Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What are your guiding principles and values?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Have as much fun as I can without hurting anyone

Respect other points of view even if I don't always share them

Be mentally strong when things get tough

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Great thread.

I'm 48, but I've seen and done a lot - however I'm one of those half-wits who has to actually make a mistake and then learn from it...

So, here's what I've learnt - in no order whatsoever :

The loudest people are usually the most shy.

Your first instinct is the correct one. After that, your brain starts to bullshit you.

If someone is always slagging people off to you, they'll only be slagging you off to someone else...

You are the average of the four people you come into contact with the most. If any of those four people drag you down, you don't need them.

Don't be friends with people you don't like because 'you've been friends for ages'. If they're dicks, why be friends with them?

Before you do something for someone, ask yourself if they would do the same for you if they could.

Gender equality can be bullshit. Open a door for a lady, carry her bags, lift her case onto the shelf, give her your umbrella if it's raining. I've never once been called a sexist pig for doing this!

In the end it's harder to lie than it is to tell the truth. Be honest if you've screwed up, admit it, take the flak, then make it right and move on.

When you have an argument, sort it out on the spot and then move on. Stewing and sulking solves absolutely nothing.

Always speak to people with respect who deserve it. It doesn't matter if they sweep roads, clean toilets, or are top surgeons. You don't have to be wealthy or successful to be a good person. That said, if someone is a twunt - just be civil and try to ignore them.

Humans own dogs. Cats own humans. Stop feeding your cat and see if it still 'wuvvs you' after 2-3 days... It won't.

Try to spend your younger years learning a trade or a profession. You might earn less than your friends initially, but you'll thank yourself in later years.

Money itself does not make you happy - it just gives you more opportunities to be happy. You can be rich and miserable. You can be poor and happy.

Every adult is the product of his or her childhood. We spend our entire adult lives ironing out the creases of our experiences when growing up. Make sure your own children have the best childhood they can.

If you can take the piss out of yourself better than anyone else can, you will never be offended.

and finally....

Don't whistle whilst you're eating custard. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Be polite
Be fair
Think of others
Don’t take yourself seriously, but treat what you do seriously
Look after your family
Don’t be wasteful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I value kindness above every other attribute really, I try to be kind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great thread.

I'm 48, but I've seen and done a lot - however I'm one of those half-wits who has to actually make a mistake and then learn from it...

Your first instinct is the correct one. After that, your brain starts to bullshit you.

If someone is always slagging people off to you, they'll only be slagging you off to someone else...

You are the average of the four people you come into contact with the most. If any of those four people drag you down, you don't need them.

Don't be friends with people you don't like because 'you've been friends for ages'. If they're dicks, why be friends with them?

Before you do something for someone, ask yourself if they would do the same for you if they could.

Gender equality can be bullshit. Open a door for a lady, carry her bags, lift her case onto the shelf, give her your umbrella if it's raining. I've never once been called a sexist pig for doing this!

In the end it's harder to lie than it is to tell the truth. Be honest if you've screwed up, admit it, take the flak, then make it right and move on.

When you have an argument, sort it out on the spot and then move on. Stewing and sulking solves absolutely nothing.

Always speak to people with respect who deserve it. It doesn't matter if they sweep roads, clean toilets, or are top surgeons. You don't have to be wealthy or successful to be a good person. That said, if someone is a twunt - just be civil and try to ignore them.

Humans own dogs. Cats own humans. Stop feeding your cat and see if it still 'wuvvs you' after 2-3 days... It won't.

Try to spend your younger years learning a trade or a profession. You might earn less than your friends initially, but you'll thank yourself in later years.

Money itself does not make you happy - it just gives you more opportunities to be happy. You can be rich and miserable. You can be poor and happy.

Every adult is the product of his or her childhood. We spend our entire adult lives ironing out the creases of our experiences when growing up. Make sure your own children have the best childhood they can.

If you can take the piss out of yourself better than anyone else can, you will never be offended.

and finally....

Here is the only one with which I disagree: "Before you do something for someone, ask yourself if they would do the same for you if they could."

Just do what you feel is right. If you need to feel you'll get something back, or would if they could, read again 'A Christmas Carol'. :cheers:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Do not work any more than you need to. In my 20s and early 30s I climbed the ladder, took on responsibilities, worked at weekends, did over time. Load of bollocks. At 40 I shed all responsibility and work part time. Best move I ever made. All you really do with more money is blow it on 'things'.

Work less. Earn less. Spend what you do make on experiences and not possessions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Life's a bitch.

Then you marry one.

Then you die (if you are lucky).

As the ten year old down my street, fortunately no longer a neighbour, said to her mother when mother complained that the ferret had just bitten her:

"We, you should have been more f***ing careful!"

:lolol:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Find time for people who make you happy

Do things that make you happy

Distance yourself from people who drag you down

Smile a lot, it is the biggest barrier remover

Be courageous and Chase your dreams

Be kind

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Don't try and change people. Rich or poor, one in ten people you meet were, are and always will be a c*nt.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Don't take the piss.
Treat others how you would want to be treated.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Here is the only one with which I disagree: "Before you do something for someone, ask yourself if they would do the same for you if they could."

Just do what you feel is right.....

That's the trouble. Plenty of times I've spent hours of my time, or hours of my time and my hard earned money helping people out - and if the situation was reversed there's no way in hell they'd even think of doing the same for me. They'd just ignore my calls, pretend they were busy - or just say no.

I'm afraid that after many times of this happening I would not feel good about helping someone knowing the above would be the case. So, I choose who I help now. That makes me feel good. :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do unto others how they would do unto you.

Only do it first.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Great thread.

and finally....

And remember to always wear sunscreen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here