Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This article suggests Brewdog, plus Thornbridge and Adnams are all brewing to 0.5 and are not extracting alcohol.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk...ight&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

There are other articles relating to brewing at 0.5% as well.

Why are you so sure you know what these brewers are doing?

Interesting and I stand corrected however within the article it states what is alcohol free.

A typical brewers beer (for the workers) used to be around 1.5% which they traditionally would have had 8 pint a day allowance, 1 pint a hour.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Still on dry January but looking forward to the weekend. I miss the wine with a meal and whisky in the evening.
Cannot say I have been desperate for a drink but just enjoy.

I have lost 7lbs in weight so that is nice but have not noticed any other benefits forecast such as better sleeps, better skin, or feeling more alert.

Might have another go for lent but not in the mood to abstain permanently. Cheers!

I drink wine most evenings and sleep fine. I try to take a break now and again and don't miss it apart from not being able to sleep.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I tried this de-alcoholised wine last weekend. You get the tannin taste but not the warmth that you get from a normal wine. I wouldn't recommend it.

859418_a_torres-natureo-red-859418.jpg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Looking for a nice accompaniment to some savoury snacks for a night in front of Netflix on Friday, I picked up a 4 pack of Brewdog Punk Alcohol Free IPA from the supermarket.

After 2 cans my wife pointed out that I had failed dry January because there was 0.5% alcohol content in the beer and checking the small print this was indeed the case..

Better move to Denmark and do Dry January there because then you'd be fine! as 0.5% drinks there are legally labelled "alcohol free".
As i've said earlier in the thread - labelling in the UK is confusing. I'm teetotal and drink the odd 0.5% beer from time to time. And fruit juices and other foods often contain similar traces of alcohol but don't themselves have to label their alcohol content.
I don't consider Brewdog's Nanny State or Brooklyn's Special Effects (both excellent , both 0.5%) as alcoholic drinks but yes in the UK - you can't call them "alcohol free". Anyway, assuming you don't have some specific health/religious reasons for abstaining, its ultimately your choice.
Any doctors on here ? What would you advise ?

See some articles here - there's a bit of "they would say that , wouldn't they" as they are mouthpieces for 0.5% brewers but gives you some context.
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk...lcohol-products-is-functionally-inappropriate
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk...nges-MP-to-drink-five-0.5-ABV-beers-and-drive

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Just 76 hours to go for all us Dry Janners, well done if you’re still in. Massive session at Howling Hops Hackney Wick on Saturday lunchtime.

Jul 7, 2003
Just 76 hours to go for all us Dry Janners, well done if you’re still in. Massive session at Howling Hops Hackney Wick on Saturday lunchtime.

The way things are going at the moment, the real test is if you can manage to watch the Albion without a drink.

I'm over five months dry now and really not missing it. Off to a work event next week with a free bar so you can bet I'll be caning that orange juice and lemonade, maybe with e cheeky ginger beer to finish.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The way things are going at the moment, the real test is if you can manage to watch the Albion without a drink.

I'm over five months dry now and really not missing it. Off to a work event next week with a free bar so you can bet I'll be caning that orange juice and lemonade, maybe with e cheeky ginger beer to finish.

Well done Sir/Ma’am. You must have saved a sheightload of cash, probably lost weight, and feel better for it, good effort.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Good stuff DCH. :clap2:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I’ve just had the end of January weigh-in. I lost 15 pounds in weight. All I did was Dry January, no fast food, and I ran 13 times in the month. Well chuffed with that.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Good luck to all who are going to carry on with dry but I am looking forward to a nice glass of wine with my evening meal on Saturday .

After 30 days, I have set my sights on lunch tomorrow for the first one. Midnight tonight is tempting, but I'll probably be asleep and couldn't be bothered to wait up!

Well done to all who have lasted the course and longer.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Well done to you Napier. Great effort. I’ll be downing some very exceptional craft beers at Howling Hops at Hackney Wick tomorrow. Probably get p1553d very easily on this sesh.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So how has it felt for those back on the hard stuff after 31 days of soda and lime? Any sore heads yet or just straight back into the saddle like you'd never been away?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m only on day 28. I’m currently sitting in a pub. Drowning in lime & soda.

I’m bloody tempted to have a proper drink, but I won’t.

dba8c0e31b101755d855c6bfed61e99d.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So how has it felt for those back on the hard stuff after 31 days of soda and lime? Any sore heads yet or just straight back into the saddle like you'd never been away?

Love it

The boredom is over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m bloody tempted to have a proper drink, but I won’t.

I'm anticipating my biggest test yet to come next Saturday. I've been seeing a women for a short while now and never even mentioned the fact that I don't drink. Plus the times we have met I have always been driving either that night or early the next day so it's not even figured. But next weekend she's coming here and so now I either join her in a few glasses of wine or I 'fess up to being a non-drinking oddity? Plus I wouldn't want her to feel uncomfortable drinking alone.

I never said I would never drink again, just not today. It's been 7 months and alot of the reason I wasn't drinking was because I was pretty unhappy with life and it seemed to me that drinking would just make that worse. So I stopped. But now I feel pretty happy again, so perhaps it's safe to fall off the wagon?

Still feel a bit conflicted as I genuinely enjoy not drinking now. Who knew? :shrug:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm anticipating my biggest test yet to come next Saturday. I've been seeing a women for a short while now and never even mentioned the fact that I don't drink. Plus the times we have met I have always been driving either that night or early the next day so it's not even figured. But next weekend she's coming here and so now I either join her in a few glasses of wine or I 'fess up to being a non-drinking oddity? Plus I wouldn't want her to feel uncomfortable drinking alone.

I never said I would never drink again, just not today. It's been 7 months and alot of the reason I wasn't drinking was because I was pretty unhappy with life and it seemed to me that drinking would just make that worse. So I stopped. But now I feel pretty happy again, so perhaps it's safe to fall off the wagon?

Still feel a bit conflicted as I genuinely enjoy not drinking now. Who knew? :shrug:

Well done for the 7 months. Decision to be made but a great position to be in.
I'm entering month 2 relatively easily and determined to get the hundred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here