Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Roy Orbison - One Of The Lonely Ones - BBC4 22:00 hrs Tonight

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks like a very good program about the great man on the ever impressive when showing music programs, BBC4.

Always thought Orbison was an amazing musician so should be very good.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It is very good. It's been shown before. He had some very tough things to face in his life and the image of him always leans to the tragic, but if this is the programme I'm thinking of (there have been a few on Roy), it really gets across that he actually had a really good sense of humour and was fun to be around. Given the reverence shown for music legends these days, I remember finding it jolting that someone like him was reduced to touring the British Working Men's Clubs in the seventies and turning up on 'The Wheeltappers and Shunters' club with a load of variety acts. He didn't seem phased though and just seemed to know that, wherever he found himself, he had to share that voice.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Had the pleasure of seeing him in Brighton in the 70s. Brilliant. If this show is the one that was on a couple of years ago it is well worth seeing. I will certainly be tuning in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is very good. It's been shown before. He had some very tough things to face in his life and the image of him always leans to the tragic, but if this is the programme I'm thinking of (there have been a few on Roy), it really gets across that he actually had a really good sense of humour and was fun to be around. Given the reverence shown for music legends these days, I remember finding it jolting that someone like him was reduced to touring the British Working Men's Clubs in the seventies and turning up on 'The Wheeltappers and Shunters' club with a load of variety acts. He didn't seem phased though and just seemed to know that, wherever he found himself, he had to share that voice.

I was shocked when I found out (ok, about 20 years ago, but I'm old) he was an albino. I bet not a lot of people don't know that.

Talking of stars prepared to put in a shift, I remember seeing Paul Rogers, rock god vocalist, accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, on Pebble Mill at One in around 1980, squeezed in between an infotainment about the dangers of North Sea Gas, and a heartwarming story about how a much-loved cat rescued a drowning child. Never mock a star for putting in a shift.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was shocked when I found out (ok, about 20 years ago, but I'm old) he was an albino.

I'm sorry to bring facts onto NSC again, but he wasn't. Like Elvis, he dyed his hair black, but from brown not from white. His eyes, behind the famous glasses, had no hint of the pink that is a trait of albinism. I think, like the belief that he was blind, it was a myth that developed to explain the nearly ever present glasses.

orbison.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sorry to bring facts onto NSC again, but he wasn't. Like Elvis, he dyed his hair black, but from brown not from white. His eyes, behind the famous glasses, had no hint of the pink that is a trait of albinism. I think, like the belief that he was blind, it was a myth that developed to explain the nearly ever present glasses.

View attachment 112834

I stand corrected. I know big fans who are convinced he is an albino......

Still, I'm not sure why you illustrated your point by uploading a photo of Max Bygraves. ???

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
If you like the big 'O' then if you haven't seen 'Black and White Nights' then please do. An amazing line up of artists who wanted to play along with him. One of my favourite all time music videos. Regarding the trade mark dark glasses - look at his early life photos without them, you will see the pronounced squint. All in all a wonderful singer songwriter who died far too young.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

View attachment 112834

You've fallen into that age old NSC trap of spoiling a perfectly good story with real facts. Real facts have no place on NSC. Fact.

:rolleyes::cheers:

HWT is beginning to make a bit of a habit of this as demonstrated by his quote from a couple of days ago from another thread. Perhaps it might be an idea to copy it and keep it on his clipboard for convenient repeated pasting..:wrong:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw a programme once about jeff lynne and his life in music as a producer and as front man of ELO and his time in The Travelling Wilbury's….. he told the story of how in the recording studio the band members would all do a vocal warmup before the session, some quite extensive.... Roy Orbison would just go to the mic and sing just two or three notes and then back off... Lynne would try and get him to do more being a perfectionist but Roy would just say " It's fine " … Lynne said when Roy's cue for vocals came he would always be stunned by the clarity, perfection and volume of Roy's voice which just appeared from nowhere.

A truly stunning voice and a really nice guy as well.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I stand corrected. I know big fans who are convinced he is an albino......

Still, I'm not sure why you illustrated your point by uploading a photo of Max Bygraves. ???

After Roy died, The Travelling Wilbury's reportedly considered replacing him with Del Shannon. Coincidently, the best man to go to for advice about how to respond to Max Bygraves breaking into song.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you like the big 'O' then if you haven't seen 'Black and White Nights' then please do. An amazing line up of artists who wanted to play along with him. One of my favourite all time music videos. Regarding the trade mark dark glasses - look at his early life photos without them, you will see the pronounced squint. All in all a wonderful singer songwriter who died far too young.

Black and White Night was ruined for me by Springsteen seeming to take every opportunity to grab a bit of the limelight. Roy singing, backed by Elvis's band, including James Burton, the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello and KD Laing all happy to take a backseat and just be involved. Yes Bruce everyone has come to see you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of the all time great voices with an absolutely amazing range. Some very dark and sad lyrics to some of his songs too, reflecting the tragedies in his life I guess. Love a bit of Roy, a true great imo.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Looks like a very good program about the great man on the ever impressive when showing music programs, BBC4.

Always thought Orbison was an amazing musician so should be very good.

Cheers for the heads up. Enjoyed watching that documentary and his stage performance with Bruce Springsteen and others afterwards.

He fitted an awful lot into his 52 years. A life full of personal tragedy. What an unassuming talent he had. A fantastic live performer.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It was a great watch last night, thanks for the heads up
Cant believe that he was performing in places like Batley Working Mens club and Colin Compton from The Comedians was the announcer.
Being a Bruce nut, i bought the Black And White concert on VHS video, still have it, was shocked that it was 1988, only seems like a few years age The Big O died.
Superb voice, and what a life story.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seen both programs before, but ended up watching them both again last night. Incredible talent from such a modest person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here