Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still on the sauce. Lockdown has made it easier to take the 10 units a day up to 12. Can't see an end to it now my physical fitness stops me running, slows my cycling and makes me feel like the slope is downward and slippery. And the job has become a joke.

On the plus side. Mrs T is massively anti ciggies so I'm a homeopathic smoker now.

In a few months I reach the age my dad died of an MI. Perhaps passing that milestone may wobble my head. In the meantime it is all a bit too easy. Not explaining myself very well but I'm not too sure what's in my head to be honest.

Listening to this is inspirational, but it probably shouldn't be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCpnMLWLzw

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Still on the sauce. Lockdown has made it easier to take the 10 units a day up to 12. Can't see an end to it now my physical fitness stops me running, slows my cycling and makes me feel like the slope is downward and slippery. And the job has become a joke.

On the plus side. Mrs T is massively anti ciggies so I'm a homeopathic smoker now.

In a few months I reach the age my dad died of an MI. Perhaps passing that milestone may wobble my head. In the meantime it is all a bit too easy. Not explaining myself very well but I'm not too sure what's in my head to be honest.

All I can say Harry is what helped me. And that was just taking it one day at a time. I was always the world's worst for deciding like today wouldn't be a good time to cut back / quit because there was always something on the horizon that made today not a good day to comtemplate it. So forget the physical fitness or the job or the feeling that you're in so deep you may as well carry on. Just do a day. I promise you two things. One, it will be ****ing hard. But two, you'll be stupidly proud of yourself and prove that you can do it. Then you'll want to do the next day. When the weight starts coming off you'll wish you did it this time last year, but that's for another time.

Honestly, just try a day and take it one day at a time and forget all the things that make today not a good day to try it. Good luck HWT. It feels like losing an old friend but just for now it's worth it.

Finally mate, this isn't saying you'll never drink alcohol again. For want of a better phrase, for me it was just re-setting my relationship with alcohol so it was more on my terms. All I said to myself is, "I might have a beer tomorrow if I feel like one, but tonight I won't." That helped me deal with the sense of loss (I know how pathetic that makes me sound). By this method I happily went 7 months dry and damned proud of myself I was too and so much fitter. Then for reasons recounted elsewhere on this thread I had a massive blow out in the spring and did a couple of bottles of wine one night. But that was okay. So now, yes I have the odd drink and I enjoy it, but it is no longer part of my life. I haven't had a drink for a few days and I probably won't till the weekend. Then I may have the odd beer but I possibly won't. That suits me fine and I'm happy to have got to that point.

Sorry - long post.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All I can say Harry is what helped me. And that was just taking it one day at a time. I was always the world's worst for deciding like today wouldn't be a good time to cut back / quit because there was always something on the horizon that made today not a good day to comtemplate it. So forget the physical fitness or the job or the feeling that you're in so deep you may as well carry on. Just do a day. I promise you two things. One, it will be ****ing hard. But two, you'll be stupidly proud of yourself and prove that you can do it. Then you'll want to do the next day. When the weight starts coming off you'll wish you did it this time last year, but that's for another time.

Honestly, just try a day and take it one day at a time and forget all the things that make today not a good day to try it. Good luck HWT. It feels like losing an old friend but just for now it's worth it.

:lolol:

Not posted on this thread before....wasn't ready. Maybe I am now. :thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Totally agree with [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] - I stopped Jan 1 2019 and haven't drunk since (used The Alcohol Experiment, much discussed on NSC, to help me stop outright).

I haven't given up alcohol - and when mates say "are you teetotal?" I say "No. But I haven't had a drink today. I could do tomorrow if I wanted one". But I have now reached the point where I don't want one. I was in the pub last night, old me would have asked what was on the pumps, tried a new ale, etc. But it didn't occur to me to order a beer (I had a ginger beer as it happens). On Albion Away Days - where I thought it would be hardest to avoid the booze - my lovely mates were very supportive and it's just not a thing. Going, "not today" has worked for me so far. I don't trust myself to just have one - that would likely be the thin end of the wedge.

Happy to talk to anyone about this if they want a sounding board.

PS Mrs Couldn't Be Hyypia tells me that drinking was becoming a bit of an issue. Seems I was drinking more than I thought and it wasn't doing me any good.

PPS Biscuits and cakes however.......these have kicked in almost the day I stopped drinking and I'm struggling. Logic says I should be able to stop these too - but I just can't kick it. So not getting all those lovely weight loss benefits many talk about on here.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had 16 days off out of 18 and did not miss it. I will not stop though as I enjoy a good drink on a regular occasion

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Listening to this is inspirational, but it probably shouldn't be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCpnMLWLzw

Thoughts for you mate. Been there too. Don’t be so hard on yourself but, and I’m not saying this because it’s proper medical advice...or anything like it...if you want to stop straightaway and at least get a little bit of headspace then what I did will work. I guarantee it.

