Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This is what I don't understand. You can look at Knockaert and see perhaps he can become more consistant under Potter but people don't seem to be giving that opportunity to our current squad. Why do people not say perhaps Ali J could improve under Potter, lets give him a chance?

Because Ali J needs an enormous improvement, whereas Knocky needs a relatively small one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
To clarify, I did not countenance that we would lose this match. This is probably the result that cost Chris his job. It was a home game we should not have lost.

He lost his job because of consistent poor performances and results. This was just the worst of many bad games for us.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Saints and Burnley at home are winnable games that we didn't win last year - be very very interesting to see how we play in these games

We also were never in the bottom three last season - not so sure that will be the case this season

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Fondly remembering than sumptuous chip for Andone to score from....who was it again?

Yep - yep... what more can you say?... It's sad, but (as I said earlier in this thread) the writing was on the wall for AK when Chris departed. He hasn't been able to find that consistency, but (last season) he was (in spite of himself), still our most dangerous wide man... :(

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The last two summers we have spent £50-60m on transfers with maybe £3-10m coming in. We can't keep on going on like that. This summer what we have is someone come in to give us a new style of play and a new mentality for our current players.

Potter says they are respondiing well but still have a lot of work to do. We will bring a couple of players in I suspect but expect this season to be about getting more out of what we have got rather than buying players.

Then we are almost certainly down...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This thread has descended into an echo chamber for pessimists.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The last two summers we have spent £50-60m on transfers with maybe £3-10m coming in. We can't keep on going on like that. This summer what we have is someone come in to give us a new style of play and a new mentality for our current players.

Potter says they are respondiing well but still have a lot of work to do. We will bring a couple of players in I suspect but expect this season to be about getting more out of what we have got rather than buying players

IMHO that would almost guarantee relegation. This team absolutely needs more quality added.

Potter, despite his name, isn't going to wave a magic wand and make our players better overnight. At the moment he's unproven at this level, there's just as much chance of this going horribly wrong.

I'd be happy with only signing two players as long as they were proven quality who are straight into the first 11.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
IMHO that would almost guarantee relegation. This team absolutely needs more quality added.

Potter, despite his name, isn't going to wave a magic wand and make our players better overnight. At the moment he's unproven at this level, there's just as much chance of this going horribly wrong.

I'd be happy with only signing two players as long as they were proven quality who are straight into the first 11.

I'm with you on this, Almost every club that gets promoted to the premiere league spends big. Knowing full well, Strengthening with quality at this level is a minimum. Only the arrogant and narrow minded would think otherwise.
I'm a bit deflated at the moment, unless potter and his staff, can turn andone and co, into premiership class players this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep the window is shut and we have been caught with our trousers down it seems.
We can make the squad up to 25 by adding Hemed, and Suttner to the 23 obvious picks.

Oh no ! Knockaert is off. Best add Ahannach to make it 25.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm looking at Tony's appointments: Poyet (very good), Oscar (meh), Hyypia (car crash), Hughton (superb), Potter ?

As a gambler, I wonder??? Does Tony believe in the law of averages? If so, we're heading for meh at best... eeeeeep :(

I remain worried re the capability of the head coach to meet the level required, and with this squad - win ugly.

With AK leaving we're losing a firecracker, liable to go off but still worth the risk? I rather foolishly expected the club to announce something big to placate us worrisome types :( usual form, but this (no news re a proven addition) is frankly baffling.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yep the window is shut and we have been caught with our trousers down it seems.

Sigh, nobody has said the window is shut because we all know it’s still open, we all know the club at saying that they’re trying to recruit, but until such times as those players arrive we appear to have an incredibly limited squad which will be battling relegation. This has nothing to do with losing to Fulham, this has everything to do with needing reinforcements. Hopefully they will come in the next 3 weeks, but until they do let’s not chastise those that are talking about the CURRENT squad of players.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sigh, nobody has said the window is shut because we all know it’s still open, we all know the club at saying that they’re trying to recruit, but until such times as those players arrive we appear to have an incredibly limited squad which will be battling relegation. This has nothing to do with losing to Fulham, this has everything to do with needing reinforcements. Hopefully they will come in the next 3 weeks, but until they do let’s not chastise those that are talking about the CURRENT squad of players.

Exactly - the CURRENT situation is no where near good enough. We know this to be the case... sure CH lost his compass towards the end of the season and we looked adrift... BUT this squad minus Bruno, minus AK is going to really, really struggle. I really want one or two of the development boys to become world beater's and that might well happen... then again :/

The longer we leave recruiting PL standard players, the harder it becomes for them to hit the ground running and impact on anything until around xmas... can we wait that long?

Yep - everyone's in the same boat, but ours heading towards a certain creek without some very important implements.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah cos Sheff Utd, Newcastle, Norwich, Palace and the likes have spent billions, eh? Ridiculous post.
People said the same last season and so i’ll repeat. Because we’ve no attacking presence - unless of course we bring in some decent strikers which looks unlikely.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I am one of those who believe the current squad is not strong enough to survive and have been feeling pretty negative about the coming season. But I am going to try straw clutching for a bit today, until shot down on here. The sacking of CH was far from universally accepted amongst the fan base and the selling of AK is going to also generate a lot of negative vibes towards the club, particularly if it is the price quoted and Barber continues to moan about inflated prices. So I would like to think that the club are going to release some positive news at a similar time to lift the fan base, and by positive news I don't mean a womens or development signing but a proper first team player. He hoping.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don’t understand your comment about the Cardiff game.

We were bloody awful and deserved to lose. And that was to a team below us in the table.

How about “we should have beaten Southampton at home” er no, we were crap. “ “we should have beaten Burnley at home” arguably worse than Southampton.

Or the ultimate “we should have beaten Bournemouth at home” - if only we hadn’t let in those 5 goals and score a couple ourselves....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is all ifs and buts and the only positive that has or could happen is the change of the approach to the games to get more from them and that is where we have made the change and it remains to be seen whether or not it is a good move by TB. That is not to say I wouldnt welcome a couple of signings but if not I would like to see a more positive approach to the games with it looking like an intent to try to win the game rather than harp on about how good the opposition are.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We will make signings it’s the only the new boys that have moved to early, it will go mental in the last week of the transfer market for quite a few PL clubs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am one of those who believe the current squad is not strong enough to survive and have been feeling pretty negative about the coming season. But I am going to try straw clutching for a bit today, until shot down on here. The sacking of CH was far from universally accepted amongst the fan base and the selling of AK is going to also generate a lot of negative vibes towards the club, particularly if it is the price quoted and Barber continues to moan about inflated prices. So I would like to think that the club are going to release some positive news at a similar time to lift the fan base, and by positive news I don't mean a womens or development signing but a proper first team player. He hoping.
I think you are right, and the official Knockaert news will tie in with a 1st team signing announcement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here