Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which Albion player do you think will surprise us most in the coming season?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Interesting thread - and some good thinking. It makes me think that we really did under-perform last year, in the sense that we got less than the sum of he parts from some very talented players. If Potter gets it half right, we could see a 20% improvement without adding any more new players to the squad (which I obviously hope we will).

To answer the question:

Ali J is a pure talent. We have to see more this season.
Propper could blossom.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For Suttner to be anywhere near the first XI Bernado and Bong would both have to be injured. He does have great delivery from crosses but he makes Marcos Painter look like an Olympic sprinter.

Bong should be third choice of the three of them, based on talent and actual ability. Not entirely sure where your last comment comes from, but it has absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever. Painter could barely run, there isn't a man or beast slower than him. I hope Suttner is given a fair chance in the friendlies, because he's a much better player than he's being given credit for. Bong only returned to the team because of how timid Hughton is, rather than due to a lack of quality from Suttner.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Bong should be third choice of the three of them, based on talent and actual ability. Not entirely sure where your last comment comes from, but it has absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever. Painter could barely run, there isn't a man or beast slower than him. I hope Suttner is given a fair chance in the friendlies, because he's a much better player than he's being given credit for. Bong only returned to the team because of how timid Hughton is, rather than due to a lack of quality from Suttner.

Suttner has the ability. He does not have the pace for the PL. That’s why we went out and bought another LB the season after we signed him. Clearly not up to standard. How you expect him to survive in a fast paced high press under Potter is laughable.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Suttner has the ability. He does not have the pace for the PL. That’s why we went out and bought another LB the season after we signed him. Clearly not up to standard. How you expect him to survive in a fast paced high press under Potter is laughable.

No, what's laughable is criticising someone quicker than Bong for being too slow. Bong is here because he was Hughton's mate who is good around the dressing room. Suttner is a victim of the old pals act, not much else so far as I am concerned. The defence wasn't as strong as Hughton wanted, so he did what he always did and reverted to a tried and tested Championship player. Now that he's gone, if Suttner still wants to be a success here, he's got a brilliant opportunity to stake his claim. Bernardo is very good and better than our other two left backs, he's the starter without question for me. But Suttner has far more to offer than Bong and his crossing ability from left back would be a real threat if used in the right tactics. Murray would have thrived on the deliveries that Hemed was too slow and/or not good enough to get on the end of.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
No, what's laughable is criticising someone quicker than Bong for being too slow. Bong is here because he was Hughton's mate who is good around the dressing room. Suttner is a victim of the old pals act, not much else so far as I am concerned. The defence wasn't as strong as Hughton wanted, so he did what he always did and reverted to a tried and tested Championship player. Now that he's gone, if Suttner still wants to be a success here, he's got a brilliant opportunity to stake his claim. Bernardo is very good and better than our other two left backs, he's the starter without question for me. But Suttner has far more to offer than Bong and his crossing ability from left back would be a real threat if used in the right tactics. Murray would have thrived on the deliveries that Hemed was too slow and/or not good enough to get on the end of.

But Bernardo will be playing...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Tudor Baluta.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I agree that Bernardo is our best left back by far. Might even be our best player. I also agree that Suttner whips in a wicked cross, not unlike Pocognoli. What I don't agree with is that Suttner is better than Bong. Bong is quicker, and stronger. He's actually a good PL defender. Just have a look at the number of players that have managed to get past him. His distribution is really poor, however, and that's been so clearly revealed in these past two seasons.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I feel Ali J will be similar to stockdale in terms of showing his class second season, could see it the first season but many thought he was crap.

I also think Propper and March (At left wing back) will have great seasons.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I would love for March to be a big surprise for the 'not good enough at this level' brigade. For me he is fearless, skilled and quick, not afraid to go through the middle and has a wicked shot. IMO, one of our best players last season.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I'm hoping Gipp is big enough for the first team. He's banged in thousands for the reserves and must be as tall as an adult by now. I have to confess I haven't watched the reserves since '89.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The same thing I saw in Spanish Dave. Admittedly, he got himself going much quicker than Ali J has done. But having a full pre-season will be a big benefit to Jahanbakhsh, everyone has a clean slate with a new manager and coaching staff. I'm sure we won't be seeing him marooned out on the left playing as an advanced left back, and that will be the key difference. Played from the right, or as a number 10, with plenty of players around him in attack, we'll see the best from him.

Another Spanish Dave?

I hope you are right.
He was a wonderful footballer.
The assists against Leicester where phenomanal.
Not to mention that freekick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here