Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Favourite cricket pundit/anyliser

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Coney is great fun, mischievous and with a great turn of phrase, however TMS only usually sign up analysts/commentators from the country England currently play a series against..So, expect Jim Maxwell from August.

Yeah, I know. But they normally have guest commentators, so Jim Maxwell is safe, but it would be good to hear JC as one of the analysts. Ian Smith is another good call - must be something in the New Zealand water

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Geoffrey Boycott .

Vaughan also good

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
James Anderson has been great on TMS during the world cup
Paul Farbrace has been a breath of fresh air over the last month too.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Watching a weird stream of the game last night (from I think an Indian aimed, American based PPV Broadcaster) I really enjoyed Mel McLaughlin's commentary and Michael Clarke's analysis.

In the UK however, give me Aggers for the Tests and Bumble for everything else

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Everyone apart from Mark Nicholas and Sourav Ganguly

....and I don't particularly dislike either of them

quite enjoy Sangakarra, he knows his stuff.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Watching a weird stream of the game last night (from I think an Indian aimed, American based PPV Broadcaster) I really enjoyed Mel McLaughlin's commentary and Michael Clarke's analysis.

In the UK however, give me Aggers for the Tests and Bumble for everything else

I have rather gone off Aggers after his C word meltdown a few weeks back over the inclusion of Joffra.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sir Jimmy has been great.

Agnew is a worthy heir to the TMS treasures of old. Jim Maxwell, too.

Ed Smith is (was) a clever, insightful pundit. Enjoyed his input.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's always a treat when Aggers takes the mic, I quite like Charlie Dagnall too.

As for analysis, I think Vaughan sees the game the same way as I do, Shane Warne is also very sharp. I used to love Benaud and Tony Cozier used to give you a real feel of the Carribean.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I have rather gone off Aggers after his C word meltdown a few weeks back over the inclusion of Joffra.

Oh what a shame, missed that completely, haven't been able to listen/watch any UK coverage this year...

Having a quick google of it, I have got to say that it all makes him look pretty terrible. I sadly rescind my nomination.

Instead, I put forward the oft maligned Nasser, because who doesn't love a Shakespearean fool.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh what a shame, missed that completely, haven't been able to listen/watch any UK coverage this year...

Having a quick google of it, I have got to say that it all makes him look pretty terrible. I sadly rescind my nomination.

Instead, I put forward the oft maligned Nasser, because who doesn't love a Shakespearean fool.
I don't think those messages were in the public domain until the **** in question (Liew?) published them, and to be fair I'd probably call someone a **** if they accused me of racism.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I always thought Aggers was the chosen son of Johnners who was destined to be the next fatherly figure that TMS could coalesce around. I thought his Twitter meltdown absolutely shocking.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think those messages were in the public domain until the **** in question (Liew?) published them, and to be fair I'd probably call someone a **** if they accused me of racism.
I don't do Twatter myself but it's pretty obvious that it is a public platform, if it had been an email spat it would not have been in the public domain.

Barney Ronay writing in the Guardian said that he and others had been on the wrong end of some abuse from Aggers off and on over the years. Not good.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't do Twatter myself but it's pretty obvious that it is a public platform, if it had been an email spat it would not have been in the public domain.

Barney Ronay writing in the Guardian said that he and others had been on the wrong end of some abuse from Aggers off and on over the years. Not good.
You can send "private messages" on Twitter.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cricket has always had brilliant pundits and analysts, but it has never been as good as when Test Match Special had Brian Johnston, Trevor Bailey, Henry Blofeld, the Alderman Don Mosey and Vic Marks.

Of the current crop I like Nasser Hussain, Jeremy Coney is also a good call.

Possibly before your time? But the BBC TV team of the late 70’s and 80’s were also great ... Richie Benaud, Jim Laker, grumpy Fred Trueman and Peter West. I first got into cricket as a spectator sport, as a kid, by coming on across their test match coverages. Great memories of the era onwards from Randall, Gower, Emburey, Edmonds, Gooch.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You can send "private messages" on Twitter.

Ah, I see. As a non-Twatter I did not know that was possible. Mind you, still not a nice thing to do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tuffers all day long. He just makes me smile with his cheekiness!

You should read his autobiography, he's had a few " scrapes " over the years, been a bit of a bad boy but mostly shot himself in the foot. Overall, he's a good listen.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I don't think those messages were in the public domain until the **** in question (Liew?) published them.

I actually don't have much of an issue with the word, I think it's a fantasticly underused thing.

I do however have an issue when, from a quick search, it is clear to see that he cannot take public criticism for things which he has every right to be called out on. The reason he told Liew he'd see him next tuesday, was because of this (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-cricket-world-cup-squad-jofra-archer-a8887246.html) completely justifiable article pointing out that the cricketing world cannot have concerns over one player's eligibility but not another's. The difference of course being skin colour.

No one gave a damn when KP became eligible in 2005, he was a player who could clearly carry England to victory. Archer showed this potential and has now demonstrated it. It was right to call Agnew, and others, out on this. Agger's reaction is childish whether in the public or private domain (and I would argue that as it is a professional relationship between media and press it was hardly a private matter).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I don't agree. Aggers lost his shit in a private message to a self-righteous journalist who has completely miss-read the Archer situation for his own ends. Takes a lot to bother me but when I read that article I was annoyed.

I think C*** is a measured response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here