Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Would a Boris Johnson PM gives the Tories are wider appeal?

How would you vote if a Boris Johnson PM called a election?

• I’ll still vote Tory

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • I’ll still vote Brexit/UKIP

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • I’ll still vote Lab/Lib/other

Votes: 101 62.0%
  • Switching from Brexit/UKIP to Tory

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Switching from Lab/Lib/other to Tory

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Switching from Tory to Brexit/UKIP

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Switching from Tory to Lab/Lib/other

Votes: 20 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not sure if Johnson would have slept well knowing that he's due to be interviewed by Andrew Neil this evening. Surely the charlatan won't be allowed by Neil to bluff, bluster and bullsh&it his way through it?

I'd love to seem him well and truly skewered, lose his rag and storm out to face political oblivion. Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not sure if Johnson would have slept well knowing that he's due to be interviewed by Andrew Neil this evening. Surely the charlatan won't be allowed by Neil to bluff, bluster and bullsh&it his way through it?

I'd love to seem him well and truly skewered, lose his rag and storm out to face political oblivion. Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

If it was a GE he'd be worried. But its the Tory members, Boris is a bit of a cult figure and it doesn't really matter what he says. I predict another car crash performance but it won't matter, just evening entertainment for the plebs that have no say..

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If it was a GE he'd be worried. But its the Tory members, Boris is a bit of a cult figure and it doesn't really matter what he says. I predict another car crash performance but it won't matter, just evening entertainment for the plebs that have no say..

Only 1 letter away from being accurate.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bridlington, North Yorkshire, as blue Tory as they come. A recent poll

[tweet]1149456877509648389[/tweet]

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
How can anyone have faith in politics any more when the two main political parties are giving us a choice of Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn?

Both totally unelectable idiots, but one of them will be....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What you need is a half-and-half scarf...

:lolol:

No, no-one ever needs a half and half scarf!

But, it is a good point you make. People do "support" a party regardless of leader and policy, which makes a lot of the debates and appealing to the public rather unnecessary. I've never quite understood how someone can vote for Corbyn and Blair when their policies are/were so far apart, but they do it because it's red not blue. If that's how people vote anyway, then let's save us all the nonsense that goes around it. Most people don't even need to know the policies, just a picture of the leader, or maybe even just a big coloured circle on the voting paper. Red, Blue, Yellow or Green, and you put your cross against your favourite.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How can anyone have faith in politics any more when the two main political parties are giving us a choice of Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn?

Both totally unelectable idiots, but one of them will be....

Lib Dems all the way for me, not perfect and don't agree with them on everything. But sensible moderate policies instead of two parties hjacked by zealots

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him and those Tories who think he will unite the Country once he has done BREXIT are hopelessly misguided....... about the uniting bit, that is.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

If only.......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Theresa May has given her final interview with the BBC as Prime Minister … Theresa May speaks of 'pride and disappointment' Had a quick speed read through the article and it really is quite sad, she genuinely thinks she has done quite a good job including this little delusion... she said she had achieved an "enormous amount" in three years in the job.
But she was sorry having to leave when "there was more that I wanted to do". and.... But, despite having to go earlier than she wanted, she insisted she had been the "right person" for the job and was "immensely proud" of what she had accomplished...…. it gets better though..

She also hailed the progress made in tackling some of the "burning injustices" she highlighted in her first speech after becoming prime minister.
Mrs May said she was proud of "championing some causes that otherwise will be unfashionable", such as the fight against modern slavery and domestic violence and mental health support.
"Brexit has taken up a lot of people's thinking, but actually there's an enormous amount that has been done behind that."

So May leaves the country and most of it's people in a far worse state than when she took over and yet is still in denial, thank goodness she has that PM's pension to fund her end of life care unlike the majority of us.

She said she hoped her critics and supporters alike would feel that "in everything I've done, I've always done what I believed to be in the national interest".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48963537

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I think this is true for most of the electorate.

Both parties are now just a personality cult, only existing to serve the extreme views of their members and paymasters.

Extreme views? Really? ??? Like the extreme view that we should fund our schools and NHS properly? Like the extreme view that the mega wealthy shouldn’t be handed out tax cuts worth billions whilst the most vulnerable in society are using food banks? Yeah, that Corbyn’s a nutter.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Extreme views? Really? ??? Like the extreme view that we should fund our schools and NHS properly? Like the extreme view that the mega wealthy shouldn’t be handed out tax cuts worth billions whilst the most vulnerable in society are using food banks? Yeah, that Corbyn’s a nutter.

Yes I'm afraid Labour has become a personality cult even if I agree with many of it's policies.

It also some extreme viewed members who have oddly fused their concerns about Palestine with David Icke-like "new world order" conspiracy theories.

Well meaning lovely man but Corbyn is not leadership material. He can't even control his own party.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Yes I'm afraid Labour has become a personality cult even if I agree with many of it's policies.

It also some extreme viewed members who have oddly fused their concerns about Palestine with David Icke-like "new world order" conspiracy theories.

Well meaning lovely man but Corbyn is not leadership material. He can't even control his own party.

