Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No need to SHOUT I know how it WORKS :)

Don't think it's in line with our wage policy though, is it..............(ie we seem to have decided not to compete - 'we're at our level', you could say)

:lol: Sorry, I literally have no idea what came over me. It's like a form or tourettes where I just had to shout the word FREE every time I said it.

I agree, that does seem to be what we are saying, and yet we've sacked a manager because we presumably don't think this is our level. The thought that we've moved Hughton out and Potter in purely because we want our Dev Squad to be introduced into our 1st Team is a little scary tbh.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It doesn't fit in at all with our transfer dealings since promotion. So I can't see it.

On that note - the same website (which looks shady to me) is claiming we have all but signed Ollie McBurnie?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where he plays has to come into it. Surely we wouldn't be sticking him out on the wing.

If fit he could possibly "do a job" down the middle - but its such a massive IF. He's not kicked a ball since November, when he had two operations to repair a broken ankle, so we don't know how well he'll have recovered from that. And coming from one of the Big 6, even though he's on a free, he'd be on such a monster wage it would still blow a big hole in our playing budget.

I'd also question how motivated he'd be, going from Man Utd, to Arsenal, to Brighton. Someone else mentioned Sturridge when he went on loan from Liverpool to WBA as their roll-of-the-dice to keep them up. He was an abject disaster, barely played or even looked interested, and this for me has all the hallmarks of being THAT kind of signing.

I just don't think he'd be a fit for us. Or fit.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Wages and fitness. If he could stay fit I would take him all day long, anyone suggesting otherwise is a little deluded that we can either do better or he isnt good enough.

Would definitely add to the squad. As has been said wages and fitness are a concern.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lol: Sorry, I literally have no idea what came over me. It's like a form or tourettes where I just had to shout the word FREE every time I said it.

I agree, that does seem to be what we are saying, and yet we've sacked a manager because we presumably don't think this is our level. The thought that we've moved Hughton out and Potter in purely because we want our Dev Squad to be introduced into our 1st Team is a little scary tbh.

LOL

Not the whole story but definitely seems to be one of the reasons...............feels a bit odd having literally no clue what we're going to look like come the first game, either in terms of personnel or tactics (2 or 3 kids starting ? New additions ? 2 or 3 CBs ? 2 up top ?) . Wouldn't say I'm missing the certainty of 9 at the back plus Murray watching from 60 yards away, but at least we knew what to expect every week.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, would take a place in the 25 man squad and no doubt be unavailable for most of the games, and for those where he is, he would only make the bench as not match fit.

We need to use the wage budget on players that are more likely to play

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If fit he could possibly "do a job" down the middle - but its such a massive IF. He's not kicked a ball since November, when he had two operations to repair a broken ankle, so we don't know how well he'll have recovered from that. And coming from one of the Big 6, even though he's on a free, he'd be on such a monster wage it would still blow a big hole in our playing budget.

I'd also question how motivated he'd be, going from Man Utd, to Arsenal, to Brighton. Someone else mentioned Sturridge when he went on loan from Liverpool to WBA as their roll-of-the-dice to keep them up. He was an abject disaster, barely played or even looked interested, and this for me has all the hallmarks of being THAT kind of signing.

I just don't think he'd be a fit for us. Or fit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting him up there as my no.1 must have, target for the summer.

This is filed in the "we should talk to him and find out what his demands are" drawer. If those demands are your "monster wage" then obviously, we go absolutely nowhere near him. Personally, I think he'd struggle to get a "monster wage" (by footballers standards anyway), but then again, the fact that he's on a free will help him.And what do I know, I'm still reeling by that Palace full back, who must be about Englands 4th choice at right back, going for £50m. Honestly, the market is beyond me these days.

In all likelihood he would command a wage beyond us, but I think it's worth an inquiry. If he rocked up at Leeds next season on a pay-per-play, we'd be kicking ourselves a bit.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He is SO West Ham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting him up there as my no.1 must have, target for the summer.

This is filed in the "we should talk to him and find out what his demands are" drawer. If those demands are your "monster wage" then obviously, we go absolutely nowhere near him. Personally, I think he'd struggle to get a "monster wage" (by footballers standards anyway), but then again, the fact that he's on a free will help him.And what do I know, I'm still reeling by that Palace full back, who must be about Englands 4th choice at right back, going for £50m. Honestly, the market is beyond me these days.

In all likelihood he would command a wage beyond us, but I think it's worth an inquiry. If he rocked up at Leeds next season on a pay-per-play, we'd be kicking ourselves a bit.

Can't see it - those deals are rarer than hens teeth these days. Maybe for a mid-30's broken up old carthorse seeing out the fag-end of his pro career before he signs for Thurrock, but Welbeck is 28. Him and his agent will not be putting him out to graze with a pay-as-you-play jobbie just yet.

Nope, this has West Ham written all over it. Them or Palace, being as we know Roy rates him. They're welcome to him, and feel free to bounce if my jaundiced view of Welbeck comes back to well and truly bite me on the arse next season. But I don't think it will...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it’s Welbeck rather than an unproven punt at this level then yes please.

We need a forward who can slot straight in and is not a gamble this time. If it has to be an injury prone one then so be it. He is quality when fit, who knows he could be the new Wayne Bridge if he has the appetite and takes a wage drop given the risk he is.

I imagine it would have to be an 11th hour transfer though as I’m sure he’ll hold out for a bigger club and higher wages than we will be paying.

Would the club get away with a big signing on fee and wages in line with our current top earners so as not to break the wage structure?

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Wellback is shite. The Prem version of Mark McCammon. Ugly to watch, won't score more than 7/8 goals a season, limited for surprise and can't carry the ball. He's one of those players who's sat on the bench his whole career. Just because it was at arsenal and United doesn't automatically mean he's a good quality Prem centre forward. Would take someone like Chris Wood or Barnes over him any day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wages and fitness. If he could stay fit I would take him all day long, anyone suggesting otherwise is a little deluded that we can either do better or he isnt good enough.

It's not that he isn't good enough, but he's a guy who has played for 2 of the biggest clubs in the country and will consider himself some way short of being over the hill. He'll be expecting a team of the standing of Everton/Villa/West Ham I should think. To come to a provincial club, he'll want big wages and would struggle for motivation once he was here.

Just looking at a player's standing alone is never a good idea.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just looking at a player's standing alone is never a good idea.

Certainly true of Zaha...

attachment.php

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No way, an injury prone journeymen, one for CPFC2010 though...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, but the reason people are saying no is that he can't stay fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here