Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Save the Battle of Trafalgar

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Wonder how many people who sign the petition actually class themselves as proper regular customers though.

I only go there sometimes after home games. I signed the petition because it's exactly the kind of traditional pub that is being decimated. What's your point?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how do we know the future plan, is this info from them or based on other refurbs? my recollection is awkward layout, not sure it would work for a sports bar. i wonder if the community have enquired about buying the freehold?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
d798ca40d139f68d8102dcb7196252af_395.jpg

:bowdown:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Signed

Let’s ave some more Lager Lager Lager Lager Lager....

Sh*t

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wonder how many people who sign the petition actually class themselves as proper regular customers though.

I have never been in there as I drink in Newhaven or Lewes, but I've heard this pub is very popular with Albion fans.
Reading the opening post this sounds like a decent pub, and I hate sports bars.

I see there is also a thread running to " Save Fletching School ' im not a pupil there but I'm going to sign the petition. :)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Why change a winning formula, makes you wonder who makes these idiotic decisions.

I can tell you. Middle management who haven't done a day's f****** hard work in their life, have a degree in marketing or some b*****x like that
and, worst of all, believe that they understand what people want, when in fact it is the polar opposite. See it all the time - and they are the ones who
walk away at the end, blame someone else or move onto another more highly job to do the same ****.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Very strange decision this from Enterprise, The Battle is always pretty busy, even on week night evenings so surely cannot be losing money. It isn't a big enough site to make an effective Sports Bar, one big screen and you are done, maybe four booths with TVs on top of that. If you are to revamp it the only option is a Gastropub given the size of the site, but there is one of those right opposite already, and an absolute shit ton in the city anyway. Currently The Battle occupies a niche that is not matched by that many pubs (and an ever decreasing number) in the city centre. This is a hugely stupid business decision by Enterprise, but anyone who has worked under their yoke would know that is not particularly surprising.

I was thinking the same, main reason I don't go there is it's always rammed

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Signed. Plenty of places with telly nearby. The Battle has always been a decent traditional pub, is usually busy with people enjoying beer and food and chatter.
And yes, that should matter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t feel you need to; it’s the principle I’m against.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Only been the once as it was part of a FHM recommended pub crawl, I believe it was described as a classic.

Trying to remember the rest as there were at least 12 on the route.

Think 2nd pub was the Caxton arms (I think) opposite the old private shop.

Browns was on the list and was described as “full of young men in untucked Ralph Lauren shirts” (craw was in the early 2,000’s)

Font and Firkin

Mash Tun

William IV

Was a hazy but a great day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Not me. I've drunk in their twice in my life. Still signed though cos' the battle is as a proper old school Btn pub which does not need a 're-brand. It's up there with The Albert, a Brighton institution that does not need 'saving'.

What is your point anyway?

Jan 30, 2008
The Lord Nelson down the road has already been half-ruined by smartening it up and constant piped loud music. The fools - if they turn it into another Railway Bell then they'll get the same sort of clientele, i.e. dodgy
I've used the Bell for years, honest pub with honest punters ,there's been a few lively moments along the way
regards
DR

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A 'proper boozer'?

If that means a packet of nuts, a pint of Pride, smelly bogs and tired decor, then yeah.

Not sure about a sports bar but it certainly could do with a refurb.

Should be one of the most popular places in Brighton with that beer garden.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a paper petition behind the bar now, tho you might have to ask the landlady to produce it. Almost like she doesn't wish to impose, bless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here