Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Musical tributes

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not sure how but I had never seen this before but wow, that is something special. All starts off very well with Jeff Lynn and Tom Petty and then Prince just takes it to another level. Absolutely owns it without being disrespectful.

Genius.
Not just the guitar playing, but the showmanship, the presence, the way he looks, the lot.
Makes me go cold watching it.
So does his live Purple Rain.
Writes, composes, produces and plays other instruments as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boo but true. I know some people think he was good, including one of my friends whose taste normally isn't too far different from mine - well, I've listened, listened again, tried really hard - but no, nothing. Just nothing. Sorry!

OK as not-too-irritating piped music in supermarkets and lifts, I suppose....................................

You raise an interesting point. We all recognise that we have different tastes. However, it is tempting to slip into the trap of dismissing anything that does not meet our tastes as shit. I have certainly been guilty of it. Now, I am prepared to accept that Paul McCartney, John Denver, Whitney Huston, Val Doonican and others are not shit, but simply not to my taste. I make no comment about their intrinsic value.

At the other end of the spectrum, people can slip into the error of assuming just because someone is a virtuoso, they must be good, and deffo not shit. So I won't defend Prince on his virtuosity, ability to write and play, blah blah. Indeed, at one time, I dismissed Prince as 'shit'. The first time I heard 'Purple Rain' I though 'not for me......shit!'. But I heard it again later, not really listening, and it suddenly hit me. That bit of daylight from behind a previously closed door, let me into the world of Prince. I don't like all his stuff but at least I'm no longer a hater, and I do really love some of his ouvre.

People who say their favourite artists, however, are favourites because they are the 'best musicians' need to be slapped. I have heard this sort of rubbish said about John McLaughlin, John Coltrane, Hendrix (great virtuosos) and (more ludicrously) the members of Pink Floyd, Genesis and Fleetwood Mac. FFS, if you like it, like it, but don't 'like it' just because it makes you think you can gob off about your superior musical taste. Typically such nobs are Manchester United 'supporters'.

Anyway. . . . .and finally, I still feel I can dismiss some music as shit, and I question the humanity of the adherents. Donny Osmond, Tiny Tim, Barry Manilow.....but even with these I feel I may be being unfair to those people who love these performers and listen with pleasure to their music (presumably while engaging in auto-asphyxiation sex play).

:lolol: :rock:punk::thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You raise an interesting point. We all recognise that we have different tastes. However, it is tempting to slip into the trap of dismissing anything that does not meet our tastes as shit. I have certainly been guilty of it. Now, I am prepared to accept that Paul McCartney, John Denver, Whitney Huston, Val Doonican and others are not shit, but simply not to my taste. I make no comment about their intrinsic value.

At the other end of the spectrum, people can slip into the error of assuming just because someone is a virtuoso, they must be good, and deffo not shit. So I won't defend Prince on his virtuosity, ability to write and play, blah blah. Indeed, at one time, I dismissed Prince as 'shit'. The first time I heard 'Purple Rain' I though 'not for me......shit!'. But I heard it again later, not really listening, and it suddenly hit me. That bit of daylight from behind a previously closed door, let me into the world of Prince. I don't like all his stuff but at least I'm no longer a hater, and I do really love some of his ouvre.

People who say their favourite artists, however, are favourites because they are the 'best musicians' need to be slapped. I have heard this sort of rubbish said about John McLaughlin, John Coltrane, Hendrix (great virtuosos) and (more ludicrously) the members of Pink Floyd, Genesis and Fleetwood Mac. FFS, if you like it, like it, but don't 'like it' just because it makes you think you can gob off about your superior musical taste. Typically such nobs are Manchester United 'supporters'.

Anyway. . . . .and finally, I still feel I can dismiss some music as shit, and I question the humanity of the adherents. Donny Osmond, Tiny Tim, Barry Manilow.....but even with these I feel I may be being unfair to those people who love these performers and listen with pleasure to their music (presumably while engaging in auto-asphyxiation sex play).

:lolol: :rock:punk::thumbsup:

That trait was so typical of fans of Black Sabbath. Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. Fans who loved that sound, simply couldn’t accept that the music from the creative geniuses in many post punk and new wave bands was any cop ... because they’re not great technicians.

The overall sound of a track, its originality, the vocals, the lyrics, the melody, beat, harmony, all variously hit the soul of the listener. Who doesn’t give a **** about the classical training or technical credentials of the musicians. Giving us the beautifully diverse pop of the last 50 plus years.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ask your children if they've heard of Prince.

If not, show them this.

I've always loved that. The look on Tom Petty/Steve Winwood/Jeff Lynne's faces is an absolute picture

And, as if it couldn't get any better, it's got my favourite Brighton born and bred drummer on it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here