Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex batting coach Michael Yardy is to join New South Wales

Hope we can appoint someone sharpish to carry on his good work

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I fear for NSW if he's their batting coach.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Is this where we realise he's the best batting coach of a generation and it's just our players are crapper than we thought?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is this where we realise he's the best batting coach of a generation and it's just our players are crapper than we thought?

You may be right: I hadn't realised that he was the England Lions batting coach too - he's obviously highly thought of.

I wonder if this is a way back for Grizzly

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
You may be right: I hadn't realised that he was the England Lions batting coach too - he's obviously highly thought of.

I wonder if this is a way back for Grizzly

Blimey. is he? I didn't know that either.

I have, not totally without foundation I feel, been blaming our batting performances at least in part on the standard of the batting coaching. But perhaps I've been wrong, maybe Yardy is a great coach and as S'hampton points out maybe our batsmen really are shit. Perhaps we'll look back on our recent batting performances as some sort of Golden Age under the unappreciated genius that was Mike Yardy. That is a truly depressing thought.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Blimey. is he? I didn't know that either.

I have, not totally without foundation I feel, been blaming our batting performances at least in part on the standard of the batting coaching. But perhaps I've been wrong, maybe Yardy is a great coach and as S'hampton points out maybe our batsmen really are shit. Perhaps we'll look back on our recent batting performances as some sort of Golden Age under the unappreciated genius that was Mike Yardy. That is a truly depressing thought.

If that is the case we can soon add a wooden spoon (Div 2) to our other trophies.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Need to appointment Paul Daniels and Harry Houdini to get us out of this current mess.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Need to appointment Paul Daniels and Harry Houdini to get us out of this current mess.

More likely to get Uri Gellar. Least with him we could blame bending bats on our shite batting.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Might as well get Chris Martin in to replace him, this looks like your average Sussex batting performance

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sussex's loss. He moves on with best wishes and having benefited from working in an excellent coaching and performance environment at Hove. Sussex have an outstanding record in recent times of developing their coaches (cricket and sports science staff) and helping them move on in successful careers. Yardy is a great example having been supported through a BSc Sport Psychology degree and wider development as a coach. He is very good and likely to have a long career in professional cricket coaching. Good luck to him.

Off the top of my head Sussex staff career progressions of the recent era...

Peter Moores (ECB Men & Notts CCC Head Coach)
Mark Robinson (ECB Women Head Coach)
Mark Davis (supported through MBA - now at Harrow School which is a great job...)
Jon Lewis (ECB Bowling and Young Lions Head Coach)
Carl Hopkinson (ECB Fielding Coach)
Richard Halsall (ECB & Bangladesh Fielding Coach - back at Hove with an enhanced CV...)
Nick Lee (Sri Lanka Lead Strength & Conditioning Coach)
Kate Green (ECB Performance Lifestyle Lead - now with Arsenal FC)
David Young (ECB Lead Psychologist - joining Man City FC this season...)
Michael Yardy (ECB Young Lions Batting Coach & New South Wales)
Jason Swift (Joined SCCC as Performance Analyst - promoted to Assistant Head Coach under Gillespie)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What about Matt Prior does he have the coaching qualifications. I know that this is going down The Albion route of jobs for old players.
Matt Prior would be a popular choice and likely to do a very good job - but he is very busy and would probably be (too) expensive. Not impossible but unlikely.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex's loss. He moves on with best wishes and having benefited from working in an excellent coaching and performance environment at Hove. Sussex have an outstanding record in recent times of developing their coaches (cricket and sports science staff) and helping them move on in successful careers. Yardy is a great example having been supported through a BSc Sport Psychology degree and wider development as a coach. He is very good and likely to have a long career in professional cricket coaching. Good luck to him.

Off the top of my head Sussex staff career progressions of the recent era...

Peter Moores (ECB Men & Notts CCC Head Coach)
Mark Robinson (ECB Women Head Coach)
Mark Davis (supported through MBA - now at Harrow School which is a great job...)
Jon Lewis (ECB Bowling and Young Lions Head Coach)
Carl Hopkinson (ECB Fielding Coach)
Richard Halsall (ECB & Bangladesh Fielding Coach - back at Hove with an enhanced CV...)
Nick Lee (Sri Lanka Lead Strength & Conditioning Coach)
Kate Green (ECB Performance Lifestyle Lead - now with Arsenal FC)
David Young (ECB Lead Psychologist - joining Man City FC this season...)
Michael Yardy (ECB Young Lions Batting Coach & New South Wales)
Jason Swift (Joined SCCC as Performance Analyst - promoted to Assistant Head Coach under Gillespie)

Yes, it's a very good record. Sussex are doing something right behind the scenes. I wonder if James Kirtley will take more of a role in future, I know he's being doing some work with the fast bowlers

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes, it's a very good record. Sussex are doing something right behind the scenes. I wonder if James Kirtley will take more of a role in future, I know he's being doing some work with the fast bowlers
Yes, Kirtley is definitely in the fold and making progress in bowling roles with SCCC and ECB Disability squads. His further progress will, like all these people, depend on how good he can become at doing it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
An interesting postscript to the above is to also note the success that Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq have enjoyed as international consultant coaches.

No coincidence that they spent time under Moores and Robinson at Hove.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Going back a bit, don't forget that Les Lenham was a long time Sussex coach and then worked with the England team too. He worked overseas as well

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Although we are still in the promotion slots...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What about Matt Prior does he have the coaching qualifications. I know that this is going down The Albion route of jobs for old players.

It is folly to assume that a good player will naturally be a good coach.

Heard somewhere where this was rebuffed with "I didn't realise that to become a jockey, first I had to be a horse"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It is folly to assume that a good player will naturally be a good coach.

Heard somewhere where this was rebuffed with "I didn't realise that to become a jockey, first I had to be a horse"
Absolutely. cf. Chris Adams as Exhibit One.

Equal folly in my book though to dismiss out of hand someone with Matt Prior's credentials. Most "coaches" with their "badges" would struggle to know where to start with trying to significantly improve professional players.

It is no coincidence that 95% of top level technical coach appointments (batting, bowling, wicketkeeping, goalkeeping, scrummaging, etc, etc) are to former players. It isn't because Chief Executives and Head Coaches like their teams to underperform.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here