You need to get over to a decent online pharmacy...I used international pharmacies but there’s others...order some baclofen 10mg tablets and begin with an initial dose of 90+mg, you cannot overdose on this particular drug in anyway that will cause long term harm but a whopping dose is what’s needed dependant on your physiology.

This is actually a muscle relaxant but it has a well documented action in managing alcohol craving. It is a disassociative so feels weird but you will lose your cravings and get some kip. Maintain a high dose for about 5 days before slowly weaning, increase dose if you have a bad day you may find that you need to keep taking for quite a while before you can stop but (I promise) it will stop your cravings.

It is not licensed for this and never will be as it is a cheap generic but it works. It brought me back from the edge. It might help you too. It will definitely give you a feeling of control over your own destiny.

P.M me anytime fella. We haven’t always gotten along but I wish you all the very, very best.

Lush

Mods' Pet
My husband is a professional counsellor - including online counselling. He’s also an ex-alcoholic. If anyone would like to have a look at his website send me a pm (In confidence obv) and I’ll send you the link. (Hopefully this is ok [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] )

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Good evening, not been on for a while since starting the thread, having done the detox last year, completely fell off of the wagon. Feel it’s worse now than before, drinking anything and everything when available. Can’t seem to stop until it’s all gone, but still seem to function day to day. I gather it’s not a normal function, just mine. Time to get back off of the juice, but shit me it’s hard. Well done to all that have and have cut right back.

i am a heavy drinker ...i haven't had a drink since sunday , fed up of feeling like shit all the time and waking up at 3.a.m with my heart jumping out of my chest, you have to want to do it mate , it's no good for your health ....i've had 5 bottles tonight and will stop now.....i'm 54 , don't want to end up a jabbering wreck for my wife and kids to look after.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm 54 and i've just passed 2 years alcohol free. The first day and the second day were the hardest and its still hard but you gradually cope. I can sit through a football match with a cup of tea, a christmas, a holiday, and various trips to the pub until i no longer started to even think about it...
Good luck again to those new and old on this thread thinking about rethinking their relationship with alcohol. I never thought i could stop drinking. But i did.
Your friends (those that drink) will admire and respect you for it. (if you abstain for short or long periods of time or decide to moderate) .

They all want to , in my experience, do likewise.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
:lolol:

Not posted on this thread before....wasn't ready. Maybe I am now. :thumbsup:

Harry, sorry to hear you're getting nobbled by the demon drink. You always sounded above such earthly concerns but I guess we all have a tipping point. Even contemplating that you might have reached yours is a step in the right direction. For some of us there just comes a time when you have to put the bottle down and say farewell to hangovers, guilt, sweats, heightened anxiety, irregular bodily functions, social embarrassment, irritability, poor quality sleep, relationship damage, depression, listlessness, poor attention span, financial embarrassment, loss of appetite, regrets and self-loathing.

All the best from someone whjo knows you and cares.

PS Only downside of tackling the world with a clear head is that you have to tackle the world with a clear head.
But don't worry, the first 20 years sober are the worst. It's brill after that :cool:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My husband is a professional counsellor - including online counselling. He’s also an ex-alcoholic. If anyone would like to have a look at his website send me a pm (In confidence obv) and I’ll send you the link. (Hopefully this is ok [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] )

Absolutely, yes!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
:albion2:
Which is why it can be good to talk about the other stuff too. Because when you put down the drink, you can still be left with the problem.

On the flip side a sober mind and body certainly helps process things much easier, but I appreciate everyone’s different. 👍

I’m 148 days clean today, looking forward rather than wincing looking at my life in the rear view mirror.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
:albion2:

On the flip side a sober mind and body certainly helps process things much easier, but I appreciate everyone’s different. 👍

I’m 148 days clean today, looking forward rather than wincing looking at my life in the rear view mirror.

I think my dads passing probably did the collective livers of west Worthing, including yours, a favour mate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thoughts for you mate. Been there too. Don’t be so hard on yourself but, and I’m not saying this because it’s proper medical advice...or anything like it...if you want to stop straightaway and at least get a little bit of headspace then what I did will work. I guarantee it.

You need to get over to a decent online pharmacy...I used international pharmacies but there’s others...order some baclofen 10mg tablets and begin with an initial dose of 90+mg, you cannot overdose on this particular drug in anyway that will cause long term harm but a whopping dose is what’s needed dependant on your physiology.

