Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Corbynite councillor sends daughter to Roedean

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
An arch-Corbynite city councillor in charge of schools policy who rails against privatisation sends his daughter to the most expensive private girls' school in the country, MailOnline can reveal.

Councillor Nick Childs, the deputy leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, has a daughter who attends £40,000-a-year Roedean school in Sussex.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7231707/EXCL-Corbynite-councillor-charge-schools-sends-daughter-40-000-year-Roedean-School.html

Mr Childs has tweeted in response:
Canting hypocrites @MailOnline published one of my kids attends independent school. Privacy aside, I’ll take no lectures on moral probity from cheerleaders of bigotry/fascism. The attack piece is affirmation our administration is doing good job. Article already framed on my wall

1. I'm surprised that people in his position don't see the possible accusations of hypocrisy that might result.

2. How on earth does a trade union official afford school fees for Roedean?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
An arch-Corbynite city councillor in charge of schools policy who rails against privatisation sends his daughter to the most expensive private girls' school in the country, MailOnline can reveal.

Councillor Nick Childs, the deputy leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, has a daughter who attends £40,000-a-year Roedean school in Sussex.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7231707/EXCL-Corbynite-councillor-charge-schools-sends-daughter-40-000-year-Roedean-School.html

1. I'm surprised that people in his position don't see the possible accusations of hypocrisy that might result.

Has he 'railed against private education' then?

Because everything that article highlights, centres on his opposition to the takeover of state schools by profit-making private organisations, which is a completely different argument altogether.

No hypocrisy here at all, I'm afraid. The rancid Daily mail and its hard of thinking readership need to try a little harder.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Minor detail but the fees are £40k per year for full time boarders in Y10-Y13.

Day pupils the fees range from £17k in Y7 to £22k in Y10.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

If they live in Brighton and are not boarders the fees could be a quarter of those shown.

Also, we do not know if there are other circumstances surrounding this.

Additionally, it's the Daily Mail.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does it matter if he personally has railed against private education or not, as a staunch supporter of Corbyn he really is opening himself up to criticism. He is quoted in the report as saying that what he does professionally should have no influence on what he does privately ... Really ???

Sorry not a fan of the Daily Mail on the face of it his position comes across as pretty hypocritical.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Does it matter if he personally has railed against private education or not, as a staunch supporter of Corbyn he really is opening himself up to criticism. He is quoted in the report as saying that what he does professionally should have no influence on what he does privately ... Really ???

Sorry not a fan of the Daily Mail on the face of it his position comes across as pretty hypocritical.

Sorry, but that is bollocks. He says nothing of the sort.

'My children like all children are entitled to their privacy ... I will not say anything more on this matter other than to say that these decisions should be made by parents and carers taking into consideration each child’s unique skills, abilities and needs.

'My own family’s decisions are made on this basis and are not up for public debate.

'My views on the privatisation of publicly owned state schools through the academisation of publicly owned schools remain clear and should not be confused with my family’s personal decisions.'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think you have highlighted a Daily Fail own goal here. Due to the lack of actual 'railing'.

Is the Daily Fail opposed to private schools?

Are private schools illegal or immoral?

Are all 'Corbynistas' supposed to have one view on everything?

Are all labour council people and parliamentarians 'Corbynistas' for generally following the party line on most matters?

Will all conservative council people and partiamentarians automatically become Borisistas (or Borisazis, to match the insinuation that labour types are 'istas' like the Sandinistas)?

If you read the daily Fail, does this automatically make you a Borisazi?

These are important questions that require answer and NOW!

Back on planet earth, certainly that peculiar labour woman whose name momentarily escapes me, hefty black woman and former school chum of the telly tory in the pastel suits whose name also escapes me, sent her kid to private school and was rightly pilloried for hypocrisy (she was and is a 'railer' of wince-inducing proportions). In this instance, however, this looks like nothing more than rabid blue dog whistling. A bit careless, OP :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you have highlighted a Daily Fail own goal here. Due to the lack of actual 'railing'.

Is the Daily Fail opposed to private schools?

Are private schools illegal or immoral?

Are all 'Corbynistas' supposed to have one view on everything?

Are all labour council people and parliamentarians 'Corbynistas' for generally following the party line on most matters?

Will all conservative council people and partiamentarians automatically become Borisistas (or Borisazis, to match the insinuation that labour types are 'istas' like the Sandinistas)?

If you read the daily Fail, does this automatically make you a Borisazi?

These are important questions that require answer and NOW!

Back on planet earth, certainly that peculiar labour woman whose name momentarily escapes me, hefty black woman and former school chum of the telly tory in the pastel suits whose name also escapes me, sent her kid to private school and was rightly pilloried for hypocrisy (she was and is a 'railer' of wince-inducing proportions). In this instance, however, this looks like nothing more than rabid blue dog whistling. A bit careless, OP :shrug:

???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
sorry but your reply is bollocks ... your quotes back up my comment which is he does not practice what he preaches....i.e. private education is ok for his kids but not other people's.

But he says nothing of the sort. He has made NO comment here at all about the merits or evils of 'private education', for his children or for anybody else's.

He is talking about the forced passing of control of state owned educational assets, designed and run by educational professionals, with only the good of the students at heart, into the hands of private enterprises making decisions on staffing and resources on the grounds of cost-savings and profits.

'My views on the privatisation of publicly owned state schools through the academisation of publicly owned schools remain clear and should not be confused with my family’s personal decisions.'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But he says nothing of the sort. He has made NO comment here at all about the merits or evils of 'private education', for his children or for anybody else's.

He is talking about the forced passing of control of state owned educational assets, designed and run by educational professionals, with only the good of the students at heart, into the hands of private enterprises making decisions on staffing and resources on the grounds of cost-savings and profits.

Quite. For one, places like Roedean still have to jump through the same Ofsted hoops as state schools, and have the same level of professional quality teachers and staff. Academies do not.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Apparently he pays the fees in cash with income from his Buy To Let portfolio... [emoji23]

Classic that Tories underfund state education for years and then blame people on the left who can afford independent school fees from reluctantly making that choice for their child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Or put another way it doesn’t affect me so **** yeah I’ll campaign against the forced passing of control of state owned educational assets, designed and run by educational professionals, with only the good of the students at heart, into the hands of private enterprises making decisions on staffing and resources on the grounds of cost-savings and profits [emoji122]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Quite. For one, places like Roedean still have to jump through the same Ofsted hoops as state schools, and have the same level of professional quality teachers and staff. Academies do not.

I'm afraid debunking lies through reasoned argument is no longer worthwhile. See the Johnson v Hunt television "debate" for details. Simpletons do not bother with things like facts anymore, not one single sentence soundbite lying bullshit is so readily available.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Has he 'railed against private education' then?

Because everything that article highlights, centres on his opposition to the takeover of state schools by profit-making private organisations, which is a completely different argument altogether.

No hypocrisy here at all, I'm afraid. The rancid Daily mail and its hard of thinking readership need to try a little harder.

Absolute rubbish.

You telling me that a Corbynite Labour councillor sending his daughter to Roedean isn’t hypocritical?

I don’t care if this was reported in the Daily Mail, Guardian or Tommy Robinson Weekly, it is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here