Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Japan has quite the heavy drinking culture. It's OK to drink anywhere in public, it's not really frowned upon to be stupidly drunk in public (as long as you ain't causing others bother), there are plenty of cheap all-you-can-drink offers around and you can buy alcohol 24 hours too easily. I wasn't a big drinker until I came here 14 years ago, then I was out most nights of the week drinking heavily and often going straight from the bar/club to the office in the morning, where I kept a bottle of whiskey under the desk to top my coffee up with when I started getting a bit tired. They did even sell cans of beer in the drink machine at my office until a few years ago.

My wife, with the patience of a saint, put up with it mostly but would often tell me she's worried about my health. Eventually a few years ago, as the kids got a little bigger and started being more aware of my behaviour, I realised I had to change. I started by not drinking on Mondays, then added Tuesdays and Wednesdays but I usually go out for a drink n feed Thursdays although I've cut out the hard liquor (which has made a big difference) sticking to beer and wine and usually make sure I get home 12 or 1ish latest for some sleep. If I drink Thursday then I usually abstain Friday but I do drink Saturday and Sunday as we often spend the days together with friends and their families.

Overall, I still want to drink less but am much better now than I was. I will try reading some of the recommendations on here as I do usually find myself gummin for a beer by Wednesday but am able to resist. Thanks for the tips and I wish everyone else who's having a bit of a struggle all the best.

I had some of the drunkest nights out I can remember (or can't remember, more accurately) in Roppongi during a couple of work trips.......................one thing I do vividly recall is the sight of numerous salarymen absolutely, utterly shitfaced, staggering along the pavement, falling over, asleep in bars etc, and not that late. Maybe beer in the vending machines in the office contributed !

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've been drinking a couple of large glasses of whisky every night for nearly a week. I sleep well but have been waking up in an emotional wreck every morning. I'm not going to get hooked on booze. It's just to numb a tormenting period.

I'll be back to my normal self in time. Just want to unlock the floodgates in my eyes. 😭

I've stopped drinking as I felt I was starting to get into trouble with it.

It's also been over three months now since I gave up smoking and haven't been tempted to have even one again. Good people around me and getting the right support.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've been drinking a couple of large glasses of whisky every night for nearly a week. I sleep well but have been waking up in an emotional wreck every morning. I'm not going to get hooked on booze. It's just to numb a tormenting period.

I'll be back to my normal self in time. Just want to unlock the floodgates in my eyes. ��

I hate to say this, but I highly doubt you are sleeping "well". If you want to understand it a bit more, the Alcohol Experiment focuses on this quite a lot (and it's free info).

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I hate to say this, but I highly doubt you are sleeping "well". If you want to understand it a bit more, the Alcohol Experiment focuses on this quite a lot (and it's free info).

I'm sleeping better because I don't need to empty my bladder or have a dry throat in the mornings now. Throwing myself back into work has helped.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had some of the drunkest nights out I can remember (or can't remember, more accurately) in Roppongi during a couple of work trips.......................one thing I do vividly recall is the sight of numerous salarymen absolutely, utterly shitfaced, staggering along the pavement, falling over, asleep in bars etc, and not that late. Maybe beer in the vending machines in the office contributed !

From living over there the explanation is probably either 1) they were out with their boss who they have to match drink for drink (though they can tell him anything and it "doesn't count") or 2) they were one of many East Asians missing the ability to break down alcohol properly, resulting in almost instant shitfaced-ness. You can tell them as they go pink.

When I lived in Sydney (but on a Japanese project) we had a translator who invited our department to her flat for Japanese food that she was going to make for everyone. The only problem was she was very nervous so she had one vodka and coke - and promptly passed out. Her friend who had been helping set up the apartment, a lovely little South African bloke, had to try and make noodles and sushi while she dozed :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From living over there the explanation is probably either 1) they were out with their boss who they have to match drink for drink (though they can tell him anything and it "doesn't count") or 2) they were one of many East Asians missing the ability to break down alcohol properly, resulting in almost instant shitfaced-ness. You can tell them as they go pink.

