Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The thing with him being on a FREE, means that we may factor that into his wage demands.

Sign a player for £15m, and pay him £50k a week for 4 years = £25.4m.
If Welbeck is available on a FREE, and wants £100k a week, for 4 years = £20.8m.

That would make him cheaper overall than a number of our recent signings.

.....and cause a potential ruck in the dressing room when all the other players realise he's paid twice as much as them and spends most of his time with the physio ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
His stats for Arsenal:

2014-15: P25 G4
2015-16: P11 G4
2016-17: P16 G2
2017-18: P28 G5
2018-19: P8 G1

Overall P88 G16

If we think he'll do any better than that at BHA, then I think we'd probably end up disappointed.
What he said. Let someone else pay to treat his injuries.

Really good player mind.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's having a decent go at being the new Mitrovic on this board.

And a nah from me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course we should. (If fit etc etc) Some people are so quick to dismiss any well known player on here for some strange reason.

I can't think of anything more boring than the Albion signing a player I've heard of.

Where's the fun in that?

ATM Len is the greatest winger/nos 10 the Albion have ever had.

It would be so disheartening if I already knew that was bollox before he's even kicked a ball.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Well the two things that he does have going for him, which can't be said of other Albion signings since the last ice age, (it seems that long anyway), is that there is no transfer fee to pay, (although admittedly wages may prove anothjer matter), and the not insignificant fact that the man actually has vast Premier League experience.

Leon Balogun and Jason Steele were free transfers last summer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course we should. (If fit etc etc) Some people are so quick to dismiss any well known player on here for some strange reason.

Given his record, he'd most likely play about 10-15 games a season, scoring 3-4 goals each time. You sure we should - given he'd probably be on very high wages also?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
.....and cause a potential ruck in the dressing room when all the other players realise he's paid twice as much as them and spends most of his time with the physio ?

That's what happens when you are available on a FREE, you get a much bigger salary out of it, just look at Ramseys contract at Juve. I'm sure players understand that is how it works, that's why they try to run their contracts down to being on a FREE themselves.

We have to decide. Are we going to compete on wages with teams higher up the division, or do we accept we are punching above our weight if we finish 15th?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
His stats for Arsenal:

2014-15: P25 G4
2015-16: P11 G4
2016-17: P16 G2
2017-18: P28 G5
2018-19: P8 G1

Overall P88 G16

If we think he'll do any better than that at BHA, then I think we'd probably end up disappointed.

Where he plays has to come into it. Surely we wouldn't be sticking him out on the wing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Played a lot of games there as either a sub or on the RW so that will have had a bearing on his goals to games ratio.

But the sub factor doesn't help, because it just reminds us he played even less minutes than the miniscule amount it appears!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's what happens when you are available on a FREE, you get a much bigger salary out of it, just look at Ramseys contract at Juve. I'm sure players understand that is how it works, that's why they try to run their contracts down to being on a FREE themselves.

We have to decide. Are we going to compete on wages with teams higher up the division, or do we accept we are punching above our weight if we finish 15th?

No need to SHOUT I know how it WORKS :)

Don't think it's in line with our wage policy though, is it..............(ie we seem to have decided not to compete - 'we're at our level', you could say)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Given his record, he'd most likely play about 10-15 games a season, scoring 3-4 goals each time. You sure we should - given he'd probably be on very high wages also?

If he can be the player he was then yes without doubt. But yes fitness is an issue. We won’t go for him anyway - not our way.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Welbeck on a £100k per game deal

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills