Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Aggers and Boycott are both *****. Fact.
    To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal...

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Facilities (and access to them) are one of the key issues arenít they ? My lad (normal secondary education) played in some representative and other matches, often held at public school grounds (locally Hurst College and Ardingly for example). The grounds are up there with some of the better league club facilities, but the local state secondaries donít even have cricket squares. Itís no surprise such a high % of players come through the independent school network as non-public school kids just donít have the same level of access to pitches, coaching etc. When I was a kid (70s) we had two good grass pitches at our comprehensive school, and several teachers who played and were happy to coach and supervise in their spare time - the school even arranged a relationship with Somerset CCC where one of the pros ran a session for us every week (either at the school, or the county nets which was about 20m away). Not sure many state schools commit much in the way of resource to cricket these days.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      I find the Aggers, Boycott "banter" extremely tiresome and at times I think the "all let's laugh at Geoffrey" close to bullying. I'm 75yo and for me the greatest sports pundit in any sport was Richie Benaud.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

However, if parents are willing to take their kid to a club and then invest the time (and money) in giving them a chance then the playing field is pretty level. From what I've seen.

Politics and nepotism still play a big part unfortunately. But nothing can beat practice, practice and practice. And that's possible for anyone, anywhere and without any school input.
      Yep, totally agree with this. Private school kids do have a head start but it's not the be-all and end-all. We have a few kids on the county pathway and only one is privately educated.
      Practice is the ke. Private schools may have the facilities but I also think the players have a different mindset, where they realise that some things have to be worked on.

I despair at the low turnout of our players who turn out for one in three practice sessions (if that). The kids who have made it have some natural talent but it's been honed by hours of net sessions. There's a general feeling that net sessions are boring and worth skipping but these players then wonder why they're out for a duck every time.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      I like George Dobell.

0 Not allowed!
      Fred Trueman was great in that he was the ultimate cricket dinosaur.

I remember going to Old Trafford for one of the blackwash tests in the 80s. The atmosphere was fabulous with trumpets, drums and some great banter. Half of Moss Side was at the game and they were just as keen to see Norman Cowans do well as Viv Richards.

During the lunch break a guy in the crowd turned his radio up full volume and all everyone could hear was Fred moaning about the noise the trumpet man was making. Suffice to say it just made every thing louder and noisier - especially as more and more beer was consumed.

Never happen now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Of the current crop.

Like: Rob Key, Nasser, Vic Marks, Sangakkara (and indeed most of the overseas guest commentators/analysts)

Don't mind: Aggers, Daggers and (shame there's no 'Shaggers') the BBC staffers

Don't care for: Boycs (insufferable bore), Beefy (ghastly bully), Nicholas & Gower (both smug public school t&ssers) and Tuffers (fake mockney)

0 Not allowed!
      Brian Johnston Richie Benaud, Blowers and Tuffers.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi

1 Not allowed!
      Love listening to Michael Holding and particularly enjoy listening to him and Atherton on the opening morning of a Test match. Combination /contrast of one of the world's best fast bowlers and a resolute opening bat ticks all the boxes for me.
      Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rail replacement bus service.

0 Not allowed!
      Dear old Henry Blofeld....legend of the airwaves.
      Turned up last weekend to commentate on the Piers Morgan charity game in Newick. Had a quick chat with him afterwards too - an honour to be in his presence.
      "We are not footballers....we are cyclists."