Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert joins Fulham on initial one-year loan

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A polite reminder that Jahanbaksh made 17 starts and 7 sub appearances last season which culminated in ZERO goals and ZERO assists. He’s the future.

Yes, have people forgotten his ‘contribution’ to the cause. I hope he comes good but, at best, the jury is still out on Ali J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This Harry Wilson love fest is a joke too. Hits a few decent free kicks so we’ve got fans stroking over him, I swear people forget how good Knockaert was in the Championship.

This. People jizzing over Wilson, who played for a Championship team that finished 6th and didn’t get promoted, whereas Knocky regularly ran the show in a team that got promotion with games to spare, and he was voted Championship player of the season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This. People jizzing over Wilson, who played for a Championship team that finished 6th and didn’t get promoted, whereas Knocky regularly ran the show in a team that got promotion with games to spare, and he was voted Championship player of the season.

Yea but Klopp says he’s good.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
And how would you then replace Knocky? How much do you think that will cost? £20m? £25m? Very foolish to sell UNLESS you have a replacement already signed.

We would certainly need to try and replace Knocky if he left. Knocky can be volatile, but that's due to his competiveness and his passion. He's one of the few creative players we have who can conjure up match winning moments, and would be a massive loss. There is the possibility that any transfer would not be club driven. Given what's happened over the last few years and the troubles Knocky has had, he may feel like he needs a fresh start and new scenery. Hughton leaving has also probably affected a few players.

Everton are asking for £25m for Ademola Lookman, and I'm wondering if he's the sort of player that Ashworth would have us looking at if we're considering going for a home-grown option.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We would certainly need to try and replace Knocky if he left. Knocky can be volatile, but that's due to his competiveness and his passion. He's one of the few creative players we have who can conjure up match winning moments, and would be a massive loss. There is the possibility that any transfer would not be club driven. Given what's happened over the last few years and the troubles Knocky has had, he may feel like he needs a fresh start and new scenery. Hughton leaving has also probably affected a few players.

Everton are asking for £25m for Ademola Lookman, and I'm wondering if he's the sort of player that Ashworth would have us looking at if we're considering going for a home-grown option.
But according to The Sun and to Naylor we’re well stocked with wingers, which would suggest we wouldn’t be looking to replace him, which is great news as Locadia, Ali J and Izquierdo are such consistent threats.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
He is one of those handful of players who cane it in the Championship but just can't cut it in the Prem.

I think we've seen enough to know this: running at defenders and beating them with pace and fast feet in the Championship, running at defenders until he inevitably loses the ball in the Prem.

I really like the guy and enjoy watching him, but he's not done it in the Prem and he knows it, hence the petulance and rash decision making. Some of this may have been down to our defensive mindset, but not much of it. I also wonder if our evolving squad are less tolerant of his behaviour because he isn't "the best player on the pitch" anymore and they have less shared history.

Sell for £15m and let the guy get a pay rise (odd that they're paying more than we do?) and play with a great big smile on his face. We'll miss you Knocky, but could be best for everyone.

Very much what my thoughts are. Love knocky but he strikes me as someone who needs to be winning games and be a big part of that. Unrealistic to expect that in the prem from us. If he wants to tear up defences, might be a good thing for him 15m too cheap though, irrespective of any other transfers going on. If fulham want promotion they are going to have to invest
20m with a promotion bonus (random number guess)

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
And how would you then replace Knocky? How much do you think that will cost? £20m? £25m? Very foolish to sell UNLESS you have a replacement already signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think we would go for a direct replacement. The thinking should be does getting 15m for Knocky help us bring in the right quality in higher priority areas. Like right back, box to box midfielder and a Murray alternative. Get that right and I suspect it would have a greater impact than AK as an individual.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But according to The Sun and to Naylor we’re well stocked with wingers, which would suggest we wouldn’t be looking to replace him, which is great news as Locadia, Ali J and Izquierdo are such consistent threats.

Wonder why we aren't getting any bids for our consistent threats.

New levels of madness if we get rid of Knockaert with preference to AJ, Locadia and an injured Izquierdo.

Judging by how utterly shit our record has been in spending money lately, It's staggering to see so many people wanting to cash in. We'd probably use the money to bring in FC De Graafschap's playmaker or similar.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I don’t think we would go for a direct replacement. The thinking should be does getting 15m for Knocky help us bring in the right quality in higher priority areas. Like right back, box to box midfielder and a Murray alternative. Get that right and I suspect it would have a greater impact than AK as an individual.

We are in the PL for christ's sake, why do we need to RAISE FUNDS?

Based on our prior budgets in this division, we still have 40-50M to spend. If we wanted to push the boat out we could spend up to 70M more.

It's exasperating to read so many people suggesting AK isn't a PL player. If that's the case what does AJ or Locadia qualify as?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Wonder why we aren't getting any bids for our consistent threats.

New levels of madness if we get rid of Knockaert with preference to AJ, Locadia and an injured Izquierdo.

Judging by how utterly shit our record has been in spending money lately, It's staggering to see so many people wanting to cash in. We'd probably use the money to bring in FC De Graafschap's playmaker or similar.

Agreed. I’m not going to pretend Knockaert is a world beater, and he certainly has his flaws, but Ali J is utter tosh, Locadia isn’t a winger, and Izquierdo is made of cheese. March and Knockaert, as it stands, are our best two wingers.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I really like Knocky, however if the Team needs freshening up and that means moving a few players on then so be it.... Assuming that new players are brought in that IMPROVE the team...

Linked today with Maupay and Roofe so it looks like things are starting to get going...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I really like Knocky, however if the Team needs freshening up and that means moving a few players on then so be it.... Assuming that new players are brought in that IMPROVE the team...

Linked today with Maupay and Roofe so it looks like things are starting to get going...
I don’t get this. Why are so many people happy to see Knockaert(Championship POTS) leave as long we replace him with Championship players with zero Premier League experience. If we ‘need’ to get rid of some players I’d suggest looking at Ali J, Kayal, Balogun, Suttner and probably Locadia.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Selling Knocky and buying one or both of those two wouldn’t improve the squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t get this. Why are so many people happy to see Knockaert(Championship POTS) leave as long we replace him with Championship players with zero Premier League experience. If we ‘need’ to get rid of some players I’d suggest looking at Ali J, Kayal, Balogun, Suttner and probably Locadia.

We can't just decide who to sell - maybe nobody wants to buy any of them. If somebody wants Knocky for £15M that is at least worth thinking about - that's probably more than we'd get at the moment for the ones you want to get rid of as a job lot anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FWIW (nothing).
AK has had everything afforded to him by his manager, who seemingly knew him inside and out. Yet failed to become a consistent Premier League player, over 2 full season's.

But in that time I think he still showed considerably more than the 'Championship at best, drive him there myself' brigade will have us believe.

I think those that want him gone are cray-cray.
But
I do think £15m is even crazier.

So I guess that means I think the club should take the money, which has rather surprised me.
If only we were talking about £5m - £8m.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
As much as I love his best moments, he is a Championship player trying to have an extraordinay game in the PL in the hope of being an average PL player...and occassionally succeeding. It's not sustainable.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
AK will most likely thrive more under Potter. Think he should stay

Don’t think his short sharp passing and football brain are what Potter is looking for. His Championship USP was dancing around players at will, he can’t do that in the Premier League so maybe time to sell. £12m+ profit would be lovely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here