Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking fine advice

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Brilliant. Avoid paying for the car park if you're picking someone up from the station by stopping on the double-yellows right outside instead. It's not as if the double-yellows are there for a reason, after all
Wow, completely wrong. Like loads of people you wrongly think DYL mean no stopping.

This is exactly the mindset that I was trying to disabuse posters of!

DYL are there for several perfectly allowable 'stopping' reasons, including allowing disabled people to park for 3 hours, and for people picking up or dropping off passengers or unloading/loading.

Those are the 'reasons' why the Council put DYL there with no kerb blips, because they have decided to allow such exempt activity.

I agree, DYL are there for a reason and the above are those reasons!

It's just political correctness gone mad. You've got a car, so you're entitled to stop wherever you please without having to pay for it. And if a pedestrian gets run over while you're causing an obstruction, that's their problem, yes?
There is no obstruction. If the Council want to communicate 'no stopping', they will put DYL with kerb blips.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying and I knew some people would, as they believe misinformation about DYL. Some people actually think parents can;t stop on DYL to drop kids into school! Oh yes they can, it's allowed, it's not illegal nor an obstruction.

You need to understand your thoughts about DYL are plain wrong. As does this poster:
Have to agree. Seems it is all self self self. What suits me is fine irrespective of the inconvenience to others. This started as thread by someone who used a car park for 20 minutes and didn't think they had an obligation to pay!!!

What I don't understand is why is it illegal for councils to use ANPR technology? What is the reasoning for not allowing it.
Because it isn't fit for purpose, often misses cars leaving or returning twice in one day and thus issues PCNs unfairly, and falls into the sort of draconian enforcement that the Govt want to see removed.

TBH all this is explained in the Govt Briefing paper I linked earlier, if people want to read what the thought process is behind it.

What you should be asking, IMHO, is WHY ARE SCUMBAG PRIVATE FIRMS ALLOWED TO USE ANPR WHEN COUNCILS ARE (RIGHTLY) BANNED?!

Last edited:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I agree re NHS but it is a source of much needed revenue. If the government financed it fairly then we could get things back like free prescriptions, hospital parking etc etc.

All the money from ANPR fines at Hospitals goes to the PPC scum.

There is no revenue from fines that helps the NHS. It's a scam and there is so much misinformation floating around, and assumptions made, that people all think the NHS benefits. Nope. All they get is the tariff money a few pounds per person, maybe a couple of million per year whilst the fines line the pockets of the likes of ParkingEye by maybe (I am guesstimating) twenty times that sum per annum, per site.

Something is wrong somewhere when you realise that.

Also at retail parks, do you all know Tesco et al get nothing (or next to nothing) at all, while their parking scammers coin it in? There used to be a sign at Asda branches, misleading people 'all the profits ASDA retains from our parking enforcement go to charity'.

What Asda didn't explain was that they retained about 5% and the PPC scum kept all the rest, so paying a fine did not go to charity.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All the money from ANPR fines at Hospitals goes to the PPC scum.

There is no revenue from fines that helps the NHS. It's a scam and there is so much misinformation floating around, and assumptions made, that people all think the NHS benefits. Nope. All they get is the tariff money a few pounds per person, maybe a couple of million per year whilst the fines line the pockets of the likes of ParkingEye by maybe (I am guesstimating) twenty times that sum per annum, per site.

Something is wrong somewhere when you realise that.

Also at retail parks, do you all know Tesco et al get nothing (or next to nothing) at all, while their parking scammers coin it in? There used to be a sign at Asda branches, misleading people 'all the profits ASDA retains from our parking enforcement go to charity'.

What Asda didn't explain was that they retained about 5% and the PPC scum kept all the rest, so paying a fine did not go to charity.

I never suggested the NHS benefited from fines, but don't the NHS get money from those that park and pay the parking fee? Also, why shouldn't council car parks use ANPR to ensure those that park and pay do so for the correct amount of time?

This report suggests they earn quite a bit from parking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42503230

Why on earth would I think at a retail park where parking is free for a limited time that the likes of Tesco would get money. Surely the point of fining people is to stop people parking there who aren't using the retail park. It's in Tesco's etc interest that people that are going to use their shop can park.

If there are practices that are unethical by the car park companies then they need to be regulated but when people park where they shouldn't and are aware of that they should pay up or shut up.

Finally, with regard to ANPR then surely the answer is to use it in conjunction with normal video so even if someone was tailgating or speeding the video will show they left the car park.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
15086D59-8ADF-47E5-AF20-3CF5C4EF061B.jpeg

Attachments

• A2836C21-DED4-4B8E-A6D2-AF9810B7A6D7.jpeg
    A2836C21-DED4-4B8E-A6D2-AF9810B7A6D7.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 181

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wow, completely wrong. Like loads of people you wrongly think DYL mean no stopping.

This is exactly the mindset that I was trying to disabuse posters of!

DYL are there for several perfectly allowable 'stopping' reasons, including allowing disabled people to park for 3 hours, and for people picking up or dropping off passengers or unloading/loading.

Those are the 'reasons' why the Council put DYL there with no kerb blips, because they have decided to allow such exempt activity.

I agree, DYL are there for a reason and the above are those reasons!

There is no obstruction. If the Council want to communicate 'no stopping', they will put DYL with kerb blips.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying and I knew some people would, as they believe misinformation about DYL. Some people actually think parents can;t stop on DYL to drop kids into school! Oh yes they can, it's allowed, it's not illegal nor an obstruction.

Need to clarify though there there is no waiting on DYL so you can't stop to wait for you kid to come out of school!!

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Need to clarify though there there is no waiting on DYL so you can't stop to wait for you kid to come out of school!!

Wrong. Yawn.

Some of you really haven't a clue what DYL actually mean, and the reasons why a Council has put them there. Which includes a deliberate decision to ALLOW loading/unloading and 'assisted alighting/boarding' (i.e. taking a child into school).

So, yes you certainly can and the Council has allowed it by putting DYL there, or by a station, etc. Some of you really need to understand what DYL are for, as it stops people getting PCNs if they know where they can stop (on DYL for example).

Last edited:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
So, is Beach green Lancing council owned meaning my sons ticket is illegal and not enforceable by this company?
Yes.

But DE are a nasty firm and will press ahead anyway with threatening letters and might try to take him to court.

Send me a pm as I am about to do a complaint to Lancing Parish Council for the OP of this thread, and can let you have the same complaint to use.

Then you both need to up the ante to the Local Authorities Ombudsman and I'll give you the wording for that. Costs you nothing and potentially could get this stopped.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Yes.

But DE are a nasty firm and will press ahead anyway with threatening letters and might try to take him to court.

Send me a pm as I am about to do a complaint to Lancing Parish Council for the OP of this thread, and can let you have the same complaint to use.

Then you both need to up the ante to the Local Authorities Ombudsman and I'll give you the wording for that. Costs you nothing and potentially could get this stopped.

Lady seagull has been extremly helpful with my case so far. Its def worth giving her a pm

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Love this thread.
You guys have so much knowledge on this subject ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here