Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Corbynite councillor sends daughter to Roedean

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Man sends daughter to a school he deems to be good enough for his daughter and is willing to spend a lot of cash for her to have the best possible education as possible.

How disgusting is that.

Solly, it is not disgusting, but given his political views, it is hypocritical.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Solly, it is not disgusting, but given his political views, it is hypocritical.

I'm not entirely sure I agree, but that said - I know very little of the chap's opinion on education. I get he's against privatised rail and core industry, but I've personally not seen anything where he has come out and attacked private education. Though, should you know of any articles that say otherwise, please send them. Then i'll call the fella a hypocrite.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Man who works for a political party who campaign for equality in education for all not just those who can afford it sends daughter to a school he deems to be good enough for his daughter and is willing to spend a lot of cash for her to have the best possible education as possible.

How disgusting is that.

pretty

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm not entirely sure I agree, but that said - I know very little of the chap's opinion on education. I get he's against privatised rail and core industry, but I've personally not seen anything where he has come out and attacked private education. Though, should you know of any articles that say otherwise, please send them. Then i'll call the fella a hypocrite.

Solly, don't be so coy. I'm not going to trawl through articles on Nick Childs, but feel free to do so and I am sure you will get the picture!

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
So he opposes the way that state schools are being run and has chosen not to send his child to a state school, have I got that right?

No I don't think you have got that right; he opposes the way Academy schools are run, not state schools. There are only 2 Academies in B&H I believe, the rest are regular state schools. I can't see how you can reconcile paying for a privileged education and a Labour political philosophy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Man sends daughter to a school he deems to be good enough for his daughter and is willing to spend a lot of cash for her to have the best possible education as possible.

How disgusting is that.

In no way is it disgusting whatsoever, quite admirable in most circumstances.

But when you belong to an organisation that espouses equality for all, and its current leadership support group in particular despises anyone doing a bit better than those around them, then you are leading yourself wide open for a bit of stick. A politician with a bit of media savvy nouse would know this, Labours front bench excluded.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Corbyn & Harman sent their kids to Grammar schools
Abbott & Chakribati sent their kids to Private schools
Blair sent his to the London Oratory supplemented by a tutor from a Private school.

I think the pattern is well established.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is probably the case for many voters....probably not high on their agenda.....however
Should a political party and its officials continue to object to private education as a policy for the general public whilst enjoying the system they object to for their own children?
Seems a fair question to ask.

Ia fair question indeed. This probably depends on the alternatives available to him. I suspect that given his way public education would be better funded and offer a product that suits his daughter's needs. If Labour were in power and he spent his time spruiking the public system as a provider of quality education, while sending his kids to private school you could certainly accusing him of hypocracy.

If he looks at the public system and believes that it cannot offer what his daughter needs then who can blame him for looking at other alternatives?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No I don't think you have got that right; he opposes the way Academy schools are run, not state schools. There are only 2 Academies in B&H I believe, the rest are regular state schools. I can't see how you can reconcile paying for a privileged education and a Labour political philosophy.

It may well be that he is opposed to the way state schools are under funded by an austerity loving government? Maybe he thinks that if his government were in power they would focus more on state education and offer a product that he deems necessary for his daughter. WIthout that product being available, I don't really blame him for looking elsewhere.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ia fair question indeed. This probably depends on the alternatives available to him. I suspect that given his way public education would be better funded and offer a product that suits his daughter's needs. If Labour were in power and he spent his time spruiking the public system as a provider of quality education, while sending his kids to private school you could certainly accusing him of hypocracy.

If he looks at the public system and believes that it cannot offer what his daughter needs then who can blame him for looking at other alternatives?

But is he not using his privileged position to allow his offspring to get ahead? Fine by me, but at odds with the views of many within the Labour Party?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Corbyn & Harman sent their kids to Grammar schools
Abbott & Chakribati sent their kids to Private schools
Blair sent his to the London Oratory supplemented by a tutor from a Private school.

I think the pattern is well established.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But is he not using his privileged position to allow his offspring to get ahead? Fine by me, but at odds with the views of many within the Labour Party?

Do you really think this is at odds with the views of anyone in the major parties? You have a far better view of politicians than I do.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Bit excessive, i think.
Solly, don't be so coy. I'm not going to trawl through articles on Nick Childs, but feel free to do so and I am sure you will get the picture!

So coy? if you make an accusation, it's down to you to provide the evidence. It's not the other way round. That said, I never asked for evidence upfront. Simply stated if you had anything to hand, by all means share.

You're not a lawyer, are you?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Has he 'railed against private education' then?

Because everything that article highlights, centres on his opposition to the takeover of state schools by profit-making private organisations, which is a completely different argument altogether.

No hypocrisy here at all, I'm afraid. The rancid Daily mail and its hard of thinking readership need to try a little harder.