When I lived in Sydney (but on a Japanese project) we had a translator who invited our department to her flat for Japanese food that she was going to make for everyone. The only problem was she was very nervous so she had one vodka and coke - and promptly passed out. Her friend who had been helping set up the apartment, a lovely little South African bloke, had to try and make noodles and sushi while she dozed :lolol:

Yep....seen a lot of evidence of no 2 - most recently our Singapore head having one large glass of wine early on a night out and then keeling over :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm on day 9 now. I decided to stop drinking nine days ago and have been drinking water instead. Tap water is hardly a thrilling substitute and it is taking some will power, especially as I have 4 San Miguel in the fridge and 4 more by the kitchen door but I am determined to do this. On the plus side, I have lost a bit of timber, feel alot more alert and I've saved a few quid too.

I hope you're still on track, whatever your own goal is.

Hang in there. It’s bloomin’ hard to do.

October 20th 2018 when I stopped. I’m fitter, lighter and healthier, and don’t miss wine o’clock moving closer and closer to midday, a little after a cider or two to help lunch, and somewhat before the tumbler of malt whisky for a nightcap.

You CAN do it. Just keep telling yourself.

Gave up getting on for 2 1/2 years ago. Beyond any shadow of a doubt the best thing I've done after 20 years of heavy drinking of varying degrees of extremity.

Day 11 now.
Had a bit of a wobble last night when I was sorely tempted to reach for a beer after a tough day but managed to resist by re-reading the posts from [MENTION=3488]withdeanwombat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] (above), so thanks for taking the time to post on the thread. The beers in the fridge and the ones by the back door have now been given away. I feel so much better this morning for not tripping up at the first hurdle.

Onwards to Day 111!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Day 11 now.
Had a bit of a wobble last night when I was sorely tempted to reach for a beer after a tough day but managed to resist by re-reading the posts from [MENTION=3488]withdeanwombat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] (above), so thanks for taking the time to post on the thread. The beers in the fridge and the ones by the back door have now been given away. I feel so much better this morning for not tripping up at the first hurdle.

Onwards to Day 111!

Really well done - it does get easier. PM me if you feel the need.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was the marketing lead for this. We did the entire piece. Looked into alternate funding routes and discussed with a lot of NHS addiction service leads, the MHRA and NHS England. There was no getting around the fact that the generic pharma houses would have jumped on board within 5 minutes.

We looked at altering the formulation to make it a different presentation but that wasn’t enough of a differentiator to change prescribers to a brand.

The ethical thing to do would have been for the Government to fund the development cycle and alert prescribers to the efficacy. That way the addicts would receive the treatment they need. The issue here is that there is a very healthy market in private hands (priory etc) that would lose millions if addiction to alcohol was managed chemically...their lobby would certainly object. Charities too really have no interest in a “cure”;for addiction. They need a reason to exist after all.

It’s sad. But it’s certainly true.

Also. There isn’t a mechanism in Government to influence this.

Would the EMA not be interested?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Day 11 now.

Onwards to Day 111!

This thread might be a good read for you too: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369323-Dry-January-and-beyond

Today is day 198 for me. I reckon it was around day 30-40 where I really felt that I'd lost the habit of drinking and I really do not ever consider it now, whether home (where I'd drink most nights) or out.

There's a mountain (lake) of booze at home, left over from the Christmas/New year period and it barely registers with me any more.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This thread might be a good read for you too: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369323-Dry-January-and-beyond

Today is day 198 for me. I reckon it was around day 30-40 where I really felt that I'd lost the habit of drinking and I really do not ever consider it now, whether home (where I'd drink most nights) or out.

There's a mountain (lake) of booze at home, left over from the Christmas/New year period and it barely registers with me any more.

Well done for giving up for as long as you have. Is this going to be permanent for you for now on ? I probably drink too much myself but I don't usually go near spirits and mostly stick to good beer rather than Stella etc, I usually always have 3-4 completely dry days a week and when I drink it is not a case of getting paralytic, more a case of " earning" a drink as it were.

I have never got in to drugs apart from some dope a few times many years back, never tried powders or pills, used to smoke but quit at 40 and I think a good beer or two now and again is my only vice. I'm not sure I would want to go totally dry on a permanent basis, so what drives you ?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

NSC prizes?

Poster of the day?
Tithead of the month?
Off season thread of the...err..off season?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not a big drinker so this doesn't really apply to me but it's been gratifying to see some of the posts here and how people are reacting to their concerns. I've lost two friends (one with two kids) to alcohol related disease in the past five years - both of them younger than I am - so I'm well aware of the misery booze can cause.

