Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When have we - as Brighton fans - ever been satisfied, let alone delighted, with the fees we've got for our departing players? Virgo to Celtic probably the only one where we hugged ourselves with glee. Ulloa to Leicester was OK, and Liverpool played fair with fees for Lawro and Robinson, but apart from that ...................?

Perhaps we just can't stop ourselves believing they're worth more than they are.

This. O wise old one :bowdown:

edit: Dean Saunders was a bit bollocks.

And Kurt Nogan.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I will miss AK but have faith in the club. Let’s judge this after the transfer window has closed!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If thats true its a ****in joke, £15 mil was giving him away imho, Barber or whoever negotiated that needs to give their head a serious wobble IF TRUE!

Bloom out

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It isn't, actually. Firstly, we don't have the £10m yet.

Secondly, we got £10m for Ulloa (when all the add-ons were counted). So with inflation, it won't match that in real terms.

I genuflect to your exactitude and indefatigability. :bowdown:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Terrible decision.
Terrible fee.
Terrible window continues.

He'll rip the Championship up again and on the strength of both squads at this current moment in time, we'll be exchanging places.

We keep faith in some of the utter dross we have spent millions on, and instead let THE key player who got us to where we are now leave for peanuts. This isn't ****ing sentiment, size him up against the stats of our other wingers last season and see who comes out on top.

Something big better be in the works.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bugger me, this transfer window continues to confuse and exasperate. Don’t fix the gaps most people accept we have. No.

Sign another centre-half. And get shot of Knocky......exasperating, annoying etc but also a player who can change a game. And we have precious few of those.

This.

1. Still waiting for the PL quality ACM with pace.
2. Still waiting for a striker.
3. Still waiting for a PL quality RB who can actually defend.

Can only assume that astute Tony Bloom is about to surprise us with those signings.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Terrible decision for a player who gives everything and we should be keeping.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
My 11 year old son is quite astute. Knocky is / was his favourite player by a mile. Poster on the bedroom wall etc. Loves the spark, the style, the tension he suddenly creates near the box, and the OPPORTUNITIES that suddenly emerge from seemingly nothing. Shame if he's going.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8995063 said:
The sun is reporting a £10m fee or a £4m loan fee if they DON'T purchase him next summer.

"The Frenchman will miss Albion's friendly on Saturday - ironically against Fulham - as he looks to complete a switch which can be turned permanent for £10million next summer. If the relegated Londoners opt against buying him, then the Seagulls will be due a £4m payment for this term's loan."

I read that as we will receive £10m or £4m next summer. Not £14m (loan fee + transfer fee). Sounds terrible.

If he's on circa 40k per week that'll be another £2m saved on wages (I assume they are not included in the loan fee).

He's probably one of our higher earners, so perhaps the club feel like it's a good opportunity to free up those wages for someone they think will have more value for the money they're paying.

As he turns 28 this year anyone who signs him will struggle to get much re-sale value, which is probably a factor too.

Certainly feels like the offer isn't too good to turn down though, so makes you think we can't be that desperate to hold onto him.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
:lolol: How kind. No, only just started on the sauce....

Basically this is done and dusted so we have to move on. I am not going to join in with any Barber/Bloom out chorus.

I suspect there will be loads of stuff going on vis a vis AK we know nothing about, too.

I will make a prediction: AK will be mediocre for Fulham next season. But I hope he will thrive.

All the best :thumbsup:

Fair enough. Of course there's nothing we can do, I can have the opinion that we have let him go far too cheaply in today's inflated market, and when he is on his game he can do things that no-one else in the squad is capable of, such as that Palace goal. We hardly have an embarrassment of creative riches so ditching one of the jewels for a pittance seems strange, and bad business. I suspect you are right in that there is more to this than meets the eye

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because you 'love and trust' them, they're incapable of making bad decisions?

I didn't say that. I said it is the decision of the club I love and trust. My expectation is that this decision will be, on balance, correct. But it is the decision, and I struggle to understand how any of us on NSC can claim we are better placed to make a better (different) decision. That of course does not mean the club is incapable of making a bad decision.

OK, for sake of argument, if this actually is a bad decision, why do you (or anyone esle for that matter) think the club made this decision?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
If he's on circa 40k per week that'll be another £2m saved on wages (I assume they are not included in the loan fee).

He's probably one of our higher earners, so perhaps the club feel like it's a good opportunity to free up those wages for someone they think will have more value for the money they're paying.

As he turns 28 this year anyone who signs him will struggle to get much re-sale value, which is probably a factor too.

Certainly feels like the offer isn't too good to turn down though, so makes you think we can't be that desperate to hold onto him.

I've been rubbing my head over this deal. I don't think it's the wages per se but I'm wondering if Knockaert DID in fact have a match highest earner clause in his contract (as often rumoured on NSC). If this was the case perhaps that clause is the reason we we've chosen to get rid rather cheaply as it may be an issue when negotiating contracts for new signings. Just a thought... It's also possible the sun aren't reporting the facts correctly!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I love AK. We will always have the year he tore the championship apart and the goal v palace.
He’s also had a lot happen in his life in recent years and maybe a change is something he feels he needs. I personally think he needs the enjoyment of playing attacking football against players he’s to good for.
Fees not great but if it’s £10 million then we have made £6.5 on him minus wages obviously and he was the biggest factor in getting us to where we are now. In addition we have signed a player likely to be a Belgium international for £5 million more.
Will always get a hero’s reception at the Amex which will be gratefully deserved and I’m sure he will release an emotional statement and will outline how maybe he needs a fresh challenge in his life
Good luck AK

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes. Good points. My underatnding is he is equal top earner (see numrous posts on earnership - we are all guessing to a degree). I can't see the great gambler TB making a hasty 'sod it' decision on this which is why I remain sanguine. BTW, to the AK lovers, I do empathize with the sadness to see the lad go, and if I owed the club I would have kept him.

But, then again, I am a soft southern shite with no business sense and a tendency to inappropriate sentiment.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sorry to see Knocky go but it hasn't really worked for him last two season s and it seems we have loads of wingers and no RB. We only have a 25 player squad and we need money to finance definitely at least one RB, probably another MC, attacking minded and a striker. AK is the only winger other than March (who should definitely not go) who could go so beggars cant be choosers.

Good luck Knocky! Now get an RB in PDQ!!! Max is not the answer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here