Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Day 49.

Roll on the half century tomorrow :)

I won't pretend that I haven't been sorely tempted at times over the past 50 days to have 'just the one' after a particularly trying day - and there have been plenty of those just recently.

I'm getting no support at home so thank goodness for NSC. I truly believe that without this thread I would have crumbled by now.

Odd where you find the support when you need it.

Keep going mate.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Day 49.

Roll on the half century tomorrow :)

I won't pretend that I haven't been sorely tempted at times over the past 50 days to have 'just the one' after a particularly trying day - and there have been plenty of those just recently.

I'm getting no support at home so thank goodness for NSC. I truly believe that without this thread I would have crumbled by now.

Odd where you find the support when you need it.

Happy Day 50 Mr Nylon, well done!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This is an inspirational thread. Thank you to everyone who has posted. After a grim year so far in every part of life I was aware I was drinking too much too often, the classic self medication through alcohol: buy a four pack after work, have a couple on the train, one walking back from the station, maybe via the pub, last one at home then a whisky or vodka nightcap after wine with dinner. Not every day but too many of them. I'm fairly sure that I drank something almost every day from May to August. Couldn't say for sure but possibly from March. So a couple of weeks ago set myself the day after an upcoming wedding I had to go to as when I'd stop.

So I'm on Day 9 today, found the first 6 days anxious, but now that's cleared. Not sure my sleep has improved but I've got a lot of other stresses so I'm not surprised, but I know I've spent far less and I'm sure there'll be other appreciable benefits soon. Yesterday was the toughest day, round a mates for a bbq where alcohol flowed freely and my abstinence wasn't viewed sympathetically, but then I didn't explain so maybe I'm partly responsible.

Don't know yet if I'm giving up for good, or if I'll be drinking again tomorrow, or if it'll be special occasions only, I haven't got a plan, but for the time being I'd like to get to a month if only to show myself I can get through some of the bigger challenges life sends us without having to numb my brain to do so, and I know that if I can do that I can do much more.

This is brilliant. Putting yourself into an August bank holiday barbecue, fair play for not buckling there! That sort of event is very risky (depending of course on your own expectations and goals) , especially with your mates probably with a fridge full!!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is an inspirational thread. Thank you to everyone who has posted. After a grim year so far in every part of life I was aware I was drinking too much too often, the classic self medication through alcohol: buy a four pack after work, have a couple on the train, one walking back from the station, maybe via the pub, last one at home then a whisky or vodka nightcap after wine with dinner. Not every day but too many of them. I'm fairly sure that I drank something almost every day from May to August. Couldn't say for sure but possibly from March. So a couple of weeks ago set myself the day after an upcoming wedding I had to go to as when I'd stop.

So I'm on Day 9 today, found the first 6 days anxious, but now that's cleared. Not sure my sleep has improved but I've got a lot of other stresses so I'm not surprised, but I know I've spent far less and I'm sure there'll be other appreciable benefits soon. Yesterday was the toughest day, round a mates for a bbq where alcohol flowed freely and my abstinence wasn't viewed sympathetically, but then I didn't explain so maybe I'm partly responsible.

Don't know yet if I'm giving up for good, or if I'll be drinking again tomorrow, or if it'll be special occasions only, I haven't got a plan, but for the time being I'd like to get to a month if only to show myself I can get through some of the bigger challenges life sends us without having to numb my brain to do so, and I know that if I can do that I can do much more.

How is it going, [MENTION=36757]Happy Exile[/MENTION]?

Hopefully you have found whatever balance works best for you. Day 75 here, which feels like another milestone.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
How is it going, [MENTION=36757]Happy Exile[/MENTION]?

Hopefully you have found whatever balance works best for you. Day 75 here, which feels like another milestone.

Thanks for checking in, that's really kind. Day 75 is incredible, well done! That's fantastic.

Day 33 here and the only way I can think to describe it is that I'm myself. For example, I've got my confidence back, and while I wouldn't have thought of myself as unconfident previously it's different now in a way that I can't articulate. More authentic maybe? Like my shields are down and I never realised they were even up before, yet I'm stronger and more confident for that.

I've had moments I've wanted a drink since, have caught myself, realised its habit and the anxiety will pass, and found something else to do but on the whole I don't have much inclination most of the time.

It's a great feeling and I hope to be as resilient as you and have this as the new me. There'll be challenges to come, my in-laws who I'll see at Christmas will push drink endlessly, make a big deal about me not drinking and miss the point, there's work events soon where drink is everywhere, but I'm feeling OK about that at the moment.

