Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Villa this season's Fulham or Wolves?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As playoff winners who have to sign a whole team I’d say more like Huddersfield with deeper pockets.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Somewhere in the middle - around 14th I think. Hopefully just behind us!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Good question. At the moment I'm very tempted to answer: "Doesn't matter as I doubt we're even up to Fulham's standards so they'll both finish above us." I have no solid reason of course to be so negative, it's just that we declined so much after Christmas and were so shit in those last few games that I'm really struggling to see three teams worse than us. Even Sheff Utd and Norwich (both in line perhaps to be the new Cardiff) I wouldn't say are 'worse' than us.

Sorry, still got a hangover from last season (I voted 4 in the 'Mojo' poll). Ignore me. I'm feeling unreasonably negative.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good question. At the moment I'm very tempted to answer: "Doesn't matter as I doubt we're even up to Fulham's standards so they'll both finish above us." I have no solid reason of course to be so negative, it's just that we declined so much after Christmas and were so shit in those last few games that I'm really struggling to see three teams worse than us. Even Sheff Utd and Norwich (both in line perhaps to be the new Cardiff) I wouldn't say are 'worse' than us.

Sorry, still got a hangover from last season (I voted 4 in the 'Mojo' poll). Ignore me. I'm feeling unreasonably negative.

It's perfectly justifiable, to be fair. We have been rubbish for the majority of the last year, but I'm choosing to think the players are perfectly good enough at this level and it was the coaching that was the problem. This season will tell us fairly soon, we have a favourable start, on paper.

I think Villa are making a few mistakes, Mings and Konsa for big money with almost no Premier League experience between them is a gamble. I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from either.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Mcginn and Grealish are very good and they’ve moved quickly for overpriced players they already know very well to replenish the squad. I think they will be fine and it’s just the scale of the fees that drive the Fulham comparisons.

el punal

Unreasonably negative? You’re not kidding! :D

We have a whole new management regime in, new direction, new tactics, new strategy. Meet the new boss, NOT, the same as the old boss. Just enjoy!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Neither. Won't be as bad as Fulham, won't be as good as Wolves.

They have a couple of decent players, but a lot of average ones. Wolves were in a very different boat last season, signing proven international players (and not Scottish ones).

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think they are anything like Fulham. Fulham broke up a squad that had a togetherness and unity about it. As Icy said it's more like Huddersfield who had a lot of loans in the Championship like Mooy that they signed.

Mings, Hause, El Ghazi were at the club on loan last season so those signings are just keeping the group together.

Wesley a bit of an Albion type of signing as in he's come from playing in Belgium with something to prove. A slightly bigger fee than we've generally paid.

I feel like the others are supplementing the squad rather than joining to go straight into the first team.

Konsa is young, was good at Charlton in League One and had a good year with Brentford. Decent young, hungry player to bring in.

Targett is relatively young with reasonable Prem experience, far from a journeyman.

Jota an interesting one as was brilliant at Brentford but didn't seem to go to well at Birmingham, fairly cheap gamble I guess.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Villa will not be this season's also ran. As others have said, they have spent a fair amount but not the same way Fulham did. I hope I'm wrong because I don't like them at all.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wolves will be on the brink of relegation for most of this season.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Wolves will be on the brink of relegation for most of this season.

Wolves?!?!

Villa have signed well so far, very few of them appear risks. Fulham spent over the odds on unknown quantities. Always a big risk.

Mings, Hause and Konza are all more than decent.

Jota could be a revelation if he finds his old form.

As others have said, Grealish and McGinn are excellent players.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I think it’s a really interesting situation. Dean Smith has zero Premier League experience (or Continental competition before someone throws GP out there as the same) but clearly Terry does.

The question is does Terry’s natural competitive side shine through and force them to go for the jugular and expose a potentially soft underbelly in games that will make them there for the taking or will he have learned from the stubbornness of Mourinho and close out tight games?

Personally I think they’ll struggle but not as much as Fulham so definitely a 17th competitor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
40/1 with B365 to go down

Ah now hang on a minute, I didn't say they would go down, seemingly there's quite a lot of competition for those places.
More that they'll noticeably struggle this season having believed their hype from last.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here