Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But all coming towards the end of their careers, and all successful signings for us, like it or not.

Then I guess that's the difference - players who, if they were younger, would still be at bigger clubs, and are dropping down only because they are at the end of their career; compared to players like Benteke and Welbeck who should be at the prime of their career, but failed at bigger clubs, and are dropping down because they weren't good enough for the bigger club.

tbh I believe Welbeck will be an exception and will be a success, he was only at the big club in the first place because he was in their youth team and they kept him because he was a good pro.

But, a good pro would be a good thing. I'm warming to him. Others with bigger pockets will warm just as much I'm sure. He was in the World Cup squad just one short year ago and he will want to get back there.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Unfortunately these deals just don’t exist - they’re pretty much a commonly believed myth amongst fans :(

I recall reading in a recent biography, can't remember the player, but he definitely had a pay per game deal due to his history of injuries and unplanned absences from training

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I recall reading in a recent biography, can't remember the player, but he definitely had a pay per game deal due to his history of injuries and unplanned absences from training

I just think they must be very very very rare at the top level. With all the millions floating around in the prem it must be unheard of now surely. I get some will have higher appearance bonuses yet less of a basic if they’re a risk and injury prone but a straight ‘pay as you play’ deal just seems so unlikely.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I would take him in a heart beat, he was only injured when he went to Arsenal (like most players) and was always fit and healthy whilst as Man United and in the England squad.

If he was able to pass our medical I see no reason to not sign him, if the only argument against him is injury concerns.

Like others have said wages would be a concern but as a player he is quality and I would be over the moon if he came here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's now way West Ham would have languished in mid-table for the past few seasons if they'd had Jack Wilshere and Samir Nasri pulling the strings in midfield, Andy Carroll banging in the headers but as any football fan knows buying those players was an error - they were never going to play.

I'm forever blowing bubbles indeed - the thing about injury prone players is that they are injury prone. I expect the likes of Welbeck and Sturridge will be on the Hammers radar as the club just can't help themselves.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
VIlla now frontrunners for Welbeck, they are willing to match his Arsenal wages with a healthy signing on fee.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Debate on BBCsport website about where he should and "Lofty" from Brighton has suggested-
"Welbeck should come to Brighton.. Brighton are screaming out for a forward he would do the job."
So come on who's Lofty?
I think this is a no but would anyone consider him in any circumstances? Pay per play? One year contract for a set fee and thus no break of the wage structure.....Surely he's worth considering for say 3 million for the season?.......or does he break the no a...holes rule or whatever its called?....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Rumours he wants £100k a week basic and £5m signing on fee, which given his injury record is putting clubs like us off.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
£20k basic per week and £100k a goal.

thats generous in my book. . .he needs to prove himself fit for work , as similarly, does Carrol, or they may as well retire now.

reality says we'd be better off with Hemed and Murray.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Both in Östersund (Jamie Hopcutt) and Swansea (Courtney Baker-Richardson) Potter liked to have a pacy striker on the bench to be able to change the games and to have a counter threat if they were in the lead getting pushed back or similar. Welbeck fits the style, but feels like he is too expensive plus done sitting on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here