This is actually a muscle relaxant but it has a well documented action in managing alcohol craving. It is a disassociative so feels weird but you will lose your cravings and get some kip. Maintain a high dose for about 5 days before slowly weaning, increase dose if you have a bad day you may find that you need to keep taking for quite a while before you can stop but (I promise) it will stop your cravings.

It is not licensed for this and never will be as it is a cheap generic but it works. It brought me back from the edge. It might help you too. It will definitely give you a feeling of control over your own destiny.

P.M me anytime fella. We haven’t always gotten along but I wish you all the very, very best.

Thanks for that. Very much appreciated. I'll look into it. Hepatic rebellion may well be the name of an 80s band but it's also something I need to make steps to avoid. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry, sorry to hear you're getting nobbled by the demon drink. You always sounded above such earthly concerns but I guess we all have a tipping point. Even contemplating that you might have reached yours is a step in the right direction. For some of us there just comes a time when you have to put the bottle down and say farewell to hangovers, guilt, sweats, heightened anxiety, irregular bodily functions, social embarrassment, irritability, poor quality sleep, relationship damage, depression, listlessness, poor attention span, financial embarrassment, loss of appetite, regrets and self-loathing.

All the best from someone whjo knows you and cares.

PS Only downside of tackling the world with a clear head is that you have to tackle the world with a clear head.
But don't worry, the first 20 years sober are the worst. It's brill after that :cool:

:lolol: Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Funnily enough I don't get any of that stuff - hangovers etc. But I'm titrating the intake to the very borders of it. And I don't have to get up at 6.15 to get the train for the time being, so I can push the boat out that bit further. Smart move is to do something before the wine drinks the man (to paraphrase Tanakasan in 'you only live twice').

Jul 7, 2003
I've thought of resurrecting this thread a few times over the last few weeks and having read HWT's post, I wish I had as it might have helped.

It will be a year since my last drink in 16 days time - the date is easy to remember as it is a couple of days before my birthday. I wasn't a big drinker but found I was drinking for the sake of it and had stopped enjoying booze. I'm very much in the same camp as [MENTION=29642]Couldn't Be Hyypia[/MENTION] in that I don't say I am teetotal but I'm just not drinking.

These days I don't give a second thought about alcohol when I am out and about. I've found that a lot of the pubs now have a wider range of soft drinks which helps and restaurants do mocktails which give variety to my non drinking as sometimes an iced water is just too boring!

Good luck to all those who are trying to abstain.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
These days I don't give a second thought about alcohol when I am out and about. I've found that a lot of the pubs now have a wider range of soft drinks which helps and restaurants do mocktails which give variety to my non drinking as sometimes an iced water is just too boring!

I've gone back to getting pissed pretty much every day now but I did find this a bit of a problem when I was trying to stop. End up drinking four pints of orange juice/aspartame and still feeling dodgy, just without the brief few hours of life being a bit less shit.

Fair play on your abstinence, superb.

Jul 7, 2003
I've gone back to getting pissed pretty much every day now but I did find this a bit of a problem when I was trying to stop. End up drinking four pints of orange juice/aspartame and still feeling dodgy, just without the brief few hours of life being a bit less shit.

I have a problem with aspartame as it goes through my bladder much worse than beer ever did. I try to be careful about diet drinks and avoid anything from the Coke family as that is all full of the stuff. It is one of the downsides of not drinking that you probably end up being more careful about what you are throwing down your neck.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I think the issue for lots of people is that their social being, is around others in pubs. Each agree (or happen) to meet regularly where upon they engage in the same routine. Don't totally appreciate the amount they are consuming but readily comment about the local pisshead who comes in on a less regular basis but gets ruined when ever they appear.

I used to find it interesting watching my customers in my pubs, the ones that point blankly refuse to believe they are ever drunk, the ones above everyone else as they drink responsibly only having their set limit, say 3 pints, while waiting for the production of their meal at home, where they will demolish a bottle of wine finished off with a stiff spirit equivalent of 10 measures, but that doesn't count as it's indoors.

Then you have the 8 pint a night crowd, they're the ones who realise their behaviour is damaging, drink wine for a while then slowly return to their old habit.

Myself, I've always enjoyed a drink, was a regular consumer but have always restricted my intake, not a daytime drinker and very much so when I ran pubs. Now working for a brewery I have to taste for a living but my daily consumption is about a 1/2 pint max. I rarely now drink socially, perhaps once or twice a month. I'm also on a carb free diet (were possible given I have to quality check) and managed to lose 5 stone in 6 months.

I actually appreciate a beer more now than ever before and take my time to saviour it and not chuck it down my throat.

Oh and I've reversed the affects of diabetes, bloods are great, BP normal and cholesterol of 2.4.

I've always thought if I want a drink that's ok, if I ever need a drink, I've got a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here