Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club Marketing emails concerning ladies team

Should the club continue the marketing strategy of clickbait, or describe news accurately?

• No, I love being trolled

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • Yes, the email subject should describe the enclosed news

Votes: 116 82.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Click bait is a method of producing revenue through links with exaggerated and or misleading wording/headline. Really isn’t difficult, the news is related to the club. It isn’t exaggerated or misleading, because they have quite literally signed a player for the club.

Click bait is a primary source of income for faux news sites like buzzfeed and similar.

'The club' means a completely different thing to most people. Why are some people so angry that some other people are disinterested in the women's team and emails? It is a strange world we live in. I just can't see why they are getting so worked up about it.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The U23 are also part of the club.

As I mentioned in a later post - we do get announcements for the under 23s, players that are as likely to make it to the first team as we are to see football become mixed gender and some of our women players join the men's first team, and yet we don't get these threads when that happens.

As are the staff in the club shop, the catering staff, the groundsmen, all the staff at the training ground etc. Do you expect an email from the club saying 'Brazilian signed' when we sign a cleaner from Brazil?

Expect? No. I don't have any expectation beyond the club announcing whatever new signings they want to. If they want to announce signing a new cleaner that's their prerogative. I'm not going to come on here and bitch and moan about them sending an email, with a subject line line that suggest something that turns out to be true when I open the email.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
That's your counter argument? Blimey.

'The club' means a completely different thing to most people. Why are some people so angry that some other people are disinterested in the women's team and emails? It is a strange world we live in. I just can't see why they are getting so worked up about it.

I dont think anyone angry about disinterest. Its the translation of lack of interest into anger that the womens team is treated in the same way on the news site that is difficult to understand. Its easy enough to check the detail behind the headline and then ignore it without getting angry. All the teams are part of BHA even if some dont want to accept it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I dont think anyone angry about disinterest. Its the translation of lack of interest into anger that the womens team is treated in the same way on the news site that is difficult to understand. Its easy enough to check the detail behind the headline and then ignore it without getting angry. All the teams are part of BHA even if some dont want to accept it.

Where is all this 'anger' you speak about? I've seen many reasonable comments regarding this issue over the last few weeks but few if any angry ones. It seems fair that many of us don't want to receive emails about a team we do not support. Whatever some may think, the women's team is not equal to the men's, pay, support, location of matches are just three examples of disparity. They are part of the club, yes no denying that, bit they, like the teams below senior have far less interest shown as do the under 23's and boys teams. I am marginally interested in the under 23's as it is possible one of them may break into the senior team. I have almost zero interest in the women's though like the boys teams.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I don't have any expectation beyond the club announcing whatever new signings they want to. If they want to announce signing a new cleaner that's their prerogative.

They'll probably be in a sweeper role.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin

"The club" in itself is literally "Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club" - the idea it means different things to anyone is immaterial. It isn't a case that people are 'so angry', I think people are baffled. Particularly about the simple fact this is literally a discussion about emails. Much emphasis on the last part.

This really isn't something that's being forced down people's throats like some are grossly exaggerating. If getting an email from the club is your primary news source, then google or this forum can help you find more news sources.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm missing out on this as I've already unsubscribed from all the club's emails.

I must admit I do have a sneaking, somewhat reactionary and probably misplaced, sympathy with those who have no real interest in any Albion news that doesn't directly concern the men's first team. It's a bit like opening a thread on here titled 'Albion sign new striker' to find the catering department have employed someone who once organised a dinnerladies' walkout at Dorothy Stringer school. Frustrating as it's not something I'm interested in, but hey, it's really not the end of the world.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've never unsubscribed, but I don't get any of these e-mails people talk about.
I only hear from the club regarding my ST, that's it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why can't the club put 'W' at the end of each email title if it is about women? Also, they could put 'F' if it is about foreign signings, 'B' for black and 'J' for jew. That way nobody will accidentally open an email and expose themselves to a possibly life-threatening conniption fit. Think of the poor orphaned children.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Coming soon to your inbox : "You'll never believe which striker the albion have just signed ! Just click here".

