Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree with nearly all of that, if not for comparison with our other wide players.

I think the question is why him? Why is Knocky moved on when he has outperformed every other wide player in the squad?

Whether it's for personal reasons, to free up high wages or this highest earner clause crap, that is the question people are asking along with some understandable sentiment.

I think the answer is that selling him for between £12m - £15m represents good business and financial sense.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I never understand on here that in the one hand Bloom and Barber are considered business fiends, and deal geniuses. Yet dealing with things like this , we assume they’ve tied themselves up in contractual knots (“highest paid clauses “) have let Fulham get one over on us and their first big decision with Potter is to go against his views.
It’s not likely is it.

Supposedly they are, but from the outside looking in i dont see much in this deal that makes any sense, as i said "If reports are to be believed" because im almost expecting the Argus to say that the report in the sun is wrong and the fee is far in excess of the figures quoted, then it makes sense.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Lot of over reaction on here tonight about a player who has continually flattered to deceive at PL level and cannot adapt his style to the demands needed. At Championship level, he can get away with his extravagant over-playing and regular mistakes. On the highest stage, he veers between occasional moments of brilliance and being a liability. His recklessness v Bournemouth was staggeringly poor.

He cannot defend for toffee and always seems capable of a critical mistake at the worst of times. Opening day at Watford, just after HT, loses the ball on the edge of his own box, result goal as we are trying to get back into the game. Away at City, half an hour in, doing ok. Knocky, in their half, turns and plays the ball without looking. Result, goal. Away at Chelsea, 30 minutes in, doing ok, stands off Chelsea player, allowing low cross to near post. Result, goal. Just a few moments in a catalogue of Knocky errors. Throw in hissy fits, flouncing, constant diving and other issues and you get the package. A player constantly frustrated that he fails to deliver what he regularly served up in the Championship.

Leicester got rid of him because they didn't consider him consistent enough for the PL. We are doing the same.

Amazing that people are still trotting out this fallacy. Leicester offered him a new contract but he was behind RIYAD MAHREZ in the pecking order and wanted first team football. I’m struggling to see any wingers better than Knockaert in our squad.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To lose Knockaert for £ 15 m would be absolute madness. He has been a BHAFC hero for 3 years and is the only player we have who can change a game and get you off your seat. I LOVE him and will be gutted if he goes. He always gives 100% and cares which is far more than can be said for a lot of our other players. We have no wingers of note, March is ok, Jakanbasch is woeful and if you did not know he cost £ 17 000 000 and watched him last season you would think we were ripped off if we paid £ 100 000. Izquierdo is crocked and may not come back at all. Trossard is yet another, hopeful punt which may or may not work out. As I said utter madness

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The question is, is there a player we could buy now who could have done better?

Anthony Knockaert in the Championship was amazing, we now need to find the same for the Premier League. Unfortunately that is not him.

I guess we'll find out. It's because AK was so fired up (sometimes too much) in a second-half season of lethargy that I think many of us are upset now. It's not that he was always brilliant (though sometimes he was), it's that he seemed to have that passion when as a club generally our performances didn't.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Their goalie did.

I doubt even Solly takes credit for the second worst free kicks of the season.

Who else is going to take credit? Did the ball propel itself towards goal?

So far you have tried to compare a tap-in from 3 yards created by the opposition, to a goal out of nothing and Goal of the Season winner, and now trying to re-write history again by suggesting Jurgen Locadia was the main reason we got to Wembley with his match-winner at Millwall.

Get in touch with reality.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To lose Knockaert for £ 15 m would be absolute madness. He has been a BHAFC hero for 3 years and is the only player we have who can change a game and get you off your seat. I LOVE him and will be gutted if he goes. He always gives 100% and cares which is far more than can be said for a lot of our other players. We have no wingers of note, March is ok, Jakanbasch is woeful and if you did not know he cost £ 17 000 000 and watched him last season you would think we were ripped off if we paid £ 100 000. Izquierdo is crocked and may not come back at all. Trossard is yet another, hopeful punt which may or may not work out. As I said utter madness
This, it’s madness and for a poxy fee double madness.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A lot of people overreacting to us selling a forth/fifth choice winger. Sentiment aside, we want to remain a premier league side, we need to act like one.
Thanks for the memories Knocky, best of luck at Fulham.
4th/5th choice, despite offering more than the rest of the wingers? Ooookay then.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Good summary. So my question to the Knocky knockers is who do they think we have who is better than Knocky in his position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8995348 said:
Going for £10m which is why people are upset. The only reason I can think of why we are selling so cheap is that he had a "match highest earner clause" in his contract and we wanted him off the books before making our major signings.
This seems to me to be the most logical explanation
There is nothing at all logical about having several of our players on 'highest earner' clauses. It would be madness if we did, and I don't think Bloom is mad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with you in some ways but I also think we shouldn’t be planning to be in that position this season, sure he gave us a lift when he came on but so did Kaz, doesn’t make him good enough.
Kaz is a good comparison, but then Kaz was more than good enough (in the division we were in). Of course we don't plan to be in the position where we need a spark, but it will happen. And that doesn't in any way mean that he can't also perform when things are going well for us.

What about how many times he started and had little to no impact
That applies to pretty much every attacking member of our squad.
quality wise he’s been lacking for some time now
Compared to the rest of our squad, I don't think he has. We're not exactly world beaters.

And £10m! WTF?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Great move for Knocky.

Is it a great move for the Club. That I think depends on the performances of the players Signe in the last 3 transfer windows this coming season.

Knocky almost became the "Default". "Turn to" forward when the newer signings had failed to make a meaningful impact in matches. And with a lot of money spent on them, that couldn't have been ideal,them not being in the side. Now that he is going then the newer players are certain to get more game time,thus justifying the big fees.

So it is a big gamble letting Tony go but you can just about justify it.

If the new players tear up trees in matches this season then it's a great move for the club too. If they don't then it is gonna be a difficult season.

I hope Knocky is as big a success at Fulham as he was at Brighton. Because one thing is for sure. No one could ever accuse him of not giving 100 percent when he crossed the white line on to the pitch

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here