Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am of no doubt Knockaert wanted this, that the low fee is to help him, but that the loan is to make sure Knockaert feels it was a good move before committing to anything long term.

I think Potter, Ashworth, Bloom and the club generally are taking a lot of undeserved flack for helping a player who by his own admission has been suffering with depression since the death of his father.

AK thanked the club for everything they have done for him during this time, a time that he said had been the best of his career, what he understandably left out was that it coincided with what was probably, on a personal level the worst of his life, he lost his father, someone he regarded as having been a huge influence on his life, not long after losing his brother, then due to being probably unbearable to live with, his wife left him, taking his young son with her.

The guy has been depressed for most of his time at Brighton and probably needs a change of scenery more than anyone can imagine, dont be too quick to judge all at the club for acting humanely if this is the case, its not always about money.
If he just needed a change of scenery (which would be totally understandable), then why not just a loan, without the option for a sale at the end?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"Brighton's Anthony Knockaert has joined Fulham on loan. The Frenchman, who had more assists last year than Wilfried Zaha, Dele Alli and Gerard Deulofeu was no longer needed at free-scoring, chance-a-minute Brighton, who also didn't require a transfer fee...."

Yep. I love AK and will miss him but...he also had the same amount of assists as Solly March, scored only 2 goals last season, like it or not going was due to be 4th or even 5th choice wideman when Izquierdo returns, wouldn't fit seamlessly into a 4-2-3-1 as a 4-4-2 and there's a eye watering loan fee if Fulham don't keep hold of him and a big fee (we don't know how much) if they do.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yep. I love AK and will miss him but...he also had the same amount of assists as Solly March, scored only 2 goals last season, like it or not going was due to be 4th or even 5th choice wideman when Izquierdo returns, wouldn't fit seamlessly into a 4-2-3-1 as a 4-4-2 and there's a eye watering loan fee if Fulham don't keep hold of him and a big fee (we don't know how much) if they do.
I could swear you’ve posted that several times, and each time you’ve been told Knockaert had more assists. It might only be one more, but why are you trying to water it down?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

if Isquirdo returns. He was rat shit when he last come back. These long injuries are damaging.

He's also got to come back without any niggles , plus have a sort of pre season for himself. He's well out of the picture

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
£4m, eye watering? Not in the Premier League, kids are being bought and thrown in the u-23s for that kind of money. Real world terms it’s big money but it’s loose change in the Premier League.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

To be fair CJ, I think we were all hoping he would have been 4th or even 5th choice last season, along with the already mentioned March 3rd or 4th. However, as you have pointed out, those 2 ended up being the biggest creators last season in the entire squad.

So it is all very well at this point saying he'd be 4th or 5th, but that is on a huge assumption that Izquierdo, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia come good under Potter following last season's poor showing, and Trossard hits the ground running. Right now I'd have him 3rd choice if not outright 2nd.

If we get to the season and we have the players signed or in form that would have pushed Knockaert into 4th or 5th, then we will be in very good shape indeed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I could swear you’ve posted that several times, and each time you’ve been told Knockaert had more assists. It might only be one more, but why are you trying to water it down?
Many things have been said several times on this thread. One of the other things that has been said several times is that there are clearly non-footballing reasons that have contributed to this move, and yet not many people lamenting his departure have even acknowledged that.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Wait until he scores his first goal for the cottagers,slides on his knees by the corner flag rips off his shirt to display the tattoos of his dad, his son and the him celebrating scoring a goal in the strips :albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
if Isquirdo returns. He was rat shit when he last come back. These long injuries are damaging.

He's also got to come back without any niggles , plus have a sort of pre season for himself. He's well out of the picture

The massive concern with Izquierdo is his injury maybe mental as much as physical. His knee may never feel the same again, and mentally he has to get over that and learn to trust it's strength again even though it may feel different with perhaps some discomfort. He alluded to this in an interview last season. We're on a bit of a fingers crossed with him I feel.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Many things have been said several times on this thread. One of the other things that has been said several times is that there are clearly non-footballing reasons that have contributed to this move, and yet not many people lamenting his departure have even acknowledged that.

Clearly?

I would say it's likely, perhaps even highly likely, but there's nothing much clear about this deal at all.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
£4m, eye watering? Not in the Premier League, kids are being bought and thrown in the u-23s for that kind of money. Real world terms it’s big money but it’s loose change in the Premier League.

For a 12 month loan ?
In the Championship ?

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Indeed, there’s definitely something out of the ordinary about the whole scenario, whether we’ll ever find out, who knows? I still feel the fees being reported seem below market value so the club must have been quite desperate to offload him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, that’s why I typed it.

Fair enough you think its a football mistake and a financial one. Already.
I can see why they've done it football wise (premature to pass verdict) and the financials (all speculation ) and personal (no idea. but presumably Potter and AK were happy with it)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But they aren't are they. We stayed up twice. We have been and still are a competitive side.

But the margins are fine. We got 35 points last season and for each one of the wins we got, we were grimly holding on at the end. We can't afford to have a weaker starting 11 than we had last season. Currently we are weaker (Our first choice right back has retired, our main goalscorer is a year older and we've just got rid of one of our only creative players. We may still sell Dunk). The club may well pull something out of the fire in the next 2 weeks. My opinion is that they are going to need to stay up.

With another £105m from the PL, giving total income of £140m, it would be bizarre of Bloom to ignore the cash & to bank on Potter turning our slow, uncreative squad into a slick mid table outfight. What’s the point in being one of several clubs in the Championship with a few bob in the bank and/or a rich owner? Far better to remain at top table with the £105m each season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here