murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
draw been made

C: Leyton Orient, AFC Wimbledon, Southend United, Brighton & Hove Albion U21

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m sure we told Orient we’d never play them again.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’d be genuinely interested to get your stance on this. I’m Grimsby and I massively oppose the inclusion of Premier League U-21s in this competition as it’s almost certainly a pre-cursor to the inclusion of B-teams in the football league pyramid (a la Spain). For me, that shìts all over the history and integrity of lower league football and would be its death knell in the long term.

I don’t expect fans of Man Yoo, Chelsea and Liverpool et al to ‘get’ this, but as supporters a club that has been on the brink and, after much fighting and a great deal of pain, come out of the other side - what’s your take on all this?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’d be genuinely interested to get your stance on this. I’m Grimsby and I massively oppose the inclusion of Premier League U-21s in this competition as it’s almost certainly a pre-cursor to the inclusion of B-teams in the football league pyramid (a la Spain). For me, that shìts all over the history and integrity of lower league football and would be its death knell in the long term.

I don’t expect fans of Man Yoo, Chelsea and Liverpool et al to ‘get’ this, but as supporters a club that has been on the brink and, after much fighting and a great deal of pain, come out of the other side - what’s your take on all this?

I'm completely with you on this (except I don't think the inclusion of B teams in the league structure is inevitable and I hope THAT never happens).

From the perspective of young player development, I accept that this competition offers something different from the normal PL2 matches (and there is no-one on this board more interested in the development of young players at Albion), but as a football fan first and foremost, this decision should never have been taken.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Personally, I don't think that it will ever happen. Our clubs are too old, there's too much tradition, and there would be too much resistance. Its just not in our culture. Just like franchising will never become a "thing" over here. The one and only time it happened, it created a hybrid club that everyone despises. If that was ever going to happen again, it would've done so by now.

We are the only country in the world that harbours 92 professional clubs across 4 divisions, each and every one of them with a unique history and identity. Premier League U21 B-teams will never infiltrate that League IMO. The support just is not there, there's no appetite for it. Who the hell would travel to watch BHA U21's away at Grimsby ? Your fans wouldn't give a shit, and neither would ours.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

To be fair, this is just another unneeded cup competition. Like the Prem and League need more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bound to lose at Brisbane Road, we nearly always did.

"That new guy in defence doesn't half look like a player we had years ago"
"That's because it is him"

Said of Steve Foster by a fella in front of us at Brisbane Road. :lol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I really dislike the idea of U21 teams in the football league - at the same time I do really like the U21s in this competition.

However - I'd also not like an U21 team to get to the final. Maybe they should be blocked from qualifying from the group stage - their matches will still be competitive and determine the group outcome, job done.

el punal

Personally, I don't think that it will ever happen. Our clubs are too old, there's too much tradition, and there would be too much resistance. Its just not in our culture. Just like franchising will never become a "thing" over here. The one and only time it happened, it created a hybrid club that everyone despises. If that was ever going to happen again, it would've done so by now.

We are the only country in the world that harbours 92 professional clubs across 4 divisions, each and every one of them with a unique history and identity. Premier League U21 B-teams will never infiltrate that League IMO. The support just is not there, there's no appetite for it. Who the hell would travel to watch BHA U21's away at Grimsby ? Your fans wouldn't give a shit, and neither would ours.

The only exception of course being MK Dons.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Albion fixture dates ( not sure if 100% confirmed ).

3rd Sept : AFC Wimbledon v Albion
1st Oct : Southend v Albion
5th Nov : Leyton Orient v Albion

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bound to lose at Brisbane Road, we nearly always did.

??? Last 8 visits

Tue 01 Feb Leyton Orient 0 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 06 Feb Leyton Orient 1 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Tue 06 Oct Leyton Orient 1 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Assc.Mmbrs.)
Sat 07 Mar Leyton Orient 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 17 Nov Leyton Orient 2 - 2 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Tue 13 Feb Leyton Orient 1 - 4 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 03 Mar Leyton Orient 0 - 2 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 14 Aug Leyton Orient 1 - 2 Brighton & Hove Albion League

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I like the inclusion of U21 teams in this competition. But U21 teams in the League? - Never!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember seeing us win there 3 or 4 times. Bit like Millwall was always a good local away game with a strong chance of 3 points.

Those were the days eh? Going to an away game expecting to win.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
??? Last 8 visits

Tue 01 Feb Leyton Orient 0 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 06 Feb Leyton Orient 1 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Tue 06 Oct Leyton Orient 1 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion (Assc.Mmbrs.)
Sat 07 Mar Leyton Orient 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 17 Nov Leyton Orient 2 - 2 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Tue 13 Feb Leyton Orient 1 - 4 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 03 Mar Leyton Orient 0 - 2 Brighton & Hove Albion League
Sat 14 Aug Leyton Orient 1 - 2 Brighton & Hove Albion League

We only lost 2 of those 8.

EDIT - Didn't clock you were replying to the other post. Sorry.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I agree with you completely. This tournament should be exclusive to teams in Leagues 1 and 2, topped up by some from the Conference, or whatever it is now called.

It was never a great tournament, but I used to go and watch the Albion when we played in it in its old format. If we were still lower league I would have no interest in watching us against a Premier League youth side, and would have the same worries about the future integrity of the league as Poojah has.

I won't go to any match in this tournament, whether our kids do well or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here