Congratulations again, you're an inspiration! :smile:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One of my friends I met this week drinks 40 pints plus 10 double whiskies a week. Around 120 units, has done for years and will carry on as he enjoys drinking. I think there is a balance to be had and total abstinance is a bit extreme but good luck to all the teetotalers

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Well I have broken, although not to the extent I thought I would, I was hoping I would stay drink free for a lot longer, but three months off of it has helped. I have had a couple of days when I have had a couple of beers, for no reason other than boredom? Actually forgot how Morretti gives the headache from hell. I stupidly stopped my accomprosate tablets which I am now taking again. I don't count it as failing, but will start the challenge again. Keep up the good work

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'm definitely alcohol dependent - over the past 8 years, have pretty much drunk at least 5 nights out of 7, now int he past three months, I cannot remember the last day I didn't drink. Usual amount is around 4-6 pints and then bed too late. Wife and I are going to do Sober for October to give something back, and then hopefully continue into November without. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared shitless, but I have to do this otherwise I'm drinking myself into an early grave. I'm starting tonight with a drink free evening, and then see about slowly coming off in the next 11 days before October begins. No way am I going cold turkey, its dangerous for the amount and length of alcohol I've been drinking. Thanks for being there NSC.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm definitely alcohol dependent - over the past 8 years, have pretty much drunk at least 5 nights out of 7, now int he past three months, I cannot remember the last day I didn't drink. Usual amount is around 4-6 pints and then bed too late. Wife and I are going to do Sober for October to give something back, and then hopefully continue into November without. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared shitless, but I have to do this otherwise I'm drinking myself into an early grave. I'm starting tonight with a drink free evening, and then see about slowly coming off in the next 11 days before October begins. No way am I going cold turkey, its dangerous for the amount and length of alcohol I've been drinking. Thanks for being there NSC.

Just go one day at a time and don't think about the next day till it arrives, then take that one day at a time. You'll surprise yourself.

Good luck mate.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thanks for checking in, that's really kind. Day 75 is incredible, well done! That's fantastic.

Day 33 here and the only way I can think to describe it is that I'm myself. For example, I've got my confidence back, and while I wouldn't have thought of myself as unconfident previously it's different now in a way that I can't articulate. More authentic maybe? Like my shields are down and I never realised they were even up before, yet I'm stronger and more confident for that.

I've had moments I've wanted a drink since, have caught myself, realised its habit and the anxiety will pass, and found something else to do but on the whole I don't have much inclination most of the time.

It's a great feeling and I hope to be as resilient as you and have this as the new me. There'll be challenges to come, my in-laws who I'll see at Christmas will push drink endlessly, make a big deal about me not drinking and miss the point, there's work events soon where drink is everywhere, but I'm feeling OK about that at the moment.

Congratulations again, you're an inspiration! :smile:

I have to say, I'm really pleased for you. I'm exactly the same, in that I find there are moments when I really feel like a drink - last night was one such occasion, which is why I went back to this thread, to keep myself on track. But similarly, I realise it is just a habit and I find something else to do instead and the moment soon passes. But most of the time now, I don't even think about it. At first I was frightened that I'd be 'missing' something, but now I realise that for the time being I don't miss it at all. In fact I'm far better off without it, it all sorts of ways.

Keep going.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

This original thread is probably worth a read for further stories and support: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369323-Dry-January-and-beyond

I went 205 days dry from January 2nd - July 25th this year before drinking every day whilst on a three-week holiday. That holiday vibe extended into when we returned home and I had a few drinks on a fair few days of the second-half of August.

I've decided to only drink when there is a good reason to do so, by that I mean a specific social event or celebration etc. In short, I won't sit at home and have a drink of an evening in the way I used to, and it sounds like you do too.

I was out with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] last Thursday and had a fair few and then some very good friends I'd not seen for a while visited on Friday so that was a few more. I didn't drink at the football on Saturday, but in the evening I had a couple of bottles of my favourite Aspall Premier Cru cider - it was Saturday evening and MotD was on etc.

Interestingly, on Sunday morning I reflected on those drinks and, in summary, I concluded that I hadn't particularly enjoyed them. They were OK, but nothing more than that. That has strengthened my resolve to keep to my "event only" drinking mantra. As of now I've NOT had a drink on 14 of September's 18 days and thinking about the rest of the month, I could see me possibly having a few on Saturday, depending on where I watch the Newcastle game and then some on the London day out for Chelsea. 24 dry days out of 30 feels reasonable enough but I might do Sober October just to ensure I'm back on track properly.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
This original thread is probably worth a read for further stories and support: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?369323-Dry-January-and-beyond

I went 205 days dry from January 2nd - July 25th this year before drinking every day whilst on a three-week holiday. That holiday vibe extended into when we returned home and I had a few drinks on a fair few days of the second-half of August.

