Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Help needed to Save Fletching School

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Hi All,

East Sussex County Council have opened a consultation period on a proposal to close Fletching School. As a parent of 1 current and 1 ex-pupil I'm determined to not let this happen. Whilst the School is small, it is rated as Good by both OFSTED and ESCC's monitoring visits and provides a vital hub to the small parish of Fletching (and the surrounding areas). The Council's proposals would see children from the area having to travel to North Chailey for School each day, having to go past another over-subscribed school in Newick to get there.

The Council are stating that this is not for financial reasons, but have been able to provide little other reasoning behind this proposal other than "better outcomes", and the Governing Body, Parents, Teachers and the Village community as a whole are passionately against this. The forth-coming changes to all School's funding formula means that it will be difficult for any school to have a balanced budget and if the Council start closing small schools we will end up in a situation where only large, two-form entry schools exist. I feel strongly that parents should have a choice of how their kids are educated and this includes the right to chose smaller, more nurturing schools.

I'd really appreciate it if some of you could support our petition at http://chng.it/FNFyjCnzQy NSC's track record in influencing online polls etc is legendary and I think that this is an area that we could really make a difference.

You can find out more about the campaign at www.savefletchingschool.co.uk

Cheers,
Wayne

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hi All,

East Sussex County Council have opened a consultation period on a proposal to close Fletching School. As a parent of 1 current and 1 ex-pupil I'm determined to not let this happen. Whilst the School is small, it is rated as Good by both OFSTED and ESCC's monitoring visits and provides a vital hub to the small parish of Fletching (and the surrounding areas). The Council's proposals would see children from the area having to travel to North Chailey for School each day, having to go past another over-subscribed school in Newick to get there.

The Council are stating that this is not for financial reasons, but have been able to provide little other reasoning behind this proposal other than "better outcomes", and the Governing Body, Parents, Teachers and the Village community as a whole are passionately against this. The forth-coming changes to all School's funding formula means that it will be difficult for any school to have a balanced budget and if the Council start closing small schools we will end up in a situation where only large, two-form entry schools exist. I feel strongly that parents should have a choice of how their kids are educated and this includes the right to chose smaller, more nurturing schools.

I'd really appreciate it if some of you could support our petition at http://chng.it/FNFyjCnzQy NSC's track record in influencing online polls etc is legendary and I think that this is an area that we could really make a difference.

You can find out more about the campaign at www.savefletchingschool.co.uk

Cheers,
Wayne

Whatever they say, it IS about the money. There is a falling birth rate and the change in funding seems to be the cause of schools closing, classes of different years merging under one teacher and the impending arrival of 4 1/2 day school weeks in places. Mrs V is currently, effectively, being constructively dismissed in order for her school to get her off the wage bill. I wish your campaign well and hope you succeed or at least go down fighting and expose the funding scandal for what it is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tory Britain for you. Vote them out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Signed.

We're supposed to be cutting down on carbon emissions. Increasing the number of children having to be driven to and from school, and travel further, isn't going to help.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Signed - schools shouldn't be closed.

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated!

Could do with more of NSC's power to sway online polls and the like though. Just pretend that the petition is a vote for a honey badger..

D

Deleted member 22389

I wish you the best of luck. They are trying to convert a school over to an academy in Peacehaven, so far they have not listened too anyone opinions. ESCC along with LDC do not give a xxxx and will do what they want.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Read that too quickly and flipped the l and the e and thought 'they have schools for that? ??? :facepalm:

(And no, not 'hlep')

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I live in Uckfield and while I am lucky that I currently just about earn enough to send my sons to a local fee paying school, Fletching would have been our no. 1 choice of all the schools in the catchment area.

We have friends who have children there and are involved in the campaign.

Everything we saw at the school told us that this was a place that provides great education, support and opportunities for the children who attend, readying them to progress to secondary level.

With 1,000 houses expected to be built in Uckfield in the next 12 to 18 months, closing a good school in the area seems to be a backward step, particularly when more places than ever will be needed. Then again, the Local Authority hates spending money at the best of times, unless it is giving pay-rises to those at the top of the chain who are just intent on lining their own nests at the expense of everyone else.

Wishing you the best of luck with your campaign.

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Thanks everyone for the support and kind words so far. You're right Lanky, it is a great school. The nuturing environment that the staff have created means that every child has a chance of doing well there, even those that have been failed by other schools in the area. We've managed over 1k signatures in a couple of days so far, please do add you name if you can spare us 5 mins. Primary Schools in East Sussex are budgeting to have a deficit of over £4.2m by the end of the next 3 year window, it's time that we stand up for our kids education. Shutting a school is not going to fix this problem.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Signed and good luck.
Lack of funding and cuts to Primary (and Secondary) schools funding is nothing short of a national scandal and continues to see good staff leaving the sector in their droves and putting our children’s futures at risk.
Very short sighted decision...

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Just a quick Friday Morning bounce. Would be great if you guys could help us get to 2000 signatures in the first week of the petition.

East Sussex Schools are budgeting for a deficit of over £4m over the next three years, this is an effect of the revised funding formula for schools and we think that it's vital that parents are able to retain the choice to educate their children at small schools. Fletching is just the start of this and if we don't stand up to support our schools then this will continue across the county.

Please help us at http://chng.it/FNFyjCnzQy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here