Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thanks for all your feedback which is very encouraging. When you say very one-footed, which foot? Tom Cairney is very left-footed (although he scored on Saturday in...ahem...a meaningless preseason friendly with his right) and we could do with a decent attacking right-footer.

Knockaert plays on the right and cuts on to his left generally (at least under CH).

He does use his right, but it does depend how long the grass is [emoji2]

Was impressed with Fulham’s fitness levels particularly as they chased the ball for 45 mins...... Trouble is we chased it for the second 45 [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If we want to replace AK with some (possibly) temperamental flair - why don't we get on the blower to Jonesy and ask about Bojan? Bruno (Cattalan connection) and Potter might get a tune out of him?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Apart from his petulance, what are his downsides?

None of us are privy to the specifics behind the scenes, but obv that he's like a problem child (with a key to the alcohol cupboard).

I would guess the club (not just the manager) decided he's too much of a distraction.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Keep going if you want. None of your comparisons are making any sense.

It doesn't make sense to compare Knockaert to March?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
None of us are privy to the specifics behind the scenes, but obv that he's like a problem child (with a key to the alcohol cupboard).

I would guess the club (not just the manager) decided he's too much of a distraction.

Hmm...we already have a right-sided French problem child with the initials AK (and squad number 47). He got in a training ground fight last season and was shipped out on loan to Turkey. He's back now and, judging by the training ground videos and his performance on Saturday, seems integrated into the squad again. Should be interesting to have the 2 in the same squad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some points on this.

I’m not writing any of the other wingers off, they may come good. But on the evidence we’ve seen, if we need a goal in a big match with 20 minutes left, who would you rather see coming off the bench, Knocky, Ali J or Locadia? Honestly.

“Izquierdo outperformed Knocky”. Jose played well for a short period and scored a couple of good goals. I like him. I’m prepared to put Izquierdo’s performances in the year and half since this time down to lack of fitness. But, wouldn’t you want them both in? A fit Jose on one side and Knocky on the other?

And while we’re on fitness, surely that’s part of a reason to keep someone as well. Izquierdo has managed 2/3’s of a season in 2 years and there’s no indication of when he might be fit. Locadia came with an injury and this was cited as one of the reasons he took a while to get up to speed. Ali J has had a few niggles. As has been posted, Knocky got stretchered off on a Friday in the play offs and started on the Tuesday. I don’t remember him being injured any other times.

Just because you believe AK to be better than anyone else available that doesn't automatically mean he's any good.

It can just as easily mean they are in fact all shite and not up to the demands of the Premier League.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm...we already have a right-sided French problem child with the initials AK (and squad number 47). He got in a training ground fight last season and was shipped out on loan to Turkey. He's back now and, judging by the training ground videos and his performance on Saturday, seems integrated into the squad again. Should be interesting to have the 2 in the same squad.

Yeah, good luck!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
"Brighton's Anthony Knockaert has joined Fulham on loan. The Frenchman, who had more assists last year than Wilfried Zaha, Dele Alli and Gerard Deulofeu was no longer needed at free-scoring, chance-a-minute Brighton, who also didn't require a transfer fee...."

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But they aren't are they. We stayed up twice. We have been and still are a competitive side.

But the margins are fine. We got 35 points last season and for each one of the wins we got, we were grimly holding on at the end. We can't afford to have a weaker starting 11 than we had last season. Currently we are weaker (Our first choice right back has retired, our main goalscorer is a year older and we've just got rid of one of our only creative players. We may still sell Dunk). The club may well pull something out of the fire in the next 2 weeks. My opinion is that they are going to need to stay up.

Just because you believe AK to be better than anyone else available that doesn't automatically mean he's any good.

It can just as easily mean they are in fact all shite and not up to the demands of the Premier League.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Brighton's Anthony Knockaert has joined Fulham on loan. The Frenchman, who had more assists last year than Wilfried Zaha, Dele Alli and Gerard Deulofeu was no longer needed at free-scoring, chance-a-minute Brighton, who also didn't require a transfer fee...."

Lovely name, Keith Bumdungeon. :lolol:

[tweet]1153024344962064391[/tweet]

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not at all - I totally concur, he's a much better Championship player than a consistent threat at this level. However, he needs replacing and with an improved option otherwise we're very, very light on legitimate quality. Fact.

This is the thing, I could accept him being sold if we'd got a decent fee and he'd been replaced by something better. The problem is that neither thing has happened.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is the thing, I could accept him being sold if we'd got a decent fee and he'd been replaced by something better. The problem is that neither thing has happened.

Maybe his issues are such that no-one will actually buy him at the moment (not aware of any interest from anywhere else), so he’s getting a year at ‘his level’ to sort things out (including without having to move etc) ?

I have no idea whether this is the case, but none of us have any clue as to the determining factors behind the decision, and if it was something like this neither club are hardly going to make it public. We can bleat all we want with our opinions but we have pretty astute people owning and running the club so to think they’ve allowed themselves to be hoodwinked into a crap deal for the club in the circumstances (whatever they are) is stretching credibility somewhat.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Exactly.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Am I alone here, I can kind of understand why the club are letting him go, even though I don’t think any of our other wingers are better, but what’s really boiled my piss is the seemingly pathetic fee we’re letting him go for. He will be box office at Fulham.
You're absolutely not alone. There is literally no upside for us in this deal. To sanction this whilst Barber bemoans the price of players just beggars belief

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Only thing is, was there something else ongoing?

Or TB lost faith after the Bmuff sending off, bit like the CH story?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes, I could understand it from a strategic point of view if we had some up front cash to spend elsewhere. Look at Palace. They're no better than us, they stay up because whenever they get in trouble they pay a preposterous loan fee and wages for someone like Batshuiyi, who will get them out of trouble in the short term. If we're getting that level of quality in and this was the plan all along, fine. But we're not are we.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think I'm just fed up because I've got to break it to my 7 year old son tonight. It's going to be like the whole gerbil debacle all over again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here