Page 42 of 184 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344455292142 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 1836
  1. #411
    Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cowfold
    Posts
    11,395


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinSouthampton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The players are still under contract, though, so they can play hard ball and tell Man Utd and Maguire both that there is no deal to be made.

    It's what Southampton did with Virgil Van Dijk..... not that it made much difference. He still went eventually.
    Indeed. The flip side to that approach of course, is that if the player wants the move, often the club will get far less commitment from him both on and off the field. Which heralds the question, is it worth keeping an unhappy player? Not an easy question to answer l know.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #412
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      Cowfold
      Posts
      11,395


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Of course you can see Jahanbakhsh going top bins, itís at 2:10


      Seems like Potter has got his number already:

      ďThe key probably with Alireza is to get him as close to goal as possible. Thatís probably where they used him in Holland and therefore you get the goals and assists.Ē Argus.

      You wonít see him going past players, because he is not that type of player. He clearly had very little defensive duties against Huddersfield as he looked very good and was finding space. However, CH had him playing much more defensively in other matches which exposed his weakness at playing further back. He is an inside forward not a right/left midfielder.

      On that note, how many players has Knocky gone round since being in the Premier League? He used to skin players for fun but I canít recall him beating anyone last season.

      Many would argue that Englandís best winger was David Beckham, I really canít remember him beating players and having incredible speed yet he somehow always had space to send in world class crosses or score brilliant goals (like the ones in Ali Jís show reel). Success in Football is ultimately decided by how many goals you score, not how many players you beat, that is why we signed the player.

      Having players in the same position who contrast in style is very good for the squad and Manager.
      I would certainly agree that from the comparatively little l've seen of the player he seems more effective as a number10, rather than as an out and out winger. As you say he is no Knockaert and playing out wide we perhaps don't get the best out of him.

      The problem is that we already have Pascale Gross as our established no.10 who, when fit, does very well in that role in my opinion, and l can also make a case for Davy Propper to be pushed up into that position too where he has had relative success for the Netherlands. Still competition for places has to be a good thing l guess!
    • #413
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Almeria, Spain
      Posts
      3,221


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Of course you can see Jahanbakhsh going top bins, itís at 2:10


      Seems like Potter has got his number already:

      ďThe key probably with Alireza is to get him as close to goal as possible. Thatís probably where they used him in Holland and therefore you get the goals and assists.Ē Argus.

      You wonít see him going past players, because he is not that type of player. He clearly had very little defensive duties against Huddersfield as he looked very good and was finding space. However, CH had him playing much more defensively in other matches which exposed his weakness at playing further back. He is an inside forward not a right/left midfielder.

      On that note, how many players has Knocky gone round since being in the Premier League? He used to skin players for fun but I canít recall him beating anyone last season.

      Many would argue that Englandís best winger was David Beckham, I really canít remember him beating players and having incredible speed yet he somehow always had space to send in world class crosses or score brilliant goals (like the ones in Ali Jís show reel). Success in Football is ultimately decided by how many goals you score, not how many players you beat, that is why we signed the player.

      Having players in the same position who contrast in style is very good for the squad and Manager.
      Haven't watched that video since AJ signed, but watching it again now and comparing with the guy we were playing mostly wide on the left, it seems to me we almost criminally mis-used him, akin to playing Bruno as centre forward and expecting him to win the golden boot.

      I have slated Ali J on here previously, i take it back, play him in a role that suits him and we might just be singing his praises, feel really sorry for the guy now.
      In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?
    • #414
      Captain Hindsight TSB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Lansdowne Place, Hove
      Posts
      17,611


      0 Not allowed!
      Always amusing to see people deluding themselves that our record signing was in any way a sensible one.
      The voice of hindsight.
      Bring back Chris Hughton.
    • #415
      You can change this Bozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      43,221


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecosse Exile View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      playing Bruno as centre forward and expecting him to win the golden boot.
      I suspect he would though.
    • #416
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Almeria, Spain
      Posts
      3,221


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I suspect he would though.
      Yeah, ok, bad example, obviously Bruno can or could have done that with ease, maybe i should have said Bong, yeah, thats better
      In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?
    • #417
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Almeria, Spain
      Posts
      3,221


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Always amusing to see people deluding themselves that our record signing was in any way a sensible one.
      Or deluding themselves that our previous manager played him in a position that suited him
      In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?
    • #418
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      20,859


      6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecosse Exile View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Haven't watched that video since AJ signed, but watching it again now and comparing with the guy we were playing mostly wide on the left, it seems to me we almost criminally mis-used him, akin to playing Bruno as centre forward and expecting him to win the golden boot.

      I have slated Ali J on here previously, i take it back, play him in a role that suits him and we might just be singing his praises, feel really sorry for the guy now.
      Because you've seen a youtube highlights real from an inferior league!?

      Re-writing history appears to be commonplace on here now. CH tried AJ in a variety of positions, when Gross was injured he tried him as a no.10, he's been an outright winger right and left, part of an attacking 3 playing inside and outside. He didn't really shine in any spot. What is this player, someone who has to have a very specific tactical setup? It's nothing like Bruno being a centre forward, it would be like asking Bruno to be a wing back rather than a full back – something Bruno would have slotted into without batting an eyelid.

      I'm sorry, but we are in the PL where every player has to make a defensive contribution. If you watch how Potter set Osterund up against Galatasary and Arsenal, it wasn't all attacking football, not by a long shot, Osterund played 6 at the back for a time against Galatasary with every player contribution to soaking up pressure. There is a delusion setting in that we aren't going to have to defend, that players like AJ will simply have only new attacking duties to attend to. Not going to happen. We are in a fiercely competitive league, one that dominated Europe last season, and whether we are better attacking with the ball this season or not (which we all hope we are), we are still going to have to do a serious amount of defending with every player contributing to that.
    • #419

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecosse Exile View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Haven't watched that video since AJ signed, but watching it again now and comparing with the guy we were playing mostly wide on the left, it seems to me we almost criminally mis-used him, akin to playing Bruno as centre forward and expecting him to win the golden boot.

      I have slated Ali J on here previously, i take it back, play him in a role that suits him and we might just be singing his praises, feel really sorry for the guy now.
      It's worth digging out the heat map that shows where AJ played in Holland v. where he played for us last season. It's completely different. We have not used this weapon in the right way so far. Potter just might.
    • #420
      Dangerous Idiot Justice's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Born In Shoreham
      Posts
      7,694


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Always amusing to see people deluding themselves that our record signing was in any way a sensible one.
      That must hurt you finding a flaw in Hughton.
      You make me

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •