Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Favourite cricket pundit/anyliser

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For me Robert Key. You can include radio ones if you like. Key always has a nice balance on his summaries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jeremy Coney for me. He's got a great turn of phrase and a really dry sense of humour

I wish TMS would sign him up for the Ashes

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If we’re talking all time then I’d have to say Benaud but close run by Cozier when England were touring in the Caribbean.

I quite like the current mix on TMS of men, women and recent former players.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Trevor Bailey (except he has been dead for ages)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a new cricket fan (come on England!) I thought I'd 'reach out' to NSC to get some tips for watching the world cup final (free to view on Sky!).

First, the off side rule. Do all the attacking players have to stand in front of the wicket player, or is it silly mid off?

When is half time?

Flasks, fine or not?

When are the balls changed?

Just joshing. In seriousness, I shall be watching this for sure. Come on England!!!!

Iain Smiddy Smith. Many of the SH commentators are better, more likely to be there by merit and charm/wit than merely a conveyor belt of public school poshos

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Atherton often come across as a self righteous Grammar School prefect, a bit too serious.

Used to love Botham for his directness and honesty, but he’s since veered off quite angrily on several non-cricketing issues, becoming a bit of a dick.

Boycott, Willis and Hussain are very good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
TMS team are great, Aggers, Vic Marks and Tuffers in particular but also like Boycott’s directness.

On TV, love Bishop’s dulcet tones, plus Nicholas, Hussain and Key. Don’t like Willis much at all - droning monotone miserablist.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Cricket commentary boxes are rammed full of articulate, interesting men and women to add something unique to their take on the play and the issues which arise (and often cake and pigeons as well).

Football. Not so much

My favourites, mostly from TMS

I miss Blowers terribly. Made me feel like i'd gone back in time 100 years
Vaughan. Forthright and insightful. Clearly does his homework
Mark Nicholas. Has a certain gravitas
Tuffers. For when you need some irreverence
Aggers. Jolly good chap.

Most of the sky ones seem good as well, I just don't know them as well.

I quite enjoyed listening to Aggers sledge Cook (10,000+ runs) over his batting technique today.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Iain Smiddy Smith. Many of the SH commentators are better, more likely to be there by merit and charm/wit than merely a conveyor belt of public school poshos

Ian Smith is very good and enjoyable. I do miss Johners though- even after all these years.

I missed John Arlott by a year or two. I hear he was esteemed in the profession.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Jeremy Coney for me. He's got a great turn of phrase and a really dry sense of humour

I wish TMS would sign him up for the Ashes

Coney is great fun, mischievous and with a great turn of phrase, however TMS only usually sign up analysts/commentators from the country England currently play a series against..So, expect Jim Maxwell from August.

For me, I still like Boycott a lot as he genuinely knows the game inside out and also Vic Marks again for his huge knowledge and gentle wisdom. Those are the last two great summarisers/commentators left since the passing of the great Tony Cozier.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Atherton often come across as a self righteous Grammar School prefect, a bit too serious.

Used to love Botham for his directness and honesty, but he’s since veered off quite angrily on several non-cricketing issues, becoming a bit of a dick.

Boycott, Willis and Hussain are very good.

It's interesting what you say about Botham. I've never enjoyed his input. Hussain and Atherton know their stuff.

Sky has moved away a little from its school boy silliness in recent times.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
James Anderson has been great on TMS during the world cup

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cricket has always had brilliant pundits and analysts, but it has never been as good as when Test Match Special had Brian Johnston, Trevor Bailey, Henry Blofeld, the Alderman Don Mosey and Vic Marks.

Of the current crop I like Nasser Hussain, Jeremy Coney is also a good call.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here