'The top 10 times the Albion thought Locadia and Ali J were going to come good. You won't BELIEVE #7'

'Remember Steve Foster? Fans were left OPEN-MOUTHED at what he looks like now'

Yep, I think you're on to something, BV :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yet another club communication with a new women's team signing. Constant trolling.

Have I missed a way to limit club communications to specifically what I want to hear about? If not, should the club offer an opt-out of news spam for Women's, or even U23 for those that just don't care...?

Just out of interest, what are you claiming is inaccurate about the news? All of the teams play for the same club – Brighton and Hove Albion – so if 'Albion sign striker' is the subject line, that's 100% correct.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but when a signing for the men's team is made, an email from the club is about the LAST place I'd expect to find out about it, so don't really see what the problem is. And that's before considering that I deal with hundreds of emails a day, most of which are of no use to me!

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Just out of interest, what are you claiming is inaccurate about the news? All of the teams play for the same club – Brighton and Hove Albion – so if 'Albion sign striker' is the subject line, that's 100% correct.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but when a signing for the men's team is made, an email from the club is about the LAST place I'd expect to find out about it, so don't really see what the problem is. And that's before considering that I deal with hundreds of emails a day, most of which are of no use to me!

Thanks for your reply.

It's what they don't say, I'll afford you an example. For instance, if the club sign a women's senior goalkeeper, for example, hypothetically they could produce a mailer with the subject title 'Albion women sign Goalkeeper'. As I'm sure you'll now be able to grasp, yes even you, there is a suggestion from a section of supporters that the club is deliberately, yes deliberately, announcing this news with the engineered spin it could perhaps concern the senior men's team.

Most people realise this is unlikely, it is of course trivial but keep up.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Tom Hark's suggestion of using the unsubscribe button and choosing not to have the women's team as a preference does not work. [emoji24]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Hark's suggestion of using the unsubscribe button and choosing not to have the women's team as a preference does not work. [emoji24]

Maybe it's a work in progress like that seriously strange Avail_U10 thing with the seemingly meaningless monetary amount on the preferences page. Seriously, does nobody think of testing this stuff before releasing it into the public domain? They'll be disappointed with that webpage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Maybe it's a work in progress like that seriously strange Avail_U10 thing with the seemingly meaningless monetary amount on the preferences page. Seriously, does nobody think of testing this stuff before releasing it into the public domain? They'll be disappointed with that webpage.

Indeed. Totally unprofessional. The club has shot itself in the foot as far as I'm concerned over the last year with barber's headmaster-like behaviour regarding such dangerous items as flasks and bottle tops. These kind of cock-ups don't help add to the impression. Other organisations manage to allow for subscription to particular interests, but this half-arsed 'choice' that doesn't even work is useless.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

It's what they don't say, I'll afford you an example. For instance, if the club sign a women's senior goalkeeper, for example, hypothetically they could produce a mailer with the subject title 'Albion women sign Goalkeeper'. As I'm sure you'll now be able to grasp, yes even you, there is a suggestion from a section of supporters that the club is deliberately, yes deliberately, announcing this news with the engineered spin it could perhaps concern the senior men's team.

Most people realise this is unlikely, it is of course trivial but keep up.
EVEN me? Thanks for that!

I was just questioning why it's inaccurate. Yes, clearly there could be more description in the subject line, but it's not inaccurate, is it? A player signs for the Albion, regardless of the team [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
EVEN me? Thanks for that!

I was just questioning why it's inaccurate. Yes, clearly there could be more description in the subject line, but it's not inaccurate, is it? A player signs for the Albion, regardless of the team [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Strictly speaking it's accurate. But not in spirit. It's inaccurate or misleading in that 30000 of us turn up to watch the Albion but maybe a couple of hundred turn up to watch the other Albion. Guess which Albion almost everyone thinks of when they read a headline saying 'Albion' sign new goalkeeper.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Strictly speaking it's accurate. But not in spirit. It's inaccurate or misleading in that 30000 of us turn up to watch the Albion but maybe a couple of hundred turn up to watch the other Albion. Guess which Albion almost everyone thinks of when they read a headline saying 'Albion' sign new goalkeeper.

Burton?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here