Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Most obscure thing you've dumped at your local tip.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A fibreglass fully life-size model of Lara Croft that my uni house mate bought on eBay one night while pissed. Kept it for a few years after uni but when I moved in with the Mrs she made me get rid of it saying it was tacky. I wobbled but 10 years later we are still going strong so I guess I chose the right path!

Gave the bloke at the tip a hell of a fright when I opened the van door at the tip and Lara fell out!
I’m just amazed they let you in with a van. It’s worse than going through customs at our tip.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
a 30ft waterslide that a waterfeed and power to inflate , had it on ebay , tried to give it away and to Emmaus , said to guy at tip you sell it- he couldn't be bothered, so in the skip went £350 worth of kit -- only consulation- littlewoods wouldn't take it back cos it was too big to return and didn't charge us either as they couldn't return it !?
madness really- you couldn't make it up

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
After taking a load of old unwanted crap to our local tip on Sunday, it got me thinking of what obscure things you've taken your local dump.
You get certain types who ram the back of their car till nothing else fits, or you get others with the archetypal boot tidy who have meticulously placed all their sh!te tidily, so as to get rid of neatly.
Whilst we were dumping our load of old decorating stuff, there was a couple chucking a perfectly decent go-kart.
The mind boggles :mad:

Newhaven tip is quite good at taking decent stuff and then selling it on. All the garden waste goes to making compost which is then sold.

They have a special bin for electrical goods, such as tvs and laptops, which have been mentioned in this thread.
Lewes, as a council, have a good reputation for recycling.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I’m just amazed they let you in with a van. It’s worse than going through customs at our tip.

Some Councils allow you to apply for a ' trade ' pass and you get 10-12 ' free tips ' per year. Ideal if you want to have a real clear out. Hire or borrow a Luton or similar and really get dumping.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
a 30ft waterslide that a waterfeed and power to inflate , had it on ebay , tried to give it away and to Emmaus , said to guy at tip you sell it- he couldn't be bothered, so in the skip went £350 worth of kit -- only consulation- littlewoods wouldn't take it back cos it was too big to return and didn't charge us either as they couldn't return it !?
madness really- you couldn't make it up

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/BrightonUK/posts/all

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not a particularly strange thing but tried to get rid of our coffee pod machine the other day, as we couldn't justify the amount of plastic waste it creates (I know there are places that recycle the pods, but my understanding is that there is still wastage). Bloke asks if it still works. I say no, mindful that if someone else takes it and uses it, then I might as well still be using it myself. The bloke then says that I should still take it to the on-site shop, as they can have a look at it. I ended up having to break it before chucking it in the skip.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Is it me or are the staff going over the top compared to say 5 years ago.

Recently chucked out a tall standing light (mental frame, plastic light bulb housing, light shade material.

Thinking that they would be grateful I’d taken the bold decision to treat it as a majority metal item and proceeded to throw it unassisted into the “metal” container I was met with anger from a compo (last of the summer wine) lookalike who demanded I retrieve the item and remove the plastic bulb fitting and shade.

I refused to get in the skip and he advised I was going to be reported (to whom I’m not sure)

Anyway after some profanities muttered in my direction I told him I don’t even live around here so the jokes on him. Saw him that evening at my local uncle sams, oh how we laughed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Newhaven tip is quite good at taking decent stuff and then selling it on. All the garden waste goes to making compost which is then sold.

They have a special bin for electrical goods, such as tvs and laptops, which have been mentioned in this thread.
Lewes, as a council, have a good reputation for recycling.

Similarly you Hillingdon council, they're recycling and waste collection is better than most in London.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
A fibreglass fully life-size model of Lara Croft that my uni house mate bought on eBay one night while pissed. Kept it for a few years after uni but when I moved in with the Mrs she made me get rid of it saying it was tacky. I wobbled but 10 years later we are still going strong so I guess I chose the right path!

Gave the bloke at the tip a hell of a fright when I opened the van door at the tip and Lara fell out!

Which tip was it? Just asking for a friend.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
My girlfriend back in the early 90's. Had a major row about nothing in particular on a Sunday after dumping our garden refuse, then I just drove off and left her to get herself home.

That was along time ago having now been married for 25 years to my currnt wife, but it caused a few raised eybrows back in the day with some of my mates.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Haha, funny thing was that I wasn't meant to be using a van. The bloke when I pulled up said 'you need a license to tip with a van' but being a naive 22 year old I thought he was joking and just carried on and he didn't say anything further. Hertz never got in touch either so guess he couldn't be arsed to do the paperwork.

The Midlands has some benifits from the jobsworths in Mid Sussex!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
My girlfriend back in the early 90's. Had a major row about nothing in particular on a Sunday after dumping our garden refuse, then I just drove off and left her to get herself home.

That was along time ago having now been married for 25 years to my currnt wife, but it caused a few raised eybrows back in the day with some of my mates.

If you keep calling your wife a currnt you may not be married for much longer! :love:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One tip run I spotted that someone had left behind a gold-painted plastercast replica of the World Cup trophy, the same size, fairly solid but complete with green baize base.

Every 4 years it comes out of the shed and stands next to the telly for a month.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
One tip run I spotted that someone had left behind a gold-painted plastercast replica of the World Cup trophy, the same size, fairly solid but complete with green baize base.

Every 4 years it comes out of the shed and stands next to the telly for a month.

You could start a new thread with this.

Most obscure thing you've brought home from your local tip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here