Whilst I have no qualms about criticising JC for legitimate reasons, I disagree with the notion of his followers belonging to a cult. Like it or not, the man has inspired a previously politically apathetic youth and has given the left someone to rally behind. The establishment were never going to accept him so have attacked him at every turn using smears, out of context quotes and half truths to undermine him because his views and policies challenge the status quo that has made them incredibly wealthy. Whenever someone points this out they get accused of belonging to the cult of Corbyn. Whether he has what it takes to be PM is another matter. Still, I’d rather Corbyn than that prat Boris.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
the man has inspired a previously politically apathetic youth and has given the left someone to rally behind.

He hasn't attracted anyone "previously politically apathetic". The influx of supporters to the Labour party are hugely political.

You are confusing having "nobody to vote to" with apathy. They are very very different things.

I have this argument all the time because I haven't voted in a general election since Major v Kinnock (*). I'm fully engaged but have always lived in "shoe in" constituencies. I really think hard who I vote for on the local council. Trying to think whether my vote makes a difference to the mix.

Back to Corbyn, anyone from a standing start can increase their vote by only appealing to their core vote.

The fact is that the vast majority of Labour members want to remain in Europe. As you saw in the European elections they have left him in droves and seemingly mostly didn't vote.

The paradox of Corbyn is that he turned thousands of engaged members who voted him in, er apathetic.

Nice bloke, nice politics, shit leader.

(*) I did vote in the election that led to the coalition. However my local constituency ****ed up my registration (I had recently moved) and I had to vote in my last one.

As I had always realised that Kate Hoey was actually a member of the ERG and could never bring myself to vote for her, I voted for something like the Cat Protection League. Not in protest, I really like cats and thought they needed a chance.

I ended up living opposite Danny Alexander. Very stressful that coalition based on the shit loads of booze he used to buy in Waitrose.

He painted his front door Lib Dem yellow and as neighbours we were on nodding terms. For some reason, him painting his door reminded me of fans who turn up to games in full kit.

Every time I said hello, I muttered under my breath "full kit lib dem wanker". He was also prone to getting on the train and giving it the large "yeah, yeah, I was talking to Cameron yesterday" on his mobile.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
After watching the May interview on the news and then the Andrew Neill interviews I am left wondering how this country has allowed it to get into this almighty mess.
Then you add the instigator of all this, Cameron and his Eton chums and it looks like it is going to get a hell of a lot worse when Johnson's fat arse hits No 10.
Interviewed today he was his usual hopeless, say anything moron who has already said he will make the more well off even more so only when pressed he said it's part of a package, NI will be lowered for the poor.
Someone needs to wipe this total idiot out, and quick.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
He hasn't attracted anyone "previously politically apathetic". The influx of supporters to the Labour party are hugely political.

You are confusing having "nobody to vote to" with apathy. They are very very different things.

I have this argument all the time because I haven't voted in a general election since Major v Kinnock (*). I'm fully engaged but have always lived in "shoe in" constituencies. I really think hard who I vote for on the local council. Trying to think whether my vote makes a difference to the mix.

Back to Corbyn, anyone from a standing start can increase their vote by only appealing to their core vote.

The fact is that the vast majority of Labour members want to remain in Europe. As you saw in the European elections they have left him in droves and seemingly mostly didn't vote.

The paradox of Corbyn is that he turned thousands of engaged members who voted him in, er apathetic.

Nice bloke, nice politics, shit leader.

(*) I did vote in the election that led to the coalition. However my local constituency ****ed up my registration (I had recently moved) and I had to vote in my last one.

As I had always realised that Kate Hoey was actually a member of the ERG and could never bring myself to vote for her, I voted for something like the Cat Protection League. Not in protest, I really like cats and thought they needed a chance.

I ended up living opposite Danny Alexander. Very stressful that coalition based on the shit loads of booze he used to buy in Waitrose.

He painted his front door Lib Dem yellow and as neighbours we were on nodding terms. For some reason, him painting his door reminded me of fans who turn up to games in full kit.

Every time I said hello, I muttered under my breath "full kit lib dem wanker". He was also prone to getting on the train and giving it the large "yeah, yeah, I was talking to Cameron yesterday" on his mobile.

Working with young people for the last decade I can tell you that a lot of young people were and still are totally politically apathetic. Corbyn has been able to mobilise the youth in a way I certainly haven’t seen a leader do in a long time.

As I say Corbyn certainly isn’t perfect but, in regards to Europe, Labour were always stuck between a rock and a hard place. Labour members, like most of the country, are split and Labour coming out one side or the other would mean a loss in support. It was, in my opinion, the wrong choice but I can understand why they did it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Working with young people for the last decade I can tell you that a lot of young people were and still are totally politically apathetic. Corbyn has been able to mobilise the youth in a way I certainly haven’t seen a leader do in a long time.

As I say Corbyn certainly isn’t perfect but, in regards to Europe, Labour were always stuck between a rock and a hard place. Labour members, like most of the country, are split and Labour coming out one side or the other would mean a loss in support. It was, in my opinion, the wrong choice but I can understand why they did it.

BBC had to swiftly cut coverage of 4000 boy scouts singing Oh Jeremy Corbyn this morning at a rally, can't have people seeing that on TV and thinking he is popular

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here