Page 1 of 174 12341151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

East Stand Brighton Boyz BUTTERBALL's Avatar

Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

1 Not allowed!
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...remier-league/

ANTHONY KNOCKAERT is on Fulham's wanted list as they target an instant return to the Premier League.

The Cottagers have made contact with Brighton and while a formal offer has yet to be made, a £15million fee has been discussed.

The winger scored four times for the Seagulls last season

Knockaert will be tempted to drop down a division by the prospect of a hefty increase in his wages which are believed to be around £40,000 a week.

Fulham see the 27-year-old Frenchman as the ideal player to score and create goals out wide.

It is a position the club are keen to fill following the exits of Ryan Babel, Andre Schurrle and the expected departure of Ryan Sessegnon to Tottenham.

Knockaert has proven pedigree in the second tier having won the Championship player of the year during Brighton's promotion season in 2017.

That campaign he hit 15 league goals as Albion finished runners-up to Newcastle.

But he has struggled to replicate that level in the Premier League and with Brighton fully stocked out wide, they could be tempted to cash in.

Fulham have made their intentions clear of gunning for promotion back to the top flight at the first attempt with the contract renewals of stars Tom Cairney and Aleksandar Mitrovic.
    Super Moderator

1 Not allowed!
    Guess work or strategic leak... who knows... but could be a good move for all concerned?

19 Not allowed!
    I would hate to see him go...this could be a greats season with a more attacking manager..

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by forumwayseagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would hate to see him go...this could be a greats season with a more attacking manager..
    This. Again itís about value to us. He scored 3 goals and got six assists in a dog shit attacking team last season so to replace that is c£20-30m all day long.

Splash the cash Fernandez or jog on.
    The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barham's tash View Post
    This. Again it’s about value to us. He scored 3 goals and got six assists in a dog shit attacking team last season so to replace that is c£20-30m all day long.

Splash the cash Fernandez or jog on.
    Fernandez?

Are you thinking of Tony Fernades, the owner of QPR...?
    The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
    Fernandez?

Are you thinking of Tony Fernades, the owner of QPR...?
    DOH.

Oh come on itís less than 2 miles up the Fulham Palace Road. Sake.

My head pictured Khan but brain engaged Fernandez.

1 Not allowed!
    Am I alone is starting to worry about this idea that we are suddenly going to unleash our players into some attacking unit, and all will simply be well with the World?

What have we seen from the current crop that suggests we can do that without getting absolutely torn apart? If "Harry" Potter was looking to do this with a re-designed squad, having strengthened in a number of key positions, but we're not. We're expecting us to be successful attacking teams with the same group that got torn a new one by Bournemouth, who were in the middle of a truly diabolical run of away form.

There is a whiff of the Emperor's New Clothes about this for me.
    "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

Knocky to Fulham?

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
    Am I alone is starting to worry about this idea that we are suddenly going to unleash our players into some attacking unit, and all will simply be well with the World?

What have we seen from the current crop that suggests we can do that without getting absolutely torn apart? If "Harry" Potter was looking to do this with a re-designed squad, having strengthened in a number of key positions, but we're not. We're expecting us to be successful attacking teams with the same group that got torn a new one by Bournemouth, who were in the middle of a truly diabolical run of away form.

There is a whiff of the Emperor's New Clothes about this for me.
    I think weíd all settle to be able to make reasoned judgements about our attacking capabilities by, well, actually attacking.

Seriously if one (not you specifically here) canít understand or couldnít see how shackled our flair players were then I donít know what you were watching.

The brief from Hughton was always caution first and attack only on an overload and only if youíre sure your team mate is backing you up.

Now whilst many may counter me by saying this is sensible as we were a squad with perceived lower technical skill, speed etc Iíd counter that by saying we were but not last season. The recruitment brief was to improve on these deficiencies and imo we did but CH failed to alter his approach or tactical rigidity and continued to discourage individual expression.

The new signings last year were of course challenged to prove their place in the first XI and as weíve heard from multiple sources CH had to first trust a player was capable of executing his instructions before that would happen.

Having won their place in the side do you think any of these players wouldnít tow the line and do as they were told? No of course not because they wanted to stay in the side.

Here are some relevant examples to support the argument:

Bernardo - first appearance in unfamiliar right back slot following Brunoís injury at Watford. Performance clearly not in line with instruction. Dropped and didnít reappear for some time. (Whilst we watched Bong underperform but two the line at LB)

Bissouma - Not trusted because he carried the ball too much, some unforced errors and didnít play to instruction so restricted to cup appearances until our own poor form forced him back into reckoning, but did so in a more restricted less expansive role.

GroŖ - injured then when fit returned as part of a 3 man midfield and tied himself to the formation rather than expressing himself higher up the pitch as per previous season - looking a shadow of himself but maintaining discipline to retain his place.

Ali J - look at his heat map comparisons for season before in Holland - predominantly in attacking half and not shackled to a particular side of the pitch despite playing on the right of a fluid 4-3-3 versus straddling half way line and hugging touch line to support as a secondary full back

Locadia - in the cup playing through the middle, looking more interested and dangerous v left side of pitch and again shackled to staying out side and supporting full back yet not encouraged to even cross the ball

I could go on.

But I guess people will see what they want to see...

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barham's tash View Post
    I think we’d all settle to be able to make reasoned judgements about our attacking capabilities by, well, actually attacking.

Seriously if one (not you specifically here) can’t understand or couldn’t see how shackled our flair players were then I don’t know what you were watching.
    And this is the key bit. It's like we are suddenly getting excited about players who are sat on the bench, because we all know that a guy on the bench can do no wrong. A lot of people (again, this is general and not aimed at you mate) seem happy to believe we have these great flair players, but they just weren't allowed to show it. But I ask, who are they? Name names?

Knocky - love the bloke, but he has the look of a guy who is much happier as the king of The Championship, rather than dealing with tighter situations at this level.
    Bissouma - great prospect, there is a lot more to come yet, and he could be one, but to date in League games I've seen 0 goals, 0 assist. Not seen the end product yet. Possible though.
    Ali J - again, I;d love to think that is a great player who just hasn't been played right, but I've seen so little sign of it.
    Locadia - not for me. I don't see what he has that will trouble a defence. Pace, strength, technique, tricks, flicks, heading. None of them are exceptional and going to worry anyone, no matter how attacking we play.
    March - like March a lot, he could benefit, he was a regular on assist, and should be able to add goals to his game. But I think he's near his ceiling.
    Gross/Izzy - tough gig last season, as neither were fit. If we see them both fully fit, they can give us a threat.

Then the forward line, just doesn't look Premier quality. Murray, I don't know how long we can keep getting seasons like the last 2 out of him. Hemed, wasn't pulling up trees at QPR. Andone, flashes, but no more, perhaps we get more out of him.

So, yes, there is a little more that I think an attacking policy can give us, but whether that outweights the reduced cover such a style will bring on our defensive record, I have serious doubts. But I keep reading as if it's automatic that merely changing our style will see us up the table, even without better players coming in.
    "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."
    Members

1 Not allowed!
    Absolutely what he said
    ...Gatting fed the ball to Tony Grealish...who found Neil Smillie...who laid the ball off to Gary Howlett, his pinpoint cross was met by Gordon Smith, who eluded McQueen to send a beautiful header beyond the reach of Gary Bailey.......