I've decided to only drink when there is a good reason to do so, by that I mean a specific social event or celebration etc. In short, I won't sit at home and have a drink of an evening in the way I used to, and it sounds like you do too.

Interestingly I was out with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] last Thursday and had a fair few and then some very good friends I'd not seen for a while visited on Friday so that was a few more. I didn't drink at the football on Saturday, but in the evening I had a couple of bottles of my favourite Aspall Premier Cru cider - it was Saturday evening and MotD was on etc.

On Sunday morning I reflected on those drinks and, in summary, I concluded that I hadn't particularly enjoyed them. They were OK, but nothing more than that. That has strengthened my resolve to keep to my "event only" drinking mantra. As of now I've NOT had a drink on 14 of September's 18 days and thinking about the rest of the month, I could see me possibly having a few on Saturday, depending on where I watch the Newcastle game and then some on the London day out for Chelsea. 24 dry days out of 30 feels reasonable enough but I might do Sober October just to ensure I'm back on track properly.

Thanks Bozza - I'd ignored that thread for reasons I'm sure you'll understand if you are a heavy consistent drinker like me. But just finished the whole thread, and signed up for the Drink Less app. Whats astonishing is, that since Monday, I've actually consumed 32 units of alcohol already :??? Gonna take it a day at a time and see where it takes me.

Thanks all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks Bozza - I'd ignored that thread for reasons I'm sure you'll understand if you are a heavy consistent drinker like me. But just finished the whole thread, and signed up for the Drink Less app. Whats astonishing is, that since Monday, I've actually consumed 32 units of alcohol already :??? Gonna take it a day at a time and see where it takes me.

Thanks all.

It's easily done though, right?

I've just checked and a bottle of Aspall Premier Cru is 3.4 units. Three bottles a night on Mon, Tue and Wed and you'd be close to those 32 units without feeling like you'd "gone for it" on any one particular evening.

I imagine we are all different but for me it was very much habitual, and breaking that habit - using my own willpower - took 3-4 weeks. Once I'd reached that stage I really didn't think about having a drink from one night to the next. I didn't routinely use booze-free booze to prop me up because I didn't feel the need, but others do - so maybe consider that.

There were a couple of sunny evenings where, sitting outside, I did really fancy a beer so I popped to the offy and bought a couple of 0% options which did the trick.

Good luck!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am in awe of you guys. What I don't really understand with this thread is that most all like a drink at an event, football, bbq, holiday etc but deprive yourself of it. If you want a few beers or wines every now and again why not have them ? Why the martyrdom ? It is well known up to 35 units a week will not do you much harm. The 14 units is ridiculously low and that is why no one takes any notice of it. As I said fair play to you though

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am in awe of you guys. What I don't really understand with this thread is that most all like a drink at an event, football, bbq, holiday etc but deprive yourself of it. If you want a few beers or wines every now and again why not have them ? Why the martyrdom ? It is well known up to 35 units a week will not do you much harm. The 14 units is ridiculously low and that is why no one takes any notice of it. As I said fair play to you though

I can't speak for others but for me it was part of wanting to get rid of most/all of the weight I'd put on since developing a running injury and generally upping my health game a bit.

I recognised I was drinking too much and too often, and the Adrian Chiles documentary certainly resonated in part.

I'd set myself a target off losing three stone between January 2nd and July 24th and I hit it exactly. The zillions of empty calories I saved through not drinking was undoubtedly a massive help with that.

More importantly though, the period of abstinence kind of reset my relationship with alcohol and it's going to be a better one from now on.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

I'm not convinced I would stop. One thing that not drinking even for just this one month has shown me is how much I kidded myself I had control before. I had far less than I thought I did and I'm fairly sure if I had a pint now then I'd have three or four, and then tomorrow is Friday and I'm taking a client for lunch and if I've already broken my abstinence what's another few especially when he'll be drinking... Then it's the weekend and football and a family celebration... And I can always start abstaining again Monday...but then on Monday we've got a team meal in the evening...

For the time being at least I'm reprogramming myself with the single choice of not drinking. That might change in the future though if I think I can manage to shift to that mindset of "maybe a drink, maybe not" and be sensible about it.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

There's some great advice on this board. Take one day at a time (cheesy though it sounds I find the mantra of "today I am not going to drink" easier than planning a week at a time) and know that the difficult bits will pass however long it seems to be taking, and it will be worth it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There'll be challenges to come, my in-laws who I'll see at Christmas will push drink endlessly, make a big deal about me not drinking and miss the point
Is it worth telling trying to explain in advance (like now) that you realise you'd been drinking too much and you feel much better now that you've stopped (obviously in more detail than that, to make it hit home), and you hope to stay off alcohol over Christmas too, and would like their help?

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here