Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bruce to Newcastle rumour

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He has the crumpled pudding face of a disaster in the making, and i wouldn't so mind if that came about. Any weakening of our competition i generally favour.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What an opportunity for Bruce.

I think this is a decent appointment. Not flashy, but I reckon he'll keep them at arms length from the drop zone

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I think this is a decent appointment. Not flashy, but I reckon he'll keep them at arms length from the drop zone

Unfortunately I think you could be right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going against many here but I think Steve Bruce is generally a fairly decent top Championship/lower PL manager.

The problem Newcastle have is that their poor squad has performed way above where they had any right to be in the last two years because they somehow had a world-class manager. Going from a 10/10 manager for the bottom half of the PL to a 6/10 one will surely see them fall into contention for the drop.

Very well put. I asked myself the question 'how would we fare had we appointed Bruce instead of Potter?'. Despite groaning at such an appointment I would not expect us to be relegated. Thankfully we won't ever have to 'do the experiment'.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Going from a 10/10 manager for the bottom half of the PL to a 6/10 one will surely see them fall into contention for the drop.

And losing your two top scorers......and Man Utd trying to sign your best youth talent.....and AC Milan trying to pinch your (arguably) best remaining player (Schar)

Still, the guy with the 2nd worst win % of any premier league manager with over 300 games should help :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A lot is made of players who only move for the money but Steve Bruce has consistently shown he is the biggest mercenary in the game since moving into management. Sure he's ok at it, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near this club.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

He's average, generally makes teams hard to beat, but he's no Benitez. Last seasons final table massively flattered them. If they fail to strengthen and keep losing players I'll be amazed if he keeps that squad up.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
And losing your two top scorers......and Man Utd trying to sign your best youth talent.....and AC Milan trying to pinch your (arguably) best remaining player (Schar)

Still, the guy with the 2nd worst win % of any premier league manager with over 300 games should help :lolol:

Who's the worst? Pardew?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But looking purely at this decision, show me a manager in the country who wouldn’t leave Sheffield Wednesday for Newcastle.

I am not sure. Wednesday were very accommodating regarding Bruce's jaunt to the cricket and rather relaxed approach post-appointment. I was going to say CH - but maybe if Spurs came calling in the same circumstances he would have gone. Bruce has treated Wednesday badly though. I do hope it all goes tits-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here