegster wants to - he probably has the same issue as me that he has no choice. I have less in my garden now thanks to my chickens but they bring a whole load of other problems !
There is great fun to be had with half a dozen big Slugs and a Chicken run! was with Mrs V at some gardens 3 weeks back and found they kept chickens...... Turned over some nearby logs and got a few juicy Slugs and lobbed them in...... CARNAGE! The girls were running everywhere, marvellous scenes.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Really interesting, we are going to seed half our lawn with wild seed.... it will also save us mowing it. ps it’s only 40 foot square.

Excellent. Is it 40 feet x 40 feet or totals 40 square feet? Will you be using annual or perennial seed? Depending on what type of seed you sow will govern the preparation. I'm here to help!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Besides my love of palms, bananas and all things exotic, I've shoe horned in bog standard boring stuff like, 27 varieties of hebe, countless sedums, buddleias, comfrey, borage(spit) and about 50 plus other types of flowering shrubs. There's also a whole host of other stuff which I can't be bothered to mention.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've seen thrushes eat snails but I didn't know chickens did!

If ever you get the chance lob a fat Slug or snail in to a Chicken run and watch the fun !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Some ******* insect is eating the leaves on my plum tree [emoji2959].

And as for the blackbirds who ate every single cherry on my cherry tree [emoji523][emoji36]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here