Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s not about having ‘an opportunity’ - 2 separate head coaches in top flight football haven’t deemed his quality to be enough to start a game so far. No one has a god given right for a chance, it must be earnt.

Potter was happy to start Maupay immediately, but not Undav, says a lot
Being a bit economical around context. Undav was coming in as a second striker,whereas Maupay was signed as a starter. (His competition was Andone, Locadia and an ageing Murray)

The fact that Maupay eventually lost his place, rather than maintain it is more telling I would suggest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The fact that Maupay eventually lost his place, rather than maintain it is more telling I would suggest.

Yes - and we look worse for it. Or seeing the same things Maupay was criticised for at least…. So perhaps he wasn’t the problem

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes - and we look worse for it. Or seeing the same things Maupay was criticised for at least…. So perhaps he wasn’t the problem
Do we? As per our earlier discussion, we weren’t saying that at the end of last season or the beginning of this.

I would give Undav a run, nice lay-off in the 8 mins he was on, no other opportunity. If he’s not up to it fair enough, but there are plenty of players who are poor trainers and good on match days…… Rush? Lineker?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Anyone who believes Maupay would accept being the second choice behind Welbeck is fooling themselves. He's not the kind of guy you put on the bench for a sustained amount of time.
It is part of a manager's job to manage a squad and have sufficient back up. It was nonsense to let Maupay go with no replacement. Welbeck has no goals this season and if you think that he should be starting each game now you are fooling yourself. Maupay has scored at least 8 goals a season. Welbeck shows no signs he is going to come even close to that this season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is part of a manager's job to manage a squad and have sufficient back up. It was nonsense to let Maupay go with no replacement. Welbeck has no goals this season and if you think that he should be starting each game now you are fooling yourself. Maupay has scored at least 8 goals a season. Welbeck shows no signs he is going to come even close to that this season.
Not really a part of the managers job, no.

Very few, if any, had any issues with Welbeck going into the season as the man up front.

Undav is Maupays replacement, but both Potter and RDZ seems to prefer Welbeck... mainly because he's done well despite the lack of goals.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really a part of the managers job, no.

Very few, if any, had any issues with Welbeck going into the season as the man up front.

Undav is Maupays replacement, but both Potter and RDZ seems to prefer Welbeck... mainly because he's done well despite the lack of goals.
Well I did for one…. They prefer Welbeck because he’s better than the rest. But that’s a pretty low benchmark

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My concern is the role of Trossard , in recent games he has been allowed to play very wide and has been much less effective , get him in and around the box and he (when he wants to) is a deadly striker. Putting Lallana up with Wellback was not what a home game against the bottom team needed. Also not sure if our shooting from range has been curtailed or it was just lack of opportunities.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
My concern is the role of Trossard , in recent games he has been allowed to play very wide and has been much less effective , get him in and around the box and he (when he wants to) is a deadly striker. Putting Lallana up with Wellback was not what a home game against the bottom team needed. Also not sure if our shooting from range has been curtailed or it was just lack of opportunities.
I'd love to see Trossard more central with Welbeck, and Mitoma playing the wide left role. I guess that means dropping Gross or Lallana though. And also bring Undav on earlier as the last 5-10 is pointless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here