Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why clubs shouldn't sell their best players - even in this crazy market

6 Not allowed!
    I've written another piece, something a bit different this time, relating to the ongoing discussion of Dunk to Leicester City. Transfer strategy, how clubs should look to improve and the state of the financial market all up for discussion. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.northstandchat.com/conte...s-crazy-market
    Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
    "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Good read that, well done!
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

0 Not allowed!
      Was with you until the team upgrade section where you left out Pröpper as a starting XI mainstay
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Not sure I agree with the basic premise. Other clubs notably Spurs have sold their best players and managed to replace them and strengthen their overall squad incrementally too. It's by no means fool proof of course!
      The key to any sale of Dunk would be if it was in the best interests of the club and any sale would allow us to make the first XI better. That would depend upon the recruitment team and Potter and their ability to replace him. I've no idea if that is the right move but for me I'd want around £50m for the player and even in this market I'm not sure we'd get quite that much.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barham's tash View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Was with you until the team upgrade section where you left out Pröpper as a starting XI mainstay
      I was tempted to leave him in, as I like him as a player and think he’s a very talented individual. However last year our midfield wasn’t strong enough and Groß is the only player who has consistently delivered attacking returns and given highly influential performances. Pröpper is certainly capable of playing in a top 10 outfit, but based on performances last season I felt that was an area that had to improve.
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seasidesage View Post
      Not sure I agree with the basic premise. Other clubs notably Spurs have sold their best players and managed to replace them and strengthen their overall squad incrementally too. It's by no means fool proof of course!
      The key to any sale of Dunk would be if it was in the best interests of the club and any sale would allow us to make the first XI better. That would depend upon the recruitment team and Potter and their ability to replace him. I've no idea if that is the right move but for me I'd want around £50m for the player and even in this market I'm not sure we'd get quite that much.
      Fair enough to disagree. The whole point of the article I suppose was to argue that given the risks of recruitment, as well as the fact that in the modern game money is plentiful, there is little benefit to the strategy of selling to buy. You cite Spurs, but the vast majority of the Bale money was wasted, and Spurs didn’t improve as a consequence of his sale. It has primarily been the bargain buy of Dele Alli, and Harry Kane coming through the ranks, that has helped the team moved forward, since the Bale spending spree Tottenham has notoriously spent very little, been frugal in the transfer market. Furthermore, the top six often operate primarily under this strategy, as they don’t feel the pressure to sell. They don’t see the need to lose out in a position where they have sufficient quality, as they have always had the means to continue spending to improve. My argument is that increasingly, teams outside the top six can also operate under a similar strategy, if they have the bravery to show ambition on the pitch.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I did raise an eyebrow at this line “Full-backs now regularly go for £50 million”

In the history of football there have only been five defenders who have cost £50m or more.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Putdown View Post
      I did raise an eyebrow at this line “Full-backs now regularly go for £50 million”

In the history of football there have only been five defenders who have cost £50m or more.
      When Man City signed Walker and Mendy (and Danilo!) it was unprecedented. Since then we’ve seen Wan-Bissaka, Ferland Mendy and Hernandez all go for £50 million +. A recent study from the CIES Football Observatory valued Robertson and Alexander-Arnold at £61.35 million and £85.84 million respectively, with various others also coming in at over £50 million. Was just trying to demonstrate how prices have steadily risen over time.

3 Not allowed!
      The ideal is to develop successors as opposed to buy replacements for star players. Matt Clarke should be the heir apparent if Dunk were to leave in 1 or 2 years time, soon as clubs sell their best players replacements prices instantly go up which makes sense. I think in many ways for a club like Brighton it is actually quite important to make big sales occasionally as potential players would see it as a stepping stone to top 6-8 club.

I would hate to see Dunk go and he seems happy and focused but if he felt he wanted to test himself at a bigger club and I would
      Include Leicester I would wish him every success. He has been brilliant and I wouldn’t deny him the opportunity to step up a level.

All teams need to keep their squads fresh, teams that do not evolve become complacent and predictable and offer younger players no opportunity to move into the first team. I can’t wait to see one of the U23 make it and that’s why Solly is one of my favourite players.
      Standing in the park, I was wondering why a frisbee looks larger the closer it gets...then it hit me
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Tactician View Post
      When Man City signed Walker and Mendy (and Danilo!) it was unprecedented. Since then we’ve seen Wan-Bissaka, Ferland Mendy and Hernandez all go for £50 million +. A recent study from the CIES Football Observatory valued Robertson and Alexander-Arnold at £61.35 million and £85.84 million respectively, with various others also coming in at over £50 million. Was just trying to demonstrate how prices have steadily risen over time.
      Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I understand what you are getting at but I’d still question that you could call that “regularly”.

A large chunk of NSC would also question the bits l’ve highlighted.