Great thread - NSC at its best.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Two weeks down, not touched a drop, feel amazing and done the gym for the last 7 days running, although after tonight's performance only lasted 45 minutes before I pressed the **** it button and went home, for a hot shower and a cup of tea and some cake. Still managed to have a laugh and all my mates will suffer tomorrow in differing capacities.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I've stopped drinking as I felt I was starting to get into trouble with it.

It's also been over three months now since I gave up smoking and haven't been tempted to have even one again. Good people around me and getting the right support.

Totally feel that pain, it became habit more than for a social exercise with me, the cycle of doom it's scientific name. Pavilions in Brighton have been amazing and i am not sure i could have done it, if it was not medicated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well done for giving up for as long as you have. Is this going to be permanent for you for now on ? I probably drink too much myself but I don't usually go near spirits and mostly stick to good beer rather than Stella etc, I usually always have 3-4 completely dry days a week and when I drink it is not a case of getting paralytic, more a case of " earning" a drink as it were.

I'll be back on it in less than a week when we're away on the family summer holiday (I resisted on two shorter holidays over the last six months). I'll have beaten 200 days by then, which is far longer than I ever expected to go, and I'll give myself one last test - not drinking on the plane (who doesn't like to drink on a plane?!?) and wait until the first or second day of the holiday.

I'm really interested to see what my tolerance level is like after so much time off.

My drinking will definitely be different from here on in though. You don't sound much different to me, although I was more like 1-2 days off a week, but some weeks no days off. Like you, I've never been into spirits - I simply don't like whisk(e)y, rum, brandy, vodka and the like - but I more than made up for it with cider, beer and wine.

I like being fresh in the morning (unless I go to bed too late and wake up feeling hungover through tiredness) and genuinely look forward to getting out on the Downs with the dog for a couple of hours early in the morning, and I'll not be able to manage that if I've been on it the night before.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
2.5 years now.
Some observations...
I still miss it.
Drinking non alcoholic beers at the weekend goes some way to giving that ‘reward’ buzz.
I’ve got used to going out with friends, not drinking and still being able to contribute to bants etc
Some friendships have gone away , without the booze
Replaced by friends more centred on the daytime/family etc
I absolutely intend to drink again - saying ‘never again’ is a daunting prospect, unless it’s for health reasons of course.
Im sure I am a better dad for not drinking
It has helped with moods, depression etc.
But not having the boozing outlet takes a lot of getting used to.
Bit disappointed I haven’t become more lean but I do eat a lot of bad food
Generally I don’t feel like I’ve lost that much by not drinking. That’s mainly due to my stage in life (married, young family etc) .
Anyway, I’m off to do an extended endurance fitness session in gym. Doubt I’d be able to do that if I’d been boozing

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'll be back on it in less than a week when we're away on the family summer holiday (I resisted on two shorter holidays over the last six months). I'll have beaten 200 days by then, which is far longer than I ever expected to go, and I'll give myself one last test - not drinking on the plane (who doesn't like to drink on a plane?!?) and wait until the first or second day of the holiday

That's probably the very wisest of decisions [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], you REALLY don't want to be testing your tolerance levels on a plane at 30,000 feet after a 200 day period of abstinence! :eek:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Bozza mate- have you thought about just not starting again? I'm still going on 'dry January' and life seems much simpler / better.

If you've felt much better not drinking I'm surprised you still feel motivated to start again, totally respect though that we have all got our own relationship with the booze and how it slots into our lives.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's probably the very wisest of decisions [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], you REALLY don't want to be testing your tolerance levels on a plane at 30,000 feet after a 200 day period of abstinence! :eek:

Good point, well made!

Bozza mate- have you thought about just not starting again? I'm still going on 'dry January' and life seems much simpler / better.

If you've felt much better not drinking I'm surprised you still feel motivated to start again, totally respect though that we have all got our own relationship with the booze and how it slots into our lives.

I'm going to one of my favouritest places with my favouritest people where there are lots of nice drinks I enjoy, and enjoy drinking with others.

I'll see how it goes. It may be that I have a few, get my first form of hangover again and then stop there and then. It might also be the case that I have some on holiday but come home and just stop again. I could quite see the latter happening, actually.

What I do know is that my relationship with alcohol has changed over the last six-and-a-bit months and I won't return to my prior ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here