Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree entirely.

Said it in other posts, but logically (although NSC would), no manager would make a decision based on 2-3 weeks pre-season training and 45 mins in a friendly (in which he created one goal) and looked ‘hungry’ throughout.

Videos do not tell the whole story, as you cannot pick up finer nuances such as positional play and movement.

I would be surprised if it was Potters decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be even more surprised if he wasn’t involved in the decision in some way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would be even more surprised if he wasn’t involved in the decision in some way.

Abso-blooming-lutely.

The only way he didn't make the final decision is if it was already made before he arrived.

Failing that why would he take the job?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
1 more assist than Zaha, yes. But 8 less goals than him. Deli Ali got 3 more goals and most spurs fans think he had a terrible season (16-17 - 18G,7A, 17-18 - 9G,10A) Other than that a great comparison.

More assists than March. Perhaps he should leave too?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I agree entirely.

Said it in other posts, but logically (although NSC would), no manager would make a decision based on 2-3 weeks pre-season training and 45 mins in a friendly (in which he created one goal) and looked ‘hungry’ throughout.

Videos do not tell the whole story, as you cannot pick up finer nuances such as positional play and movement.

I would be surprised if it was Potters decision.

Quite, I totally agree that this decision or movement toward this outcome was not instigated by GP, and was most likely was influenced by two/three things: one the promise of an adequate replacement, and the opinion that AK needed a fresh challenge, and beyond this, that his tendency towards a full on two footed lunge had let the side down somewhat.

I hope the club can deliver on the recruitment side of things to satisfy any proviso that may have been made to GP... It's also crossed my mind that the loan element may have been agreed with GP to keep an option on AK, should we decide to retain him following a brilliant and non petulant season at Fulham.

Hey ho... whatever, it's errmmmm over, time to let it go and move on. What will be will be and should we go down, it's not like we're falling out of the football league.

Onward.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Look forward to this at Watford or Citeh.

We go behind, and just to help the new gaffer and the present side/formation settle, we start chanting the name of an ex-player.

Brillo.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Is no one of the opinion that Knockaert wants this, but rather the club fight Knockaert and rock the boat. The club authorises a loan which if we do feel like Knockaert still has something to offer, he can come back next season and if not, we can make a profit.

Furthermore, this could mean we're freeing up 45k a year for a year to bring in a loan from somewhere with high wages.

Just a thought. Too much doom and gloom on this thread.

I am of no doubt Knockaert wanted this, that the low fee is to help him, but that the loan is to make sure Knockaert feels it was a good move before committing to anything long term.

I think Potter, Ashworth, Bloom and the club generally are taking a lot of undeserved flack for helping a player who by his own admission has been suffering with depression since the death of his father.

AK thanked the club for everything they have done for him during this time, a time that he said had been the best of his career, what he understandably left out was that it coincided with what was probably, on a personal level the worst of his life, he lost his father, someone he regarded as having been a huge influence on his life, not long after losing his brother, then due to being probably unbearable to live with, his wife left him, taking his young son with her.

The guy has been depressed for most of his time at Brighton and probably needs a change of scenery more than anyone can imagine, dont be too quick to judge all at the club for acting humanely if this is the case, its not always about money.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Abso-blooming-lutely.

The only way he didn't make the final decision is if it was already made before he arrived.

Failing that why would he take the job?

Promises, promises.......?

I think your post captured it last night, that hypothetically perhaps at the interview he was advised this was the case.....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Could you try to be analytical about Ali J's contributions last year then, or Locadia's, or Izquierdo's? I'm all ears

They are not the players in question.
Sure, I can try and be analytical about all of them if I want to but we are searching for reasons why AK is being let go. You have your opinion that he is better than all the rest and shouldn't go. Thats a personal opinion. I have tried to find possible reasons why he is being let go. AJ and Locadia are relatively new into contracts and largely, still unproven. Clearly, some fans have already decided they are rubbish and should be shipped out but you have to weigh up the financial implications of doing that. JI massively outperformed Knocky in 17/18 before injury sidelined him and his recent operation suggests he wasn't fit when he came back last season. He is our real match-winner when fit. As for the other two, I think it is too early yet for the club to make any decisions and we need to see them playing under Potter.
I can analyse Knocky more because I have seen him more, playing in a settled position. I know what he is capable of. I need to see the others being used slightly differently, this season, before passing full judgement. I agree that they haven't lived up to expectations yet but I am certainly not writing them off.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Not according to the official stats on the Premier League website. AK 6, SM 5. Not posting the link again as I've already done it three times.

