Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the slowest transfer window yet?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If my calculations are correct, there has only been a total of 37 transfers so far into Premier League teams and with the window closing on the 8th August this year, I find that a little surprising, with clubs getting near pre season preparations

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Must be all building to a manic few days in August.

Does seem very slow this year, but maybe the best and richest teams are getting close to having bought all the best players now, and if they are all hoovering up yet more young talent to be immediately loaned back out again, simply doesn't make the news.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Jim White is preparing himself right now for the transfer window to SMASH shut.

deadline-day-transfer-window-jim-white-kate-abdo_3259407.jpg

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
So much business is traditionally done late so no real surprise there. From our perspective, other than Trossard and Clarke, I wouldn't expect any incomings for at least a fortninght now to enable GP to get through the week in Austria and then have some time to assess whats he's seen and decide where to strenghen further based on his views.

Enjoy the tennis and err the netball and then come the last week of July expect a few more movements, in as well as out.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Must be all building to a manic few days in August.

Does seem very slow this year, but maybe the best and richest teams are getting close to having bought all the best players now, and if they are all hoovering up yet more young talent to be immediately loaned back out again, simply doesn't make the news.

Yes, I am beginning to have serious doubts about this practice - a sort of human trafficking where only the rich clubs can afford to buy and the poor clubs only able to rent. Reminds me of the housing market.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
So much business is traditionally done late so no real surprise there. From our perspective, other than Trossard and Clarke, I wouldn't expect any incomings for at least a fortninght now to enable GP to get through the week in Austria and then have some time to assess whats he's seen and decide where to strenghen further based on his views.

Enjoy the tennis and err the netball and then come the last week of July expect a few more movements, in as well as out.

In honesty don't you think he has watched DVDs, analysed games, etc and done his homework well before now? Bielsa the Leeds boss last year had watched and analysed hundreds of games before he even met his players to give him clear direction on what was needed...I doubt potter has left it until now to have a look at the players...that would put us miles behind the transfer process.

(I thought whole point of him appointed so early on was to enable the squad recruitment etc not to sit on hands until late July....)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
In honesty don't you think he has watched DVDs, analysed games, etc and done his homework well before now? Bielsa the Leeds boss last year had watched and analysed hundreds of games before he even met his players to give him clear direction on what was needed...I doubt potter has left it until now to have a look at the players...that would put us miles behind the transfer process.

(I thought whole point of him appointed so early on was to enable the squad recruitment etc not to sit on hands until late July....)

Someone talking some sense at last.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, I am beginning to have serious doubts about this practice - a sort of human trafficking where only the rich clubs can afford to buy and the poor clubs only able to rent. Reminds me of the housing market.

It just seems that more and more often, even when a really good players seems to emerge somewhere, it turns out he is already owned by one of the big clubs and has just flourished on loan. So no need for the big clubs to all circle and begin a bidding war, it's just a case of the parent club hanging on to them and not loaning them out the following season.

The authorities do need to look at this because it makes a mockery of transfer bans if clubs already have enough players in reserve to just bring them back from loan and refresh their 1st Team squad that way.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

But he will only have seen them playing a certain way until now. If he wants to change things then he may be able to utilise what he has or may decide he needs alternatives.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
At the moment I think selling Clubs are asking for ridiculous amounts of money from Prem Clubs, a few big transfers have skewed the market.
I mean £40m for Tarkowski or Dunk is obscene, both are worth around £25m at most but due to talk of Maguire leaving for £80m - 90m all other prices for defenders has gone up. Mings for £20m is just laughable.

Same for strikers, talk of £20m+ for McBurnie or Maupay. Both have had one good season in the Championship so no guarantee they'll cut it in the Prem.

It's getting harder and harder for the bottom half of the Prem to find value, so having to either wait till nearer the window closes to get any value or look abroad.

The last two weeks of the window could be VERY busy for a lot of clubs!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
At the moment I think selling Clubs are asking for ridiculous amounts of money from Prem Clubs, a few big transfers have skewed the market.
I mean £40m for Tarkowski or Dunk is obscene, both are worth around £25m at most but due to talk of Maguire leaving for £80m - 90m all other prices for defenders has gone up. Mings for £20m is just laughable.

Same for strikers, talk of £20m+ for McBurnie or Maupay. Both have had one good season in the Championship so no guarantee they'll cut it in the Prem.

It's getting harder and harder for the bottom half of the Prem to find value, so having to either wait till nearer the window closes to get any value or look abroad.

There is too much money and too little real talent so prices go up and up.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
But he will only have seen them playing a certain way until now. If he wants to change things then he may be able to utilise what he has or may decide he needs alternatives.

Yes I imagine he has ideas of potential change that he would like to try out and see if viable (say 3 at the back). However I expect actual change to end up as pretty limited, hopefully more effective though.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Pot will be looking to see how the 23s shape up when fully in the mix with their first team colleagues. Really hope Connolly lights a fire under all his striking counterparts

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Indeed. Last couple of weeks will be manic.

Not surprised there is little activity. Few agents will tell players to sign on the dotted line now unless they are sure they already have the best offer in the bag.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Slam.

SLAM.

The transfer window SLAMS shut.

Indeed. The transfer window SLAMS, the ball is SMASHED and Seagulls SWOOP. These are the only permitted adjectives in those sentences. I think there's a Law or something governing their use.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At least we only have 1-4 signings to make.

Always a little concerning though if a striker signing runs too close to deadline day - we might end up with a Vincent Janssen !

Although this year it would be better to avoid any last minute panic dross strikers - and stick with Connolly and Mlakar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here