Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paris trip

0 Not allowed!
    https://en.lavillette.com/hub/practical-info

Try this place, amazing Science Museum as well
    I surrender all control
    To the desire that consumes me whole
    Leads me by the hand to infinity
    Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanstalk View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If you want a traditional dining experience, you should really have a meal at a Bouillon Brasserie!

I've always been a fan of Chartier - https://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/ - Great food, unbelievably cheap (still only 1 Euro for Soup of the Day), and a beautiful belle epoch setting. You do have to queue to get in as there are no reservations but it is absolutely worth the wait.
      I was going to post this, it is a must for me. The queues on Friday and Saturday nights are big but do keep moving. I went on a Sunday night, small queue and little wait. Be prepared to sit with strangers so they can fill tables. It is well worth it.

Although touristy, the hop on and off buses are worth it, you get to see everything and not overdo the walking.

0 Not allowed!
      For food I was recommended this place by @Goldstone1976

https://www.aspic-restaurant.fr/

It was lovely on every level and, imho, exceptional value for the standard it is.

The bar area of this place is nice http://www.la-mascotte-montmartre.com/en/ . Lovely location as well. We drank wine and ate shell fish in the bar. We also ate in the restaurant on another night and whilst basic, but good, it was very over priced.

We also stumbled across this place http://www.cavesbourdin.fr/?age-verified=96ad66f315. It’s a shop which also serves wine by the glass and simple dishes of cheese and charcuterie. If there’s no room out front there’s some tables at the back.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uh_huh_him View Post
      Sacre Coeur is worth a visit
      I was going to recommend this. Even if churches are not your thing, the view from there is lovely. You also go through Montmartre to get there which is fascinating.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      I was going to recommend this. Even if churches are not your thing, the view from there is lovely. You also go through Montmartre to get there which is fascinating.
      And stop off at one, or all three on my recommendations. ASPIC is a short walk from Montmartre but the other two are very much in the heart of the area.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Oh. And 2 tips

1) If you’re looking for ASPIC do not confuse it with the nearby ASICS shop on Google maps.
      2) After a really nice meal with a decent amount of wine have coffee.....DO NOT have one of the two French DIPAs the waiter shows you. And under no circumstances then have the second.

0 Not allowed!
      Tour Montparnasse for a lovely night time view of the Paris skyline - including Eiffel lightshow.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

Paris trip

1 Not allowed!
      Thanks very much everyone who has contributed so far, much appreciated, very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Quinney; 09-07-2019 at 21:16.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      I was going to also say Montmartre and sacre cour, but don't get sucked into getting your portrait done.
      We asked our hotel for a restaurant recommendation and whilst I can't remember the name of the restaurant it was in the Jewish quarter which was really interesting, very old and dimly lit with lots of lovely bars, restaurants and shops in a very old traditional style.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      And make sure that you visit the Pantheon. Originally built to praise Saint Genevieve after Louis XV recovered from "illness" it became a secular cathedral to the people of France after the revolution (paraphrasing 220 years of complicated history) and holds the remains of France's greatest citizens including Victor Hugo, Marie Curie, Voltaire and Louis Braille to name a few. It is a fantastic building in itself and well worth a poke around.

If you are interested in history (and it is a nice day) Pere Lachaise is also fantastic.
      "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock