Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup - are you now a fan?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
That is a really shit argument. It make zero allowance for the importance of physicality over technique, and thus doesn't remotely 'say it all'.

The British U17 (boys) 100m record is well inside the Women's 100m World Record, of (a drug assisted) 10.49 sec.

By your rationale women's athletics is also pointless.

Not really a shit arguments though. 16/17 year old boys beat the current woman’s World Cup winners. Proving how awful the standard is. Peoples problem is that there is this constant continual praise for how good the woman’s game is, it isn’t. The standard is poor. People don’t like being lied to and told otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not sure its persuaded me to start going to games but the WC was entertaining enough and England did OK. I will doubtless watch the next women's WC assuming I am still here. Whether it's as good as mens football is irrelevant really, it can and should stand on its on two feet and given time I've no doubt that it will.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not really a shit arguments though. 16/17 year old boys beat the current woman’s World Cup winners. Proving how awful the standard is. Peoples problem is that there is this constant continual praise for how good the woman’s game is, it isn’t. The standard is poor. People don’t like being lied to and told otherwise.

Of course it is, and you are entirely missing the point.

Equally, there are plenty of 16 and 17 year old boys who would beat the current women's Olympic 100m champion. Are you suggesting that this invalidates her achievements in some way? It's the very same thing - you can't make any direct comparison, in any sport where physicality is important - it would be an utter nonsense to do so

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way I see it, it's against the laws of physics for a world cup to actually be bad. Even the Qatar one will probably be good once the football starts

This women's world cup was pretty good (preposterous VAR decisions notwithstanding). If it weren't for the Crawley factor, I'd be up for going along to an Albion game or two. I'd certainly support double headers, preferably before the men's game.

Oh and on the quality. I don't think the WWC was bad. The quality of crossing in that UK, USA game, puts ours to shame.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Of course it is, and you are entirely missing the point.

Equally, there are plenty of 16 and 17 year old boys who would beat the current women's Olympic 100m champion. Are you suggesting that this invalidates her achievements in some way? It's the very same thing - you can't make any direct comparison, in any sport where physicality is important - it would be an utter nonsense to do so

Were talking standard. Not olympics. You’re missing the point.

We’re being told how great the standard is. How amazing the keepers are. ( some saves have been great, others. Basic ). So when the commentators are shouting what epic saves. Passes. Etc. When in theory. They’re not that good. People have a right to an eye roll.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

It proves how awful your capacity for rational thought is.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No , and didn’t watch any of the WC either .

As for the double headers, not going to to do the pitch much good on a wet winters day is it .

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I enjoyed the World Cup, I even found a hate figure in that American girl with funny coloured hair.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But why has the BBC spent the time and money trying to drum up some enthusiasm? Certainly not because the interest was already there. It was absolutely all about political correctness.

Or maybe it was due to the fact that they knew we had a bloody good team with a decent chance of winning the thing.
A good run in a world competition would guarantee some good ratings.

A quick google search unearthed this link following the quarter-final success:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/womens-world-cup-more-viewers-watched-englands-quarter-final-win-than-mens-fa-cup-final-s30t8b6r8

The semi-final generated viewing figures of 11.6m making it the most watched live sports event for the beeb in 2019.
Beating all figures achieved from their coverage of the 6 nations and FA Cup.

Nothing to do about Political correctness in my view.
Everything to do with ratings.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
A double header game at the Amex as a one-off seems like a good idea.

I think it's a good idea at the beginning and end of the seasons. Get plenty of stuff going on around the stadium and let people leave the turnstiles between games and I'd be well up for that in the sun- make a day of it (heavily market it at kids and you're onto a winner)

Can't see if being overly popular when it's pissing down with rain in the middle of february though

boik

Were talking standard. Not olympics. You’re missing the point.

We’re being told how great the standard is. How amazing the keepers are. ( some saves have been great, others. Basic ). So when the commentators are shouting what epic saves. Passes. Etc. When in theory. They’re not that good. People have a right to an eye roll.

I think it's you that's missing the point. The standard WAS great compared to previous womens world cups. People keeping comparing the standard to mens football which is completely irrelevant. You can compare all sorts of things and say that one is not as good as another, but what's the point in that? Some of the womens teams played great womens football against other womens teams and the matches were mostly competitive and enjoyable. Thta's it. the goalkeepers aren't as tall as basketball players, the outfield players aren't as fast as 100 metre sprinters. That's also irrelevant.

I hope you don't tell your young son or daughter that you're not going to bother watching them until they are PL standard.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
A double header game at the Amex as a one-off seems like a good idea.

As a one off, I would agree.

But I'll be going to 20+ Albion men's games this season, that's enough for me thanks. As is 3-4 hours of my time each time we play - so it's not something I would do on a regular basis.

I'm also wary of all the "record attendance" headlines we'll get amongst the politically correct press when in reality most people wouldn't be there if the men weren't playing at the same time....

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think it's you that's missing the point. The standard WAS great compared to previous womens world cups. People keeping comparing the standard to mens football which is completely irrelevant. You can compare all sorts of things and say that one is not as good as another, but what's the point in that? Some of the womens teams played great womens football against other womens teams and the matches were mostly competitive and enjoyable. Thta's it. the goalkeepers aren't as tall as basketball players, the outfield players aren't as fast as 100 metre sprinters. That's also irrelevant.

I hope you don't tell your young son or daughter that you're not going to bother watching them until they are PL standard.

My point is. We’re being told it’s outstanding football. When in reality. It isn’t. I enjoyed partz of the World Cup. But right now wouldn’t pay to go to a female game

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Erm, the World Champions spent their entire tournament doing two things: talking about Trump or talking about the game as a direct comparison to the mens and wanting women in football to be paid the same amount as men in football. Why is it ok for them to base their entire tournament interviews around comparing themselves to the mens game but when spectators do it's not allowed?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be interesting to see how women's football develops in an already crowded football market.

I still think there's novelty value in women's football, and women's rights / sexual equality is certainly in vogue like never before, so it doesn't surprise me women's football is on the up. For me the question remains of where it fits in the hierarchy of spending my time watching football.

My priority of football TV viewing is as follows

1. Albion away games.
2= Prem games involving the teams around us
2= England competitive matches.
4. Top 6 Prem playing each other.
5. Other Prem matches.
6. England friendlies.

That's already a lot of football without factoring in the odd Championship game, the odd Real and Barca game. I don't know where watching the Albion women's team would slot into that - maybe 5th spot at a push.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here