I fully understand the difference between his opposition to the takeover of state schools by profit-making private organisations,and 'Private Schools' - however I am surprised you can't see the hypocrisy of someone sending their child to a private school, whose party would like to abolish Private Education (or certainly withdraw their charitable status)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Read posts with interest. A lot of contrary and strongly held views.

Very surprised to see the justification of a Labour councillor paying for his child's education; yes it is his money but private education is firmly on his party's hit list of don't likes. Is he going to visit folk's houses when on the stump at the election and argue that PE should be abolished, or at least the charity exemption removed? The latter is certain to be in Manifesto, the former possible. How can he truly promote his party's policies with a clear conflict of interest?

I see nowhere the question whether the daughter herself is content with this arrangement. It is his money, but surely her happiness is more important. What does she think?

And sad to see so many resigned to 'if I had the money I would do the same'. Why? You pay your taxes, you have a right to your child's free education. What does PE actually buy? I reckon three things: smaller class sizes with more motivated teachers; better facilities; and (above all) positive peer pressure.

Unpick those : smaller class sizes are (as some posters point out) actually a real problem for many PE students at uni; better teachers I get but there are ways round this: additional tuition at a fraction of the cost of the whole package of PE being the most obvious. Better facilities similarly can be overcome by paying for specific needs: sport, drama, music, skiing holidays, again targeted and at a substantially lower cost.

Positive peer pressure is actually the biggest of the three. The problem is that this defines students into a conclave of like folk whose parents are, by definition, well off, or just happen to be fortunate enough to win a scholarship (minority). They simply don't have the life experience of encountering less advantaged students. Our youngest son is an A&E doctor in North London; his job is not easy with the ever present problem of gang warfare and its consequences, but he says that very few PE Medics even choose A&E. It becomes self selective, and means many educated privately have a blinkered view and a sheltered life (not all, just many and I accept this has been mitigated recently; mitigated but not fundamentally changed).

So support the state system. Use some intitiative and funds where it fails but don't cop out. Save yourself a lot of dough and use it wisely. Above all, ask what your children want.

Spot on, summed up brilliantly.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Roedean typically have 15-20 in a class. From memory, and it was 25 years ago, but my seminars at Uni were a maximum of 10 people. Undoubtedly you are sheltered a little at private school, but I'm surprised to hear that would be a problem.

My son went to a state school and sixth form college, before going on to an excellent University.

His best mate went to private school and received almost identical GCSE / A Level results.

The privately educated lad REALLY struggled at Uni, as in his words 'he was spoon fed' at school just to pass the exams and get the grades required.

I'm sure he enjoyed the longer holidays though!

Stumpy Tim

My son went to a state school and sixth form college, before going on to an excellent University.

His best mate went to private school and received almost identical GCSE / A Level results.

The privately educated lad REALLY struggled at Uni, as in his words 'he was spoon fed' at school just to pass the exams and get the grades required.

I'm sure he enjoyed the longer holidays though!

I'm sure there are lots of similar stories, but of course the two children you mention are likely very different. Your son may be extremely intelligent (I'm sure he is!), while the other kid not so academically strong - so private school helped him academically. To be honest, I don't think it's helpful to compare two children like that as everyone is different. I think private school reduces the risk of kids not getting good grades, and does give them a level of confidence that I didn't experience at state school.

The truth is, some kids will thrive at private school, some will thrive anywhere they go. There are strengths to private school, and there are weaknesses - such as living a slightly sheltered life. As parents we do all we can for our kids, and we all make decisions based on what we feel is best for them (and what is financially feasible).

I have no time for people who want to ban private schools though. Imagine the sheer number of kids who would enter the state system if they were banned! That would also mean big tax rises as new schools will need to be built - those paying for private school now are not simply going to transfer that money to the state. In addition, by banning elite schools you are basically saying that you want to hold kids back who are fortunate enough to have been born into a wealthy family. That seems as unfair as the current system, just in a different way

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm sure there are lots of similar stories, but of course the two children you mention are likely very different. Your son may be extremely intelligent (I'm sure he is!), while the other kid not so academically strong - so private school helped him academically. To be honest, I don't think it's helpful to compare two children like that as everyone is different. I think private school reduces the risk of kids not getting good grades, and does give them a level of confidence that I didn't experience at state school.

The truth is, some kids will thrive at private school, some will thrive anywhere they go. There are strengths to private school, and there are weaknesses - such as living a slightly sheltered life. As parents we do all we can for our kids, and we all make decisions based on what we feel is best for them (and what is financially feasible).

I have no time for people who want to ban private schools though. Imagine the sheer number of kids who would enter the state system if they were banned! That would also mean big tax rises as new schools will need to be built - those paying for private school now are not simply going to transfer that money to the state. In addition, by banning elite schools you are basically saying that you want to hold kids back who are fortunate enough to have been born into a wealthy family. That seems as unfair as the current system, just in a different way

Agree with pretty much all of that - and I certainly don't want private schools banned, people who send their kids there are 'paying twice' in much the same way as private healthcare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here