Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a player/ striker he would be an improvement on what we have but would he be VFM taking into account wages and his injury record, I doubt it very much. He seems more of a Palace type signing to me.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's not that he isn't good enough, but he's a guy who has played for 2 of the biggest clubs in the country and will consider himself some way short of being over the hill. He'll be expecting a team of the standing of Everton/Villa/West Ham I should think. To come to a provincial club, he'll want big wages and would struggle for motivation once he was here.

Just looking at a player's standing alone is never a good idea.

I dont disagree.

My point being, Is Danny Welbeck good enough to play for Brighton Yes.

Can we afford him. Probably not.

Will he stay fit. Most certainly not.

What I have seen in other threads. Players like Welbeck and Giroud arent good enough and we would be made to even consider them. Which is utter tripe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Running alongside the Welbeck story is the one about Balotelli. Apparently, he's left Marseille, he's available on a free and he's been offered to West Ham. His agent is touting him at £70K per week. 41 goals in 73 matches in the French top flight indicate he's still got it, and he's interested in coming back to the Prem. That's going to tempt a few chairmen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I dont disagree.

My point being, Is Danny Welbeck good enough to play for Brighton Yes.

Can we afford him. Probably not.

Will he stay fit. Most certainly not.

What I have seen in other threads. Players like Welbeck and Giroud arent good enough and we would be made to even consider them. Which is utter tripe.

But nobody on this thread had said he wasn't good enough when you posted that, and since then only Megazone has - and he's a moron. :shrug:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Danny Welbeck, should we? . . .

Welbeck is a brilliant player, massively under rated. He would be a fantastic signing for us but as said already a number of times, it won’t happen due to wages.

As someone has already said, this has West Ham written all over it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
See Benteke, Christian ................. Bridge, Zamorra, Sidwell, Bruno, Vicente, Murray .................................

loan; back to his original club; consummate professional; consummate professional; briefly fun then fell out with the manager; never played for a big club

My feeling is that some players strive to be the best they can, get to the top, but if they don't make it there they lose the motivation on the way down.. so someone like Vicente was a massive success at the top, and playing for lesser clubs at the end of his career is just a bit of fun. But Palace signed Benteke hoping to get the Villa version, but instead got someone perhaps thinking he'd had his chance, it hadn't worked out and the motivation to be the best dropped away

Its a massive generalisation I know, with exceptions all over the place, but I'd prefer to fill the squad with players aspiring to be Liverpool or Arsenal players one day, rather than ones who've been there and fallen back.

Maybe Welbeck would be a star for us, who knows, a lot to prove - I tend to like rolling the dice and hoping we unearth the next Ronaldo

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
loan; back to his original club; consummate professional; consummate professional; briefly fun then fell out with the manager; never played for a big club.
But all coming towards the end of their careers, and all successful signings for us, like it or not.

Maybe Welbeck would be a star for us, who knows, a lot to prove - I tend to like rolling the dice and hoping we unearth the next Ronaldo
And we could roll the dice with Wellbeck and unearth our next Glenn Murray, which wouldn't be a bad outcome either!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Running alongside the Welbeck story is the one about Balotelli. Apparently, he's left Marseille, he's available on a free and he's been offered to West Ham. His agent is touting him at £70K per week. 41 goals in 73 matches in the French top flight indicate he's still got it, and he's interested in coming back to the Prem. That's going to tempt a few chairmen.
There has to be an exception to own 'no known players' rule...

...and I think you might have found it. :lol:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Welbeck is a brilliant player, massively under rated. He would be a fantastic signing for us but as said already a number of times, it won’t happen due to wages.

As someone has already said, this has West Ham written all over it.

No this is begging for a Villa signing

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
But nobody on this thread had said he wasn't good enough when you posted that, and since then only Megazone has - and he's a moron. :shrug:

This is from a previous thread at the end of the season slating free transfers Welbeck and Giroud both got slated. People posting on this thread were some who said it. If I could give a shit id try and find it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is from a previous thread at the end of the season slating free transfers Welbeck and Giroud both got slated. People posting on this thread were some who said it. If I could give a shit id try and find it.

I definitely would have said Giroud was shitehouse and a complete waste of money.

(Just in case you have a change of mind :lol: )

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we’re going down this road then I’ll see your Danny Wellbeck and raise you a Daniel Sturridge........

Well, if it’s absolute top class English Strikers who would struggle to be fit for more than half a dozen games on £3m+ per year, I’ll see your Daniel Sturridge and raise you an Andy Carroll!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Well, if it’s absolute top class English Strikers who would struggle to be fit for more than half a dozen games on £3m+ per year, I’ll see your Daniel Sturridge and raise you an Andy Carroll!

About £100m of English strikers available ‘free’ this summer. The mental thing is 3 clubs will end up blowing £10m+ each on signing these lottery winners.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here