Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

Knocky got us over the line last season, the lack of gratitude by some on this thread is disappointing

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Knocky got us over the line last season, the lack of gratitude by some on this thread is disappointing

Couldn’t agree more, when the majority were putting in lacklustre displays, he was still trying to get something going with the ball and harrying the opposition without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well, I've spent five minutes with the egotistical midget.
Have you?
Seems to me you are acting a bit pissy because I've suggested your 100-mile-an-hour hero isn't a shining light in the community or model member of society.
You assessed someone’s mental stability in five minutes?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I don't disagree with any of that - he is exciting, he's that sort of player. But so was LuaLua. Knockaert, to a certain extent, was the upgrade on LuaLua that we needed to progress the team. I don't think the final product has been good enough, which is why I would take the money from Fulham and allow Jahanbakhsh and March to regularly play from the side that their strongest on.

Can't see Jahanbakhsh banging one in to top bins like Knocky did at Palace. Can't see him going past players. Can't see the potential that others see.
I keep reading that he's going to come good under Potter, but I don't know where people get this idea from.
I hope he proves me wrong, but for him to replace Knocky, in my eyes, that's a big downgrade. Still, game of opinions & all that.
Solly? Always been a big fan.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Knocky to Fulham?

Can't see Jahanbakhsh banging one in to top bins like Knocky did at Palace. Can't see him going past players. Can't see the potential that others see.

Of course you can see Jahanbakhsh going top bins, it’s at 2:10
https://youtu.be/HsgbWyTjPNI

Seems like Potter has got his number already:

“The key probably with Alireza is to get him as close to goal as possible. That’s probably where they used him in Holland and therefore you get the goals and assists.” Argus.

You won’t see him going past players, because he is not that type of player. He clearly had very little defensive duties against Huddersfield as he looked very good and was finding space. However, CH had him playing much more defensively in other matches which exposed his weakness at playing further back. He is an inside forward not a right/left midfielder.

On that note, how many players has Knocky gone round since being in the Premier League? He used to skin players for fun but I can’t recall him beating anyone last season.

Many would argue that England’s best winger was David Beckham, I really can’t remember him beating players and having incredible speed yet he somehow always had space to send in world class crosses or score brilliant goals (like the ones in Ali J’s show reel). Success in Football is ultimately decided by how many goals you score, not how many players you beat, that is why we signed the player.

Having players in the same position who contrast in style is very good for the squad and Manager.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He’d be a bigger fish in The Championship. I think this might suit his character better.

I just feel, like almost all players, he will want to play at the highest possible level...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just feel, like almost all players, he will want to play at the highest possible level...

In theory, maybe. But many factors like game-time, money, manager, personal situation etc can challenge this. Stockdale is an example.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The players are still under contract, though, so they can play hard ball and tell Man Utd and Maguire both that there is no deal to be made.

It's what Southampton did with Virgil Van Dijk..... not that it made much difference. He still went eventually.

Indeed. The flip side to that approach of course, is that if the player wants the move, often the club will get far less commitment from him both on and off the field. Which heralds the question, is it worth keeping an unhappy player? Not an easy question to answer l know.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

“The key probably with Alireza is to get him as close to goal as possible. That’s probably where they used him in Holland and therefore you get the goals and assists.” Argus.

You won’t see him going past players, because he is not that type of player. He clearly had very little defensive duties against Huddersfield as he looked very good and was finding space. However, CH had him playing much more defensively in other matches which exposed his weakness at playing further back. He is an inside forward not a right/left midfielder.

On that note, how many players has Knocky gone round since being in the Premier League? He used to skin players for fun but I can’t recall him beating anyone last season.

Many would argue that England’s best winger was David Beckham, I really can’t remember him beating players and having incredible speed yet he somehow always had space to send in world class crosses or score brilliant goals (like the ones in Ali J’s show reel). Success in Football is ultimately decided by how many goals you score, not how many players you beat, that is why we signed the player.

Having players in the same position who contrast in style is very good for the squad and Manager.

I would certainly agree that from the comparatively little l've seen of the player he seems more effective as a number10, rather than as an out and out winger. As you say he is no Knockaert and playing out wide we perhaps don't get the best out of him.

The problem is that we already have Pascale Gross as our established no.10 who, when fit, does very well in that role in my opinion, and l can also make a case for Davy Propper to be pushed up into that position too where he has had relative success for the Netherlands. Still competition for places has to be a good thing l guess!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

Haven't watched that video since AJ signed, but watching it again now and comparing with the guy we were playing mostly wide on the left, it seems to me we almost criminally mis-used him, akin to playing Bruno as centre forward and expecting him to win the golden boot.

I have slated Ali J on here previously, i take it back, play him in a role that suits him and we might just be singing his praises, feel really sorry for the guy now.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Always amusing to see people deluding themselves that our record signing was in any way a sensible one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Haven't watched that video since AJ signed, but watching it again now and comparing with the guy we were playing mostly wide on the left, it seems to me we almost criminally mis-used him, akin to playing Bruno as centre forward and expecting him to win the golden boot.

I have slated Ali J on here previously, i take it back, play him in a role that suits him and we might just be singing his praises, feel really sorry for the guy now.

Because you've seen a youtube highlights real from an inferior league!?

Re-writing history appears to be commonplace on here now. CH tried AJ in a variety of positions, when Gross was injured he tried him as a no.10, he's been an outright winger right and left, part of an attacking 3 playing inside and outside. He didn't really shine in any spot. What is this player, someone who has to have a very specific tactical setup? It's nothing like Bruno being a centre forward, it would be like asking Bruno to be a wing back rather than a full back – something Bruno would have slotted into without batting an eyelid.

I'm sorry, but we are in the PL where every player has to make a defensive contribution. If you watch how Potter set Osterund up against Galatasary and Arsenal, it wasn't all attacking football, not by a long shot, Osterund played 6 at the back for a time against Galatasary with every player contribution to soaking up pressure. There is a delusion setting in that we aren't going to have to defend, that players like AJ will simply have only new attacking duties to attend to. Not going to happen. We are in a fiercely competitive league, one that dominated Europe last season, and whether we are better attacking with the ball this season or not (which we all hope we are), we are still going to have to do a serious amount of defending with every player contributing to that.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

It's worth digging out the heat map that shows where AJ played in Holland v. where he played for us last season. It's completely different. We have not used this weapon in the right way so far. Potter just might.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here