Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion sign James Furlong

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope that when this gets announced by the club, it's greeted by tweets whining "Why can't they have a separate account for the development squad?"
Hopefully the announcement email won't be titled "You will not BELIEVE which leftback has just signed for the albion. Click to find out".

On 2nd thoughts it should be - then everyone will know the clickbait in advance for what it is...

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton have rejected a second bid from Polish side Legia Warsaw for defender James Furlong, sources have told Football Insider.

Legia are keen to sign the Irishman, 21, who is open to a move away from Brighton in search of regular first-team football.

Furlong is highly regarded at Brighton and signed a new deal at the Amex Stadium earlier this summer.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Brighton have rejected a second bid from Polish side Legia Warsaw for defender James Furlong, sources have told Football Insider.

Legia are keen to sign the Irishman, 21, who is open to a move away from Brighton in search of regular first-team football.

Furlong is highly regarded at Brighton and signed a new deal at the Amex Stadium earlier this summer.

Does James not know how contracts work?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does James not know how contracts work?
I think it’s more a case of poor reporting or the usual guesswork but that did make me chuckle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Presumably the new contract is designed to get us a better fee if/when we sell him on.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think it’s more a case of poor reporting or the usual guesswork but that did make me chuckle.
Maybe he means a loan somewhere - although he didn't set the world on fire in Scotland last season and he has barely registered with the Irish underage teams over the past four years.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
He had a really good loan.
Well - he was called into the Irish U21 squad in June (and at that point he was the third or fourth oldest in the squad). He came on as a sub against Ukraine after 84 mins to replace Sean Roughan - who is a year younger and plays for Lincoln. The other defenders selected ahead of him - James Abankwah (who played a couple of games for Udinese last season) - Bosun Lawal (who has played one cup game for Celtic) - and - Garcia McNulty (who played in the Dutch second division last season) - all of whom are younger than Furlong (two years younger in the case of Abankwah). The other defenders in the squad were Sean Grehan (two years younger) who is with the Palace U21s, Conor O'Riordan (two years younger) who is at Crewe in League 2 and Sam Curtis, a 17 year old kid who plays for St. Patrick's Athletic. He wasn't in the squad for the UEFA play-off - a squad that included two other LOI defenders. Now - while the Irish underage set-up has some good players coming through - but we don't have a huge number of players to select from and Furlong seems to be down the pecking order.

I am most definitely not knocking the kid - I really do hope he develops into a very good football player (Ireland needs all that it can get) - but in terms of Ireland he is either flying very much under the radar, or Jim Crawford doesn't rate him that highly. And for what it is worth - I think he would be making a mistake to go and play in Poland.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Frankly, in terms of career progression, Irish junior football is little more than a side-show. Much more significant is the respect he earned playing almost every minute for Motherwell in his successful haf season loan - his first experience of senior football. Motherwell fans would have him back in a heart beat.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Frankly, in terms of career progression, Irish junior football is little more than a side-show. Much more significant is the respect he earned playing almost every minute for Motherwell in his successful haf season loan - his first experience of senior football. Motherwell fans would have him back in a heart beat.
That may be the case - but take Celtic and Rangers out of Scotland and you have a league equivalent to what - bottom L1 or top L2 at best.

Case in point - Jamie McGrath - Irish international - was regarded as one of the best players in Scotland (outside the Old firm) when he played for St. Mirren. He then signed for Wigan in L1 - played 4 games and ended up going to Dundee Utd on loan. When he went back to Wigan a couple of months ago he was released.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Strange one this - bids rejected earlier in the window, not close to first team, nothing public about him moving on before Friday and new contract signed a few months ago. The guy seems to be in a state of limbo.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Strange one this - bids rejected earlier in the window, not close to first team, nothing public about him moving on before Friday and new contract signed a few months ago. The guy seems to be in a state of limbo.
Closer to first team that we might think? Or keeping him here until another Pervis back up is found...?

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I don’t think he has played for the U21’s either this season and was not involved in any friendlies. Strange one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here