Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Paris trip

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Off to Paris at the end of the month, 3 night stay via Eurostar. Other than the traditional Eiffel Tower, boat trip up the Seine, Versailles, Norte Dame, Louvre any other suggestions for places to visit, restaurants worth eating in, travel options around Paris etc.
NSC came up trumps for Rome suggestions, so thanks in advance for any posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Off to Paris at the end of the month, 3 night stay via Eurostar. Other than the traditional Eiffel Tower, boat trip up the Seine, Versailles, Norte Dame, Louvre any other suggestions for places to visit, restaurants worth eating in, travel options around Paris etc.

Take your bike with you, there might be a race on that you could join.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I’ve been to Paris several times and apart from all of the above enjoyed the Catacombs.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We had an awesome time in Paris last year. Top recommendations:

Ground Control - it's a bit of a way out from but well worth it. Think the Open Market but with beer, music, art, excellent food and fewer fruit and veg stalls.
Le Perchoir - rooftop bar with amazing views of basically everything

Really though we had a load of fun when we found a gap in our schedule and just set up in a care / bar watching the world go past.

Hope you enjoy it!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Love Paris. Been several times. My favourite area is St germain des pres. Walkable to the Seine and Louvre and lots of cool restaurants bars & art galleries and green spaces. Similar to hampstead in london, mainly locals not all tacky and touristy like some parts of central paris.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
If it floats your boat, the Moulin Rouge is worth a visit. Can be a bit pricey but well worth it. Also if you have a daredevil streak take a taxi ride giving the driver a time limit to your chosen destination.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Take your bike with you, there might be a race on that you could join.

The bloke asked a normal question, yet once again you do your bit.

Stat bore, do us all a favour, and go and win the tour de France.....and then go and do a 100 laps of honour.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If you want a traditional dining experience, you should really have a meal at a Bouillon Brasserie!

I've always been a fan of Chartier - https://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/ - Great food, unbelievably cheap (still only 1 Euro for Soup of the Day), and a beautiful belle epoch setting. You do have to queue to get in as there are no reservations but it is absolutely worth the wait. Alternatively, Brasserie Julien is gorgeous and a pretty safe bet. If you're travelling by Eurostar, I'd recommend having a large lunch (great Steak Tartare) at Terminus Nord, which sits about 50 yards from the platform exit.

If you like literature/history, make sure that you pop into Shakespeare and Company, go to the back and head up the stairs - one of the best personal libraries in the world, and a beautiful place to stop for a breather. Just around the corner is Patisserie Odette who do the best Choux Pastries in the city - well worth taking ten minutes to grab a seat in the shadow of Notre Dame and enjoy a salted caramel choux!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If it floats your boat, the Moulin Rouge is worth a visit. Can be a bit pricey but well worth it. Also if you have a daredevil streak take a taxi ride giving the driver a time limit to your chosen destination.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

If you do fancy Moulin Rouge, book advanced tickets online before you go. We did 2 years ago and saved about 50% on walk-up prices.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
There really is loads of stuff to, it all depends what you enjoy doing - PM me what you're after and I can give recommendations

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We didn't bother with Louvre, looked upleasantly busy, however the Musee D'orsay is superb https://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html

If you're self catering ( we did) head to one of the markets in the morning for fresh food, or into the Latin quarter. we ate very well. eating out isn't cheap . . .but is generally good . . . go where the locals go and avouid the main drags of tourist shyte.

get an app called Lime . . .other are available . . . and hire little elctric scooters . . . pretty cheap and a really good way to cover some ground without killing your feet whilst getting fresh air and seeing everything. you can also hire bikes, and big scooters, subject to license etc.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] that the musee d'orsay is the absolute bollocks.

I guess because it's got the best collection of impressionists that it feels more 'French'. That and all the chat noir esque stuff really makes it a more Parisian museum than the Louvre.

That said I wouldn't miss the Louvre either, particularly the Caravaggio's and Delacroix. And the ancient Persian stuff which is always so much quieter than the insanity around Venus de Milo and Mona Lisa.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Pere Lachaise Cemetery is worth a visit, particularly the north-east corner with the Holocaust memorials and the wall against which the Communard leaders were executed in 1871. Staying in the north of the city Buttes Chaumont park is quite dramatic and well off the tourist track. Fondation Louis Vuitton in the Bois de Boulougne is an interesting new building. Just walking around Paris is always worthwhile and it is best not to set too punishing a schedule.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree with [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] that the musee d'orsay is the absolute bollocks.

I guess because it's got the best collection of impressionists that it feels more 'French'. That and all the chat noir esque stuff really makes it a more Parisian museum than the Louvre.

That said I wouldn't miss the Louvre either, particularly the Caravaggio's and Delacroix. And the ancient Persian stuff which is always so much quieter than the insanity around Venus de Milo and Mona Lisa.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

It's the Neavau and Deco stuff that really got my juices flowing . . . . oh and don't forget the PSG shop . . .nylon neymar replica shirts @ £100 obvs. ;-) get 2!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Got to have a boat trip on the Seine and a walk in the Luxembourg garden is great. If you go to the Louvre prepare to be shocked at the size of the Mona Lisa.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brewdog bar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here