Ok I had to have a look back. These are the assists for both if you're interested.

Knocky's assists
United - "Assist" is a strong word for that one. Heavy touch bounced to Duffy
Fulham - Quality run at the defence before squaring to Murray
Southampton - Cross from free kick
Leicester - Cross from Corner
Burnley - Cross from free kick
Huddersfield - Cross from open play

Solly's:
United - Cross from open play
Everton - Cross from open play
Cardiff - Cross from FK
Huddersfield - Cross from open play (x2)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn’t Oscar Garcia mention broken promises or am I imagining it?

Probably the latter....

No, I remember similar, and in particular Garcia made Barnes a key part of his setup and was [said to have been] given assurances he'd have him until the end of the season. He played in every game up until his departure as I recall. I do remember Garcia being particularly irked by that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some points on this.

I’m not writing any of the other wingers off, they may come good. But on the evidence we’ve seen, if we need a goal in a big match with 20 minutes left, who would you rather see coming off the bench, Knocky, Ali J or Locadia? Honestly.

“Izquierdo outperformed Knocky”. Jose played well for a short period and scored a couple of good goals. I like him. I’m prepared to put Izquierdo’s performances in the year and half since this time down to lack of fitness. But, wouldn’t you want them both in? A fit Jose on one side and Knocky on the other?

And while we’re on fitness, surely that’s part of a reason to keep someone as well. Izquierdo has managed 2/3’s of a season in 2 years and there’s no indication of when he might be fit. Locadia came with an injury and this was cited as one of the reasons he took a while to get up to speed. Ali J has had a few niggles. As has been posted, Knocky got stretchered off on a Friday in the play offs and started on the Tuesday. I don’t remember him being injured any other times.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Is no one of the opinion that Knockaert wants this, but rather the club fight Knockaert and rock the boat. The club authorises a loan which if we do feel like Knockaert still has something to offer, he can come back next season and if not, we can make a profit.

Furthermore, this could mean we're freeing up 45k a year for a year to bring in a loan from somewhere with high wages.

Just a thought. Too much doom and gloom on this thread.

This, maybe Knocky feels ready for a change after a period of tough times and mental anguish and is ready for a fresh start. Some sad things have happened in his personal life whilst he has been here and maybe he feels this is best for him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Two of those assists, Southampton away and Fulham H, to me typify what Knocky was all about. In both games, we were 2-0 down, in the second half, in need of someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck with a bit of quality.

And that’s what he gave us, proper game changing quality, through the force of his personality. What a ball it was at Southampton.

Quality balls from Solly as well I should say, especially that cross for Muzza home to Man U

Ok I had to have a look back. These are the assists for both if you're interested.

Knocky's assists
United - "Assist" is a strong word for that one. Heavy touch bounced to Duffy
Fulham - Quality run at the defence before squaring to Murray
Southampton - Cross from free kick
Leicester - Cross from Corner
Burnley - Cross from free kick
Huddersfield - Cross from open play

Solly's:
United - Cross from open play
Everton - Cross from open play
Cardiff - Cross from FK
Huddersfield - Cross from open play (x2)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You must be the fella who sits about 5 rows behind me in the North stand.
Constantly spouting shite about March.

Absolute blinkered nonsense every time he's on the ball.

I take it you will be surprised if March starts a game under Potter, because we will have better options for Potterball?
Not me me seeing as I’m in the front row :) I just find March incredibly frustrating as he hasn’t got a final ball in him, can’t see anything changing this season but we live in hope. Fans get suckered by the local lad thing and defend him to the hilt even though as an attacking threat